Which concert will you attend next ?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Black Axe wrote:
The Sentinel wrote:
omen of hate wrote:
I saw them live in Paris one month ago, , I was a little deceived by their set-list, I was expecting them to play more "rare" songs from that period, instead of playing "Run to the Hills", "The Trooper", "Hallowed be thy Name", ... songs that everybody has heard 1000 times live. :twisted:
But, it was great to hear "Powerslave" and "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" !!
That's indeed true. Instead of "Run To The Hills" they could play the monstersong "Somewhere In Time" for instance.
Priest has a much better set-list this year as far as I'm concerned. Though RotAM does make up for a lot.
When I saw Priest last week they only played 3 tracks from the new album.

It defiantly wasn't the greatest set-list that I've ever had the opportunity to hear them play, but there was defiantly variety, especially with the odd few Painkiller tracks.

Not a bad show by any means and the sound was great, huge props go towards their sound engineer.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
leifkr

Post by leifkr »

Some for the autumn:

Y&T and Tankard in Oslo, two separate concerts that is :wink: And Keep It True.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I go to see Scottish Punk legends OI POLLOI at the end of the month.
The last time i saw them, was 15 years ago when my old band played with them at a demonstration outside a nuclear submarine base, complete with armed guards patrolling the perimiter fence and shadowy figures photographing the bands, audience & protestors.
Hardcore or what?
Helm

Post by Helm »

OI POLLOI hah, they take their name from the greek for 'the many'?
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Death to Xmas fest December 19th in Paris : Samael, Dismember, Flotsam And Jetsam, Helstar, Onslaught, Heathen, Monstrosity, Hatchet.

Nice bill !
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

omen of hate wrote:Death to Xmas fest December 19th in Paris : Samael, Dismember, Flotsam And Jetsam, Helstar, Onslaught, Heathen, Monstrosity, Hatchet.

Nice bill !
If that's your next, you'll be in for one long waiting...
anthares

Post by anthares »

Helm wrote:OI POLLOI hah, they take their name from the greek for 'the many'?
Gaelic maybe?
Great live band at least some years back!!
Helm

Post by Helm »

I'd be very surprised if OI POLLOI means anything in Gaelic.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Oi!
anthares

Post by anthares »

Helm wrote:I'd be very surprised if OI POLLOI means anything in Gaelic.
Well, it was a wild guess. They just released album with gaelic lyrics so that just popped in my mind.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Going now to the TEN YEARS AFTER Open Air !
Sadly Alvin Lee isn't with them anymore and it's raining a bit !
I have to go before the big rain starts !

It's only 100 metres from my apartement ! I can already hear them play !
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

anthares wrote:
Helm wrote:I'd be very surprised if OI POLLOI means anything in Gaelic.
Well, it was a wild guess. They just released album with gaelic lyrics so that just popped in my mind.
You're both right in different ways, the phrase "Hoi Polloi", is indeed Greek in origin, and as Helm pointed out, it literally means "The many". The phrase (somehow), was adopted & slightly adapted by the English language, but in English it is a slightly derogatory term to describe the masses, the common people, peasants or riff raff.
The band took off the "H" for a play on words, as they formed many years ago during the first age of "Oi" Punk bands. However they were always a bit too smart & politically left wing to be lumped in with that particular sub-genre.
They did indeed record an album a few years back in Scots Gaelic, as far as i'm aware, the first time a Punk band has done so.
Gaelic was always a minority language in Scotland, with several disparate dialects varying between the West and East Coasts.
As such, what passes for Scots Gaelic nowadays, is really a bastardised version, a combination of dialects which were never spoken together when the language was more widespread.
Nowadays, it's mainly the Highlands & Islands where Gaelic speakers are found.
Phew, hope that explains things a little.
:D
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Just back from Warsaw IRON MAIDEN gig.Great show and celebration of Bruce 50s :)
Helm

Post by Helm »

bigfootkit, you're a well of wisdom, thanks for the info, it clears up a lot. I am not 100% sure, but I don't think OI POLLOI ever had an H in front of it in greek writing, but it's not a big deal. Does the band prononuce it OH-EE PO-LO-EH or proper greek EE POLEE?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Helm wrote:bigfootkit, you're a well of wisdom, thanks for the info, it clears up a lot. I am not 100% sure, but I don't think OI POLLOI ever had an H in front of it in greek writing, but it's not a big deal. Does the band prononuce it OH-EE PO-LO-EH or proper greek EE POLEE?
Glad you found it interesting Helm, after i posted it i wondered if anyone would even bother to read it!
:)
I can't take credit for the linguistic info, that came courtesy of my most excellent dictionary. I'm still curious to find out how the Greek phrase came to be adopted/adapted into the English language, might be an interesting story to it.
And it's pronounced "Oy-Pol-Oy" in English & by the band.
If i get the chance to talk to them after the gig i'll be sure to bore them with all this.
:wink: