Black Sabbath ... the gods ...

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
boris

Black Sabbath ... the gods ...

Post by boris »

Was shifting through my CDR's and came across a huge amount of Sabbath stuff. Live shows and stuff like that. Listened to a few of these, and hell, they prove every fucking time they are the gods of metal !!!

Stuff like the alternate versions of Born Again, Eternal Idol (with Ray Gillen) and Seventh Star (with Jeff Fenholt) are beyond killer. The unreleased mix of Born Again with the unreleased track (The Fallen) proves once and for all how good this album is. Disturbing the Priest is a fucking masterpiece. Ray's Eternal Idol is a crusher too. One of my favorite Sabbath albums, savagely underrated, with this godly performance ...

Live shows are superior. Soundboard recordings, why the fuck doesn't Iommi release all that stuff ?!?! Killer shows with Ian Gillan (skeptics - just listen to live at Worcester 1983 ...), shows with Dio from 1980-1982 and 1992 (Boston is a great one ...), shows with Tony Martin, Ray Gillen and Glenn Hughes.
Some early live shows with Ozzy. Well that's way beyond classic, just godlike.
Any thoughts ?
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

In my humble opinion, without Black Sabbath, there would never be Heavy Metal music at all. Of course some other bands have heavy credit as well, but Sabath did it first I think

what about sharing soe of that stuff, specially the live ones???
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Sorry but i am not so Sabbath enthusiast.One of the first bands i heard was BlackSabbath but again i still prefer Heaven And Hell(quite good are Headless Cross and Tyr).I respect that HM will not have been the same without them.But it would be last option for me to choose a BS record to hear again.Sorry but 70's are not my cup of tea(well an exception would be HAND OF DOOM :wink: ).
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

The Forefathers of Heavy Metal !!
I love both Ozzy and Dio eras.
The "Born Again" album with Ian Gillan is brilliant too, imo it's unjustly underrated.
I have several live bootlegs with Gillan. I enjoy his way of singing old-Sabbath classics.
I didn't listen that much of their lastest releases.

I really hope I can see "Heaven & Hell" live in a fest this summer.
Morbid Tapes

Post by Morbid Tapes »

The best Sabbath I've heard is that live soundboard recording from August 1975 at Asbury Park, NJ, USA. So amazing! I was happy to find out a part of that recording was released as a bootleg LP recently (it's entitled "Still Paranoid in '75" and I believe it originates from Germany).
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

The ultimate Black Sabbath record for me is "Master Of Reality". It has everything. That earie atmosphere and Ozzy's voice are perfect and EVERY track is a damn masterpiece. My second fave is "Heaven and Hell" with the mighty voice of Dio. The rest of their discography is stunning as well. One of my favourite bands for sure.
Long Live The Loud !!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

HEADLESS CROSS/TYR era for me, top-10 metal albums easily.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I have a special thing for Volume 4. Even though it has a crappy song like Changes, tracks like Cornucopia or Under The Sun are probably their heaviest stuff. And the Supernaut riff, total killer.
I haven't been able to really get into the Dio era, but Born Again is a fuckin' killer record, absolutely underrated.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Has anyone else got around to hearing Live at Hammersmith Odeon from 1981 released back in may of this year? This album confirmed for me that Dio era sabbath is far superior live than on record.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Obviously a classic band, though I must admit I'm still filling in the basics (just started getting some of the late 80s/early 90s albums in the past year or two).

Would be interested in hearing xome of those alternate versions mentioned herein; i've heard about them in the past but have never tracked them down.

Agree that 'master of reality' is their best (well, at least from the Ozzy era)
Helm

Post by Helm »

I love the first record most, really. The next three are worthwhile of course, but I don't listen to them with much enthusiasm. The Dio years are ok, but Dio for me sings in Rainbow's 'Rising' and that's pretty much it. Stargazer is what I want to listen to when Dio lets forth the godly voice. There's a lot to like in the Tyr period, I agree too.
muskeg

Post by muskeg »

The Sentinel wrote:The ultimate Black Sabbath record for me is "Master Of Reality". It has everything. That earie atmosphere and Ozzy's voice are perfect and EVERY track is a damn masterpiece. My second fave is "Heaven and Hell" with the mighty voice of Dio. The rest of their discography is stunning as well. One of my favourite bands for sure.
if pressed, i'd be forced to pick master of reality as my favorite...sabbath bloody sabbath being #2
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Helm wrote:I love the first record most, really. The next three are worthwhile of course
My feelings exactly the first is kind of like Candlemass' debut compared to other 'Mass albums - Atmosphere like no other, unique and almost perfect. After that I like a mix of Sabbath albums such as Headless Cross and Heaven And Hell. Best non-S/T Sabbath songs -

Nightwing
Die Young
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Besides the staple classic albums, I really like 'Dehumanizer'!!

I love the sound & pace of it!

...& 'Computer God' is a really great opening song, 'TV Crimes' was also a really HEAVY song for them at the time!
Levi

Post by Levi »

Korgüll wrote:Besides the staple classic albums, I really like 'Dehumanizer'!!

I love the sound & pace of it!

...& 'Computer God' is a really great opening song, 'TV Crimes' was also a really HEAVY song for them at the time!
Criminally underrated album, really like it too. So heavy!