"Metal from Hellas" Documentary with English Subs

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
daniel

Post by daniel »

@ Vaggelis: I think you misunderstood the point of 'going further'; just because YOU don't want metal to become 'mainstream'. The point is that it is wrong, overall, that hard-working metal bands cannot make a living off playing, heavy metal, in this country.

As for including everything; that's never going to happen in any documentary. Ever.

The point about MP3s was pretty poignant to me and it was also made clear that they are an asset even in the lives of 'real' fans these days.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Had watched it last year, although it didn't impress me a lot it was a nice watch. Two of my biggest complaints are first that many important bands are missing (while other less important/average ones are featured) and secondly some of the statements are a bit cliche, people are talking about some things as if they are making some kind of revelation when in fact these things are quite obvious for any greek fella who has listened seriously to heavy metal for 5 years or more.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

daniel wrote:Avenger should watch it to see Greg is actually a good guy ;)
Sure, if "good guy" means paying for something and receiving nothing then filing a paypal dispute after several failed attempts at contacting the guy only to have him purposely delay the process by providing a FAKE Tracking Number and bullshit information all the while being threatened by the hack to fly to Canada and apparently "kick my ass".

Great guy indeed.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
daniel

Post by daniel »

I suppose I am less critical towards this than others here because I was ill all week with nothing to do and when I got a chance to watch this film it felt like a breath of fresh air and cheered me up :)

Well Avenger, I hope the troubles get sorted in the end :)
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
CloudsOfMetal

Post by CloudsOfMetal »

Great documentary! It must have been really hard to release a metal album in Greece back then and the amount of violence in the scene surprised me.
only the heaviest weather available
Angelheart

Post by Angelheart »

CloudsOfMetal wrote:Great documentary! It must have been really hard to release a metal album in Greece back then and the amount of violence in the scene surprised me.
Yes there were many stabbings and killings in the concerts here in the late 80's and early 90's!!!
Bane

Post by Bane »

That was a fantastic watch. It makes me pissed off I'm not going back to UTH next week :(
Bane

Post by Bane »

Avenger wrote:I can't say that with much excitement though because generally I find the greek scene rather lackluster.
When you say "scene" what you really mean is bands, right? Because you can't really comment on a scene unless you've experienced it. (I never got the impression from your posts that you spent any amount of time in Athens or Thessaloniki but apologies if I'm wrong.)
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

He is a mod,he can comment on anything... :lol:
Never trust the Goblin King....
GJ

Post by GJ »

The only way the Greek scene sucks is that it has made me jealous seeing all the cool bands traveling there and playing to small-ish but genuinely enthusiastic crowds. Now, you don't see that happening in Edmonton (or Sundsvall).
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Bane wrote:
Avenger wrote:I can't say that with much excitement though because generally I find the greek scene rather lackluster.
When you say "scene" what you really mean is bands, right? Because you can't really comment on a scene unless you've experienced it. (I never got the impression from your posts that you spent any amount of time in Athens or Thessaloniki but apologies if I'm wrong.)
All technicalities aside, yes, that's what I meant.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

GJ wrote:The only way the Greek scene sucks is that it has made me jealous seeing all the cool bands traveling there and playing to small-ish but genuinely enthusiastic crowds. Now, you don't see that happening in Edmonton (or Sundsvall).
Definitely. Metal music seems to be a lot more trendy in greece for some reason. The bands don't generally suck, but I wouldn't say any of them do anything special for me. I don't pull out a Spitfire, Sarissa or Vavel recording and say, "that's a gem" especially when compared to what other countries have to offer.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Avenger wrote:
GJ wrote:The only way the Greek scene sucks is that it has made me jealous seeing all the cool bands traveling there and playing to small-ish but genuinely enthusiastic crowds. Now, you don't see that happening in Edmonton (or Sundsvall).
Definitely. Metal music seems to be a lot more trendy in greece for some reason. The bands don't generally suck, but I wouldn't say any of them do anything special for me. I don't pull out a Spitfire, Sarissa or Vavel recording and say, "that's a gem" especially when compared to what other countries have to offer.
That's true, but much of the time on festivals and concerts I've been to, the Greeks are enthusiastic and knowledgeable. They are in the front row, banging their heads, raising their fists and they sing along in loud voices possibly more melodically challenged than my own(!). And they are generally nice too. That has to count for something when putting a value on the general value of the "Greek scene".

When it comes to bands, I agree there aren't too many great ones. I love Crush and Northwind and there are quite a few decent bands but very few great ones.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

great_knuthulhu wrote:
Avenger wrote:
That's true, but much of the time on festivals and concerts I've been to, the Greeks are enthusiastic and knowledgeable. They are in the front row, banging their heads, raising their fists and they sing along in loud voices possibly more melodically challenged than my own(!). And they are generally nice too. That has to count for something when putting a value on the general value of the "Greek scene".

When it comes to bands, I agree there aren't too many great ones. I love Crush and Northwind and there are quite a few decent bands but very few great ones.
When I say "scene" I mean the bands within it. The fan base of said bands I can't speak for in terms of a first person perspective and regardless is besides the point.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Okay, I finally got a chance to watch the whole documentary and didn't find it all that informative. I did learn a couple of things but not a lot. I also can’t figure out why a documentary based solely on the greek scene has back round music consisting mostly of US bands?
Last edited by Avenger on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.