The song that changed your life?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I don't remember any specific moment or song. All I remember is that I loved songs with awesome guitar solo's. :D
I'm pretty sure I obliviously listened to a lot of metal songs before I got into heavy metal. I knew nu-metal/grunge/groove and metallica which didn't really do it for me. I first started noticing metal thanks to bands with powerful, clean singers who hit the higher notes.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

ACCEPT - Fast As A Shark

Being 11/12 y/o this song totally blew my mind.I listened to this song 15/20 times per day.
Chris Noisehunter

Post by Chris Noisehunter »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TbCm0tLCMI

What got me hooked onto metal and spending all my cash on records, concerts, and leather jackets :wink:
demons in leather, metal forever
Vinny Black

Post by Vinny Black »

lunaboy wrote:ACCEPT - Fast As A Shark

Being 11/12 y/o this song totally blew my mind.I listened to this song 15/20 times per day.
Ditto!
"My music is not modern, it is merely badly played." Arnold Schönberg 1874-1951
deathster

Post by deathster »

I remember it clearly, like yesterday Metallica "For Whom the Bells Toll" in 1986 (or 1985)...since then I am addicted to Metal music... without gaps till present day.
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

Gotham City-Gotham City
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

My dad collects a lot of 50-60s era vinyl, so even as a little kid I heard tons of rockabilly, doo-wop, R&B, blues, etc. As a teenager in the late 80s I got into some glam metal stuff like Danger Danger and some rock-metal like AC/DC, Bonfire, and The Cult.

The album that got me into the heavier stuff was Overkill's 'The Years of Decay'. The first 3 tracks on that- 'Time to Kill', 'Elimination', and 'I Hate'- became instant favorites. Here was a band that wasn't interested in getting radio airplay or having a hit video. I think being exposed to my dad's music gave me an appreciation for these traits, since so many of the great blues, rockabilly, etc artists were small-time, obscure groups; at most they had maybe 1 hit each, but they recorded lots of great music that got overlooked. The same seemed true with Metal. With Overkill, here was a great band playing music that was heavy and uncompromising, never bound to get any mainstream attention, and I loved it!

Song-wise, one that made a HUGE impression on me was Helloween's 'I'm Alive'. I got one of those generic gas station cassette compilations called 'thrash Attack!' because it had several heavier bands on it that I hadn't heard yet, including Nuclear Assault, Death Angel, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Savatage, and others. It was a great comp- I still have that tape- but THE song for me was the Helloween track. I had never heard any power metal before, and it blew me away! I memorized that song- every word, beat, note. Living out in the sticks, it was a few months before I made it to a town big enough to have Helloween records in the local record store, but I snapped up 'Keepers pt 1' and it's been my favorite album ever since.

One of my best friends in college also cites 'I'm Alive' as having a profound impact on his life. Apparently as a teen he was running with some pretty racist punk guys- skinhead types I guess. He always said that Helloween really opened his eyes b/c it was music that was heavy but also Happy-sounding, and 'I'm Alive' helped steer him away from being a hateful, racist kind of person. I like to cite that story when people tell me that heavy metal is nothing but meaningless noise :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Speedeceiver

Post by Speedeceiver »

Mine was Thundersteel by Riot. I was already into metal when i heard it but it was the song(and album) that introduced me to the world of true metal.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Probably the track that made me get deeper into Metal was Cemetary Gates by Pantera. My story with heavy metal is quite an anomaly since I have/had no relatives/friends who listen to hm whatsoever. When I was about 12/13 I used to listen to the some rock mainstream shit, then at around age 16 I listened to the Pantera track and probably that made me more interested in the more 'extreme' stuff. Then the obvious Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Accept etc started being discovered and that was it. The 2nd tier of bands I delved into were, amongst others, St.Vitus, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Venom etc.
"Spitting in the face of mainstream music"

Owner of Iron Horde Promotions
Organizer of the Malta Doom Metal Festival
http://www.maltadoom.com
Metalion_SOS

Re: The song that changed your life?

Post by Metalion_SOS »

I Wanna Rock. I wouldn't be here otherwise.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

After tried Bowie, Zappa, 10 Years After and several 70's rockers and then Purple and Zep (who didn't also made much for me) suddenly i got my hands on this album and this song was the highlight for me. I was 14.

[youtube]GhZ4t7pRyjE[/youtube]
Knowledge Is Power
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Manowar-Battle Hymn
Listened around 1988/1989 at a metal radio show presented by the host as the "cell that created epic metal". I was already into heavy metal/hard rock the last 2 years (not too deeply though), but when I listened to it I realised what I wanted to do in my life. Regardless of any other life-choices this (epic metal) had to be the only solid constant in my life. And so it is.
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
GulliverFoyle

Post by GulliverFoyle »

If I had to epitomize my musical observations in one single track this would be:

[youtube]gm62B1u8Cxc[/youtube]
Another lonely night, another no name town
it starts to look the same, it starts to bring me down
so many promises you knew I'd never keep
I'll make it up to you, baby, don't give up on me
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Priamos wrote:Manowar-Battle Hymn
...but when I listened to it I realised what I wanted to do in my life.
Being a Manowar pussy? :D

Not sure which song it was exactly but I think Twisted Sister's "What you don't know" is among the candidates on a top position ...
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Prowler wrote:
Priamos wrote:Manowar-Battle Hymn
...but when I listened to it I realised what I wanted to do in my life.
Being a Manowar pussy? :D

Not sure which song it was exactly but I think Twisted Sister's "What you don't know" is among the candidates on a top position ...
:P At least my early metal self would have been proud of me still carrying the torch! I wonder what your past self would have said to you, nowadays, that the half of your collection consists of guys dressed in pink!! :P :lol: :twisted:
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...