Heavy Metal Accents

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Fucking Åmål wrote:
The Sentinel wrote:EPIC:

CRUSH: Kingdom Of The Kings LP
You forced me to hear that again.Top Greek band.But i think the Vocals And the Pronunciation sounds strange and heavy for someone abroad don't you think so?
No, they do sound strange and sometimes annoying even for Greeks. And that goes especially for the pronounciation which is probably the worst i've ever heard (along with that of some italian guys). A pity because the music is indeed very good.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

ION BRITTON wrote:
No, they do sound strange and sometimes annoying even for Greeks. And that goes especially for the pronounciation which is probably the worst i've ever heard (along with that of some italian guys). A pity because the music is indeed very good.
No the pronunciation and the vocals excite me!I prefer bands singing in their own's country pronunciation instead of sounding like an English.Many european acts of the 80's sounding this way!About The Italian groups who do you think have that pronunciation you refered?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Fucking Åmål wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:
No the pronunciation and the vocals excite me!I prefer bands singing in their own's country pronunciation instead of sounding like an English.Many european acts of the 80's sounding this way!About The Italian groups who do you think have that pronunciation you refered?
Hmmm, without being that terrible, some of them that come to my mind now are Dark Quarterer, Gunfire, Rollerball, Touch of Devil, Allied Forces etc. It's not that i don't listen to them of course, but they do lose some points because of that fact...

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I thought this was cool subject worthy of its own thread.

For instance, what are non-Swedes' opinion of Ola Ohlsson (GOTHAM CITY 7" + MLP)?
This guy had quite a "special" voice, very expressionless and with a HEAVY Swedish accent. Usually this makes my ears cry, but personally I think they're so unique I still love them.

Another example: first time I heard BLACK HOLE I couldn't help but sneer at Measel's weird pronounciations, but with time it's gotten so associated with the sound of the band I would NEVER like to hear their songs without his "Demo-niiak Cii-i-tii!"s and "Blind meeeeehn and ooohkult forsiiis!" 8)
humus

Post by humus »

I think it is on some Morbid angel record that the singer really lisps.
Also, the accent on the first Hirilorn demo is hilarious, the ultimate stereotype of a Frenchman speaking English! But since it's black metal, maybe most people will not have heard it.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote:I thought this was cool subject worthy of its own thread.

For instance, what are non-Swedes' opinion of Ola Ohlsson (GOTHAM CITY 7" + MLP)?
This guy had quite a "special" voice, very expressionless and with a HEAVY Swedish accent. Usually this makes my ears cry, but personally I think they're so unique I still love them.

Another example: first time I heard BLACK HOLE I couldn't help but sneer at Measel's weird pronounciations, but with time it's gotten so associated with the sound of the band I would NEVER like to hear their songs without his "Demo-niiak Cii-i-tii!"s and "Blind meeeeehn and ooohkult forsiiis!" 8)
Same with me here. It really depends on the occasion. The example of BLACK HOLE is very indicative! Another one: Necromayhem (Sakis T.) of ROTTING CHRIST has a very heavy Greek accent, he almost ''fucks'' every word that demands a good pronounciation, but strangely enough it doesn't bother me! On the other side, i always have a hard time when i listen to CRUSH or SPITFIRE...

metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

Most of bands singing in latin-related languajes have serious troubles with english: spanish, italian, french, portuguese, but I never mind as long as the music is good
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I loved the way some '80 speed metal bands from belgium pronounced english. The best example is Battering Ram (great 7"). The second song is more than hilarious.
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

metalmaster wrote:Most of bands singing in latin-related languajes have serious troubles with english: spanish, italian, french, portuguese, but I never mind as long as the music is good
They would be better off using their own languages as they sound more melodic.

I don't think V8 or Der Kaiser would work with english vocals.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I like the terrific German accent of the guy in THE HAND OF DOOM !!
"There ain't no rrrunnin' away,the Hand of Doom will rrreach you".
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

metalmaster wrote:Most of bands singing in latin-related languajes have serious troubles with english: spanish, italian, french, portuguese, but I never mind as long as the music is good
I 100% agree with you, each attempt of a French metal band to release an album in English is a disaster !
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

FenderMedium wrote:
They would be better off using their own languages as they sound more melodic.

I don't think V8 or Der Kaiser would work with english vocals.
Same here! Simply check those horrible english versions of SORTILEGE's albums.

EDIt: Mr omen of hate just said it while I was writing my post!

And don't forget japanese bands and their so special accent! That adds a special touch, and when hearing the voice of the singer you already know from where the band comes from!
Gott ist tot.
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Oddly enough most English speakers don't sing with their regional accent.
tomas

Post by tomas »

my favourite misspronounced English can be found on the first Necronomicon LP. It's hilarious. Especially this one:
Heejdies Ynweesjuuuuuuun (=Hades Invasion) 8)
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Why do the Romance languages have the most problems with English?