Was QUORTHON a "liar" ?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Vaggelis wrote:
J.K. wrote:
Vinny Black wrote:And, who isn't influenced by Motörhead? Even God listens to Motörhead, although Lemmy don't wanna hear from Him.
hehe!

Don't forget that too:

Makes even more sense :lol:
Classic pic. 8)
Who ever spray painted that billboard is one badass son of a bitch.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Why ? You're christian ?
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

Dam I was thinking about this also, if there was no Venom influence, why and how would he come up with the stage name of Quorthon. Like the 3 metal maniacs in Venom had, the trouble with the liar claim, is dam Quorthon must of been interviewed tons of times, and probably said different things at differnet times. If a artist has a secret influence, and wants to keep a imitators at the copy cat stage, that artist may use of misdirection, to be the in leader wave of a sub-genre, and not in the second wave, where everyone screams clone band bloody murder.

Artist may one day say hey that a band has a cool album, and the influence is subconscience, and then the next day, he may go whoa, that band kicks major f*cking ass, and this is the way to go.

Artist make more money if they can overhype their place in history, or at least make it appear to be more original than they real are. Remember in those early fanzine days of when the "internet" was not computers, but Kick Ass Monthly stateside and Metal Forces in Europe, it was easier for artist to make statements where the facts of influences were omitted, and have adverts where Tiger Beat, Circus and Hit Parder gave rave reviews and pass that off as creating a "buzz" with in the "industry".

But at the end of the day, what really matters is I total worship Quorthon' s crazy mixture of Venom, Discharge, ChargedGBH, and Motorhead. Maybe even Slayer "Show No Mercy", that album floored me to the max when it was first released in December of 1983. It may of not been in his inital wave of influences, but at some point Quorthon had to just realize that band is f***king KILLER !!!!!!
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

J.K. wrote:Why ? You're christian ?
That was a compliment.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

J.K. wrote:Why ? You're christian ?
Badass, as in my idol.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Hahaha ok!

Just that "bad ass SON OF A BITCH" sounds to me like "asshole motherfucker" :D

This is why there is war in the world, miscommunication :lol:

great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I think there is really little reason to take everything Quorthon said in interviews very seriously. I doubt he was always 100% serious. Also, interviewers may not have understood irony or sarcasm in all cases.

"What, me influenced by Venom or Motorhead? Never! Haven't heard any of their stuff" [rolls eyes]
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
WCNOISE

Post by WCNOISE »

At the 1 album you all see total Venom worship dont you i see it for many years its all there Cronos posse way
I buy t-shirts -swet-shirts Long sleves eps demos and many more
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I think the fact that he constantly denied the fact that "Boss"/Bosse/his label boss was his own father through the years leads us to believe we have to take his words with a pinch of salt...

I've always found the supposed VENOM influence to be overrated though. I'm sure he listened to them and probably owned the albums, but to me the "Yellow and/or White Goat" GODLY debut doesn't sound that much like the Newcastle trio - more like Venom's lyrics superimposed on Motörhead and early HC (...and a whole bloody lot better for it imho - SHOOT ME!)
I guess he was fascinated by the concept but wanted to improve it 8)

SLAYER/RiB-influence in BFD? No more (much less actually) than most other extreme Metal releases in the late 80's.

The MANOWAR influence in his "Viking-era" I find indisputable though, but no more controversial than - let's say - the BLACK SABBATH influence in PENTAGRAM or the JUDAS PRIEST vibe in ACCEPT... I say if you like it, swing with it!
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

DaN wrote:I think the fact that he constantly denied the fact that "Boss"/Bosse/his label boss was his own father through the years leads us to believe we have to take his words with a pinch of salt...

I've always found the supposed VENOM influence to be overrated though. I'm sure he listened to them and probably owned the albums, but to me the "Yellow and/or White Goat" GODLY debut doesn't sound that much like the Newcastle trio - more like Venom's lyrics superimposed on Motörhead and early HC (...and a whole bloody lot better for it imho - SHOOT ME!)
I guess he was fascinated by the concept but wanted to improve it 8)

SLAYER/RiB-influence in BFD? No more (much less actually) than most other extreme Metal releases in the late 80's.

The MANOWAR influence in his "Viking-era" I find indisputable though, but no more controversial than - let's say - the BLACK SABBATH influence in PENTAGRAM or the JUDAS PRIEST vibe in ACCEPT... I say if you like it, swing with it!
I found Under the sign... and BFD much more brutal than hell awaits and reign in blood actually... Of course some years of difference when recorded but... And it was only Quorthon playing all guitars while Slayer had two guitar players...

Also I find Bathory way more barbarian and epic than Manowar... Manowar pushes me to sit and enjoy their well done albums, while Bathory takes me to a foreign shore on a drakkar holding a sword in hand!!!

Still I think that theres is much more Motorhead and GBH on the first Bathory album than Venom...
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Wait... We can't compare Blood Fire Death and Reign In Blood. Reign In Blood was made TWO years before Blood Fire Death. So if Blood Fire Death is more "brutal" thant RIB... It's juste because SLAYER show the way to follow to the whole metal world.

And in fact I don't find BFD more brutal thant RIB. I never thought of compare these albums... But I find a strong SLAYER influence in Quorthon's work.

Regarding Venom, the raw production, the satanist lyrics and the punk vibe are the elements that mpust had influenced Quorthon, event if musically it's not so close to Newcastle's horde.

DaN: So Boss is his father ?! I always heard it was just a rumor... :?

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

J.K. wrote:DaN: So Boss is his father ?! I always heard it was just a rumor... :?
It's an indisputable and confirmed fact that Boss was his dad. The way he denied it all these years is both fascinating and enlightening when dissecting the character of the guy, don't you think?
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Yes, right.

This guy was strange... At least he really managed to keep his private life private ^^

metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

J.K. wrote:Wait... We can't compare Blood Fire Death and Reign In Blood. Reign In Blood was made TWO years before Blood Fire Death. So if Blood Fire Death is more "brutal" thant RIB... It's juste because SLAYER show the way to follow to the whole metal world.
:shock: A Slayer fan or what??
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

A Slayer DIE HARD fan! :lol:

That's true that I am completely mad with this band since I'am 15.

But seriously isn't Slayer one of the most important extreme metal act ? They have explored the boundaries of Thrash Metal and even paved the way for both Death Metal and Black Metal.