Elect the best OMEN album

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Their best effort

Battle Cry
58%
Warning of Danger
29%
The Curse
10%
Nightmares
No votes
Escape To Nowhere
2%
Reopening The Gates
No votes

Total votes: 48

J.K.

Elect the best OMEN album

Post by J.K. »

Hi,

I was listening recently to Battle Cry and Warning of Danger... And I can't say which one I love the most... So I'd like to see if you can choose and why hehe!

I hope there is enough OMEN enthusiasts here, I think yes.

So tell us which album kills it all and why. Also if you got stories about the band and all, let's share them.

I never heard their recent albums, but I include them just in case :D
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I only really like the debut. But I'm not familiar with the last two options/albums. Mostly because I wasn't that impressed with the songs I heard of it.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Well I did buy "Eternal Black Dawn" (six years ago when I was naively hoping modern heavy metal could be interesting too) and, unsurprisingly, it did not impress me at all. Granted, the album does have 80s feeling of sorts, but that`s all i find interesting about it.

My vote wiil go for "Warning.." although the debut isn`t anything worse. I also like "The curse" whilst the new songs from "Nightmares" do not appeal to me at all. They sound as if the band were trying to adopt thrash metal to their traditional song structures, but they failed. Definitely.

Never heard "Escape to Nowhere" let alone the 1996 album.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

I voted for Battle Cry, because it contains there best compositions BUT, the sound is sometimes blurry, and there are some useless tracks. Warning is more homogenic and well produced.

MetalizeR

Post by MetalizeR »

Battle Cry !
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

[x] Battle Cry

"The curse" and "Warning..." are equally good to me, so Place 2 for both. :)
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

The first two are where it's at for me, though as has been mentioned before, their strengths lie in different areas. I'll take Battle Cry right now for those compositions. Even the least good songs were still pretty good to me.

Later Omen ranges from average to plain awful, but what I've heard of their new material at least sounded decent.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Keir

Post by Keir »

My favorites from best to least:

Warning Of Danger
The Curse
Battle Cry
Metal Massacre V ;)
Nightmares
Escape To Nowhere

Not familiar with anything later than Escape...
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I've voted for "Battle Cry". A timeless classic of US metal !! I love the intensity of the record, no fillers and the production. I enjoy their 2nd album too but "Battle Cry" is way above it.

I'm not familiar with their newer material too. I only have "Re-opening the Gates", not bad but nothing unforgettable .
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

I voted for "Battle Cry". It is just one of those albums, where I can recall from memory every riff and every vocal line. Just because it was one of those albums I played non-stop, until Attacker's "Battle At Helms Deep" became a personal favorite. Plus at the time of its release, I thought the singer had a original sounding timbre, and at least to me J.D. Kimball was a one-of-a-kind vocalist.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

DeathMetalWeenie wrote:Plus at the time of its release, I thought the singer had a original sounding timbre, and at least to me J.D. Kimball was a one-of-a-kind vocalist.
I wished I had lived back then. :cry:

But I totally agree on Kimball's voice - he had this melancholic tone, I think it came straight from the bottom of his heart.
Besides the complete "Battle cry" LP the song "Torture me" is one of my alltime faves.
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Warning of danger & then battle cry.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

DeathMetalWeenie: Yeah Attacker's Battle At Helm's Deep is such a great record!!

As for OMEN, I don't know if it's only Kimball's vocals, but this is one of a few bands that make me feel so nostalgic/melancholic. They got this incredible "past" feeling... totally blowing my mind each time I listen to it.

Like a warrior of old times fighting on the battleground to honor his ancestors!! :twisted:

Aiden

Post by Aiden »

I voted for Battle Cry even though Warning Of Danger is probably my favourite song by Omen. It's one of those songs that is stuck in my head for days after I listen to it.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

All first three slay, eternal US metal masterpieces. My vote goes to WoD. I don't know how many times I've listened to this album in my life.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart