Metal Demo Book

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

why dont just start with a USA Metal demos 1980-2000 volume and then other like, french or scandinavian or british demos??
Plantweed

Post by Plantweed »

That would be an interesting way to do it, but I like the idea of breaking it down by decade. You can track the rise of all the various subgenres this way.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

Nice idea, but I'm very very sceptical about the completeness of such a project.
When I just have a look on Strappado's Blog or the Metal-archives, there are thousands and thousands of demos listed, and this is just the "tip of the iceberg".

Nevertheless I'm also much interested in this book, so good luck. :wink:
Plantweed

Post by Plantweed »

Strappado and Lockjaw, the best '80s demo blogs on the web, have been working closely with me, filling requests. They will both get a special mention in the book.

When I started the book, I did some research and estimated between 4000 and 5000 bands, and 6000 to 8000 demos would be included. My outline is now up to around 6000 bands and 8000 demos. Just in the As, here are the stats:

463 bands
756 demos, of which I've found and reviewed 404 so far

I'm also hoping to include extras, like reviews of tape comps, top 10 lists, and scene reports from traders, writers, and band members.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

no matter what way you will choose to complete the work, you have my support.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

great_knuthulhu wrote:And Avenger; no book ever published on history has ever been complete. Yet, would we not be much the poorer had they not been? If Plantweed includes everything he can find at a set date and that includes a significant portion of the demos, the missing ones is not really a big problem, surely? I mean, Malc's NWOBHM book is not complete, but I draw great enjoyment from it anyway.
I'm not questioning the enjoyment factor, but the idea that this would be like an encyclopedia. Like I said, I applaud his efforts but unless he is willing to dedicate the time in the future to keep releasing new volumes in attempt to actually cover everything, I can see how the book might just be interpreted as a "collection of stuff that I have personally heard about" rather then "a book that will cover every known 1980s metal demo". Surely, with a list of already 10000 demos there is going to be stuff that all of us besides maybe ION BRITTON, (haha) have heard before but by no means do I think it's physically possible to cover such a vast amount of material especially when it comes to sourcing the information from reliable places, i.e. not Metal Archives.

That aside my main concern would be the accuracy of the content. but this seems to be a top priority already.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Plantweed

Post by Plantweed »

Avenger, I will say that, without bragging, this will be about as complete as any one person can possibly make it. I have a lot of contacts from my trading/zine days, and so far many people have been very helpful with info and demos; I started trading around 1985, did three issues of a zine from around '88 to '94. I want this book to be a real tribute to the underground trading and zine scene of the period, and once old heads from back then hear about the project they're very enthused.
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

incredible! i cant wait until this is finished
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Hopefully there will be a huge feature on the mighty Desexult demos!??!
:wink:
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Yeah Desexult is great.
Last edited by J.K. on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Plantweed

Post by Plantweed »

Of course Desexult will be in there. Already reviewed SODFOAD. I do still need the following demos of theirs if anyone can help:

Live 7.3.86 (March, 1986)
Pana Wichee Salitu (August, 1988)
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Sounds like an awesome project that I'm sure will receive a great response when released.

Re: your question about glam/hair bands, I would say put them in their own volume. The info is worth publishing, but including those styles with 'real' metal will make a huge project that much bigger. Also, I odn't know that glam/hair fans will want all the info on heavier demos, and I doubt most fans of the heavy stuff are going to complain that the glam material was excluded. Sure, having everything in one place is nice, but if it means adding hundreds of pages and years to the project, I'd vote for 2 separate volumes.

What zine did you publish Bob? Your name is familiar but I can't place it.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

It doesn't really matter if the book is incomplete. Just publish what you have, and immediately start working on volume 2. That's how most encyclopedias were written back in the day.

Even though I'm no demo collector, I'd be very interested in getting this.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Plantweed wrote:Of course Desexult will be in there. Already reviewed SODFOAD. I do still need the following demos of theirs if anyone can help:

Live 7.3.86 (March, 1986)
Pana Wichee Salitu (August, 1988)

I have a rip of the live-demo, if you're interested.
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

Bob, if you use M. Archives to get some infos you're assured to get wrong facts.... stick to your old mags/ zines and original demos and most of all OLD traders list!...Quote by Big Mouth.

I would actually like to see a "Snakepit Version" or a "Snakepit Edition" of this book, not ever band, just the bands that deserve the most attention, that are covered non-stop in Snakepit Magazine. Or maybe in Snakepit issuse # 20, a list of the top 200 demos of all time, to seperate the must have recordings, from the ones that deserve to be stuck at the bottom of the delete barrel bin. I found a awesome Sindrome tape in of those dam things...!!!! aaaaarrrrrgghhhhh !!! Thank god for the Sindrome CD from Brutal Planet Records :oops: