Sharing Rare Records

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
OpenMetal!

Sharing Rare Records

Post by OpenMetal! »

[Split from 'Texas Metal' thread./Mod]

vxn123 wrote:Perhaps the only metal band from Texas with no reference anywhere on the internet....METAL MERCHANT! There some collectors that have the 2-3 known copies but I guess they keep information and music from themselves!
Hi, it's incredible! This is what I sent to lildogtoo ebay user, the man who sold "Metal Merchant" more than 3 years ago.
http://www.popsike.com/METAL-MERCHANT-S ... 11903.html
Hi, this date: 19-09-2007 you sold "Metal Merchant" private EP. This is the only reference about the album at least on the Net. Maybe the album isn't real. I don't know how can a metal collector buy something he/she has never listened before. And what is more, how someone who have an album like this isn't able to share it with the several true metal fans that are crazy for listening to it?! Maybe the content isn't good at all, but if we want to believe in this album, we need to listen to it!
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Obviously people had no problem forking a lot of cash for it. This is called obscurity factor and is much more powerful drive than listening to the tunes and buying it for the actual music value. Which is never the case with most mega-rarities, so it is really irrelevant if one has heard the songs or not. If anything, making the songs available will probably devalue it.
doomedplanet

Re: METAL MERCHANT

Post by doomedplanet »

of course the Metal Merchant lp is real, what a stupid thing to say.
Why not go to Texas and dig for the record if you want it, who knows, you might find one....
metaloren wrote: Hi, it's incredible! This is what I sent to lildogtoo ebay user, the man who sold "Metal Merchant" more than 3 years ago.
http://www.popsike.com/METAL-MERCHANT-S ... 11903.html
Hi, this date: 19-09-2007 you sold "Metal Merchant" private EP. This is the only reference about the album at least on the Net. Maybe the album isn't real. I don't know how can a metal collector buy something he/she has never listened before. And what is more, how someone who have an album like this isn't able to share it with the several true metal fans that are crazy for listening to it?! Maybe the content isn't good at all, but if we want to believe in this album, we need to listen to it!
daniel

Post by daniel »

Yeah that was a strange post, but still, this Metal Merchant record is subject to willful obscurity, it could easily have been sampled but it hasn't happened as far as I know, and that signals monetary interest, obviously as we're talking about sales of products, but it doesn't sit well with me. I know it's a naive stance, but it's still nothing to respect, and no matter how verbose anyone gets it's still shitty behaviour, collector bullshit.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
vxn123

METAL MERCHANT

Post by vxn123 »

Of course nobody is obliged to share the music of a mega-rare record but in case he has no copies to sell it's fair to give the music to some persons that dig rare music and perhaps he may also learn someday a new discovery from them...I personally own some unique items but will only share them with persons that search this particular records....having some mega rare items in your wantlist means that you have spent time on research....and that deserves respect.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Basically these are things that appeal to people's egos, no discussion, and I fall foul to it as well.
OpenMetal!

Re: METAL MERCHANT

Post by OpenMetal! »

doomedplanet wrote:of course the Metal Merchant lp is real, what a stupid thing to say.
Why not go to Texas and dig for the record if you want it, who knows, you might find one....
Hi, not as stupid thing as you think! Are you absolutely sure that Metal Merchant is a band from Texas? If affirmative, how do you know it?
I ask you this because the person who uploaded the band to metal-archives told me literally "as for the origin...I learned from somewhere that band was from Texas...".

So, Is Metal Merchant a band from Texas or not???

References, please!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Sigh..., you didn't ask if it was from Texas, you asked if it was "real". I don't own this record but I have held the copy you see listed on popsike in my hands, prior to Jim selling it. If you want more info than that you are on your own.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Some of the funnies shit I have read in years.

Yes I got the above email asking about this record.

I was going to post a copy here today stating it was the funnies thing I have ever been asked.

I have had this record 3 times and thier are members of this board that own copies.

And yes the record is from TX.

As for uploading it. well you all know how I stand on that (as an old man)

Crazy, Just Crazy, and the reason I am not around much anymore.
I think there are many folks on here who could list stuff that you have never heard of before and for the most part you never will. Get over it!
daniel

Post by daniel »

I think most people making music want things released so people can hear what they have created(some might be in it just for the money but that's not too relevant in these circles), so I don't see the logic behind people buying something and saying haha I'm not going to let other people hear this. Yes I do somewhat, also in contradiction, agree with that maybe everything needn't be available to everyone at the click of a button, but that's pretty much the way the world has gone and no one's going to stop it.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

daniel wrote:I think most people making music want things released so people can hear what they have created(some might be in it just for the money but that's not too relevant in these circles), so I don't see the logic behind people buying something and saying haha I'm not going to let other people hear this. Yes I do somewhat, also in contradiction, agree with that maybe everything needn't be available to everyone at the click of a button, but that's pretty much the way the world has gone and no one's going to stop it.
If I have to live with this (which is no problem)

Then you need to live with the fact of "You will never have a chance to hear everything"
OpenMetal!

Post by OpenMetal! »

OK, much more clear! I'm sure "Metal Merchant" was a great metal "band?" and that's why every true metal fan desires to get a copy of its "EP?" (not including me).
What I think: good albums are always well known by fans (even the rare ones), bad albums are muted; it's obvious!
No more metaloren posts on this topic, take it for granted!
daniel

Post by daniel »

I don't want to or expect to hear everything though, and I'm not scouring the net day in day out looking for MP3s of everything like some, I never even used these p2p networks. I would like to hear Metal Merchant and Far East though ;) Now, how on earth am I going to do that unless someone comes forward.
OpenMetal!

Post by OpenMetal! »

daniel wrote:so I don't see the logic behind people buying something and saying haha I'm not going to let other people hear this.
This is a pathological maladaptive state! Don't try to understand people with such kind of behaviour.
vxn123

Metal Merchant

Post by vxn123 »

Daniel don't be so sure that obscure masterpieces are always made known. When I heard THYNN ICE (TEST PRESS) for first time I couldn't believe my ears....and If I hadn't decided to share the recording this would be now known only to a handful of people. But I don't think the rare stuff deserved to be given to all metalheads. Just to give you an example: 2 years ago I started to share ultra obscure stuff not only through my blog but to other sites also....this stuff included DEZARK, MONARCH, CRY etc etc...many Greeks told mainly in Greek forums that I wanted to just to impress and think I am an elitist...few of them appreciated my sharing....then I stopped.....perhaps it's better rare stuff to be given only to those who really think it's something for them....