Underestimated German 80's Scene?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
User avatar
mordred
Posts: 1706

Post#121 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:30 pm

Avenger wrote:And look here we go once again discussing the same old shit that we've already been through, AKA: BEATING A DEAD HORSE.
No we are not, because there was an entirely new angle based on what you said regarding by which factors to judge the quality of a record. I was not interested in going over the same old thing again, I would have liked to hear how you thought your little lesson was different from what you practice yourself. Apparently you had no interest in developing your thoughts further and that’s fair enough, but don’t give me shit about beating dead horses when I’m not. If you like to think it wasn’t relevant, then fine, but deciding what to listen to based on the level of obscurity is not very different from deciding based on the year of release.
Avenger wrote:Honestly, if you want to get into a nit-picking, estrogen spewing, hissy fit about something, how about we focus on you also trying to "give lessons" meanwhile going around the internet screaming "U R A POSEUR".
This is far from the truth and I think you know it (if I am making huge assumptions on your behalf then what are you doing yourself?) because I only ever dubbed one poser in my entire life.
Avenger wrote:Actually it is, because I thought I put an end to your whole superiority complex, ego-trip in the original thread, but yet here you are again several months later opening your mouth and again the garbage continues to flow.
There is no superiority complex and you didn’t put an end to nothing because all you said was endless variations of ”I have no clue what I’m talking about”.
In some lost corner of the world there sits a leprechaun laughing merrily atop a mountain of mysteriously lost LP innersleeves

User avatar
Helm
Posts: 1465

Post#122 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:28 pm

(if I am making huge assumptions on your behalf then what are you doing yourself?)
Why not get to know eachother on good will instead of assuming the worst about each other?
Image

User avatar
GJ
Posts: 2254
Contact:

Post#123 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:42 am

How about cooling things down with some Breaker - Dead Rider. For me it is one of the most satisfying german releases of the eighties. In some ways a german equivalent to early Razor - Ok there aren't much similarities musically but attitude-wise both bands seem to embrace that no bullshit "heads down - see you at the end" standpoint. I like the way they kept it simple and raw. Not a flawless release by any means but one too seldom mentioned all the same. I understand two members later emerged in Accuser but they never had the forceful drive of Breaker - not many thrash bands had.

There seem to be some kind of debate over Brainfever whether they are over- or underrated - for me they are one of the best of the country (that Hangman riff is sooo fucking heavy and menacing). Good catchy song writing and the fact that they had one of the best singers in german metal are what I feel makes them stand above bands like Steeler and Rage.

User avatar
Nightlock
Posts: 1309

Post#124 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:12 am

I've always wanted to hear the German Breaker can anyone do an upload?
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"

User avatar
mordred
Posts: 1706

Post#125 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:37 am

I'm next to clueless on more obscure german bands it seems. Maybe because there such a wealth of bargain bin bands from the country it's easy to get the impression that you have explored the scene to it's full extent but really only scratched the surface.
In some lost corner of the world there sits a leprechaun laughing merrily atop a mountain of mysteriously lost LP innersleeves

User avatar
Avenger
Posts: 8188

Post#126 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:08 pm

mordred wrote:
Avenger wrote:And look here we go once again discussing the same old shit that we've already been through, AKA: BEATING A DEAD HORSE.
No we are not, because there was an entirely new angle based on what you said regarding by which factors to judge the quality of a record. I was not interested in going over the same old thing again, I would have liked to hear how you thought your little lesson was different from what you practice yourself. Apparently you had no interest in developing your thoughts further and that’s fair enough, but don’t give me shit about beating dead horses when I’m not. If you like to think it wasn’t relevant, then fine, but deciding what to listen to based on the level of obscurity is not very different from deciding based on the year of release.
Avenger wrote:Honestly, if you want to get into a nit-picking, estrogen spewing, hissy fit about something, how about we focus on you also trying to "give lessons" meanwhile going around the internet screaming "U R A POSEUR".
This is far from the truth and I think you know it (if I am making huge assumptions on your behalf then what are you doing yourself?) because I only ever dubbed one poser in my entire life.
Avenger wrote:Actually it is, because I thought I put an end to your whole superiority complex, ego-trip in the original thread, but yet here you are again several months later opening your mouth and again the garbage continues to flow.
There is no superiority complex and you didn’t put an end to nothing because all you said was endless variations of ”I have no clue what I’m talking about”.
Dude, you are literally reaching for any tiny lead to base your arguments on. This "new angle" that you claim exists has nothing to do with what your real motive here is. If you had kept your mouth shut and stayed on topic to begin with, then I wouldn't have pointed out that you were beating a dead horse. However, by digging up old shit that was obviously too complicated for you to not rant on about, you only proved that you were unable to control the grudge that you have against me.

You also may have not actually used the term "you are a poser", but I have seen you in other threads, not against myself but others, use the exact same tone and attitude with those that you do not agree with, implying the same shit. And who knows what you do in other places on the internet.

I also find it laughable that you deny having a superiority complex when it's so painfully obvious granted that you still can't drop the issue.

Get over it already.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."

User avatar
mordred
Posts: 1706

Post#127 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Avenger wrote:Dude, you are literally reaching for any tiny lead to base your arguments on. This "new angle" that you claim exists has nothing to do with what your real motive here is. If you had kept your mouth shut and stayed on topic to begin with, then I wouldn't have pointed out that you were beating a dead horse. However, by digging up old shit that was obviously too complicated for you to not rant on about, you only proved that you were unable to control the grudge that you have against me.

You also may have not actually used the term "you are a poser", but I have seen you in other threads, not against myself but others, use the exact same tone and attitude with those that you do not agree with, implying the same shit. And who knows what you do in other places on the internet.

I also find it laughable that you deny having a superiority complex when it's so painfully obvious granted that you still can't drop the issue.

Get over it already.
Believe me, I have dropped the issue. For any arguments on that particular topic I refer to the old thread. This time around, I was not after to convince you that metal is still alive. Instead I took your "no post 1992 for me" philosophy as a fact and wanted to discuss how it was different to the "no well known bands for me" philosophy you said you didn't like. I think everybody can see that that's an entirely new discussion...

Now, we better drop this. Since you obviously prefer the easier option of accusing me of all sorts of things, like beating dead horses and having a superiority complex, than to develop your thoughts about the statement that I commented on, it's kind of pointless anyway.
In some lost corner of the world there sits a leprechaun laughing merrily atop a mountain of mysteriously lost LP innersleeves

User avatar
Black Axe
Posts: 3098
Contact:

Post#128 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:35 pm

mordred wrote:Now, we better drop this. Since you obviously prefer the easier option of accusing me of all sorts of things, like beating dead horses and having a superiority complex, than to develop your thoughts about the statement that I commented on, it's kind of pointless anyway.
Usually people actually drop it when they say "we better drop this".

User avatar
GJ
Posts: 2254
Contact:

Post#129 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:17 pm

mordred wrote:
Avenger wrote:Dude, you are literally reaching for any tiny lead to base your arguments on. This "new angle" that you claim exists has nothing to do with what your real motive here is. If you had kept your mouth shut and stayed on topic to begin with, then I wouldn't have pointed out that you were beating a dead horse. However, by digging up old shit that was obviously too complicated for you to not rant on about, you only proved that you were unable to control the grudge that you have against me.

You also may have not actually used the term "you are a poser", but I have seen you in other threads, not against myself but others, use the exact same tone and attitude with those that you do not agree with, implying the same shit. And who knows what you do in other places on the internet.

I also find it laughable that you deny having a superiority complex when it's so painfully obvious granted that you still can't drop the issue.

Get over it already.
Believe me, I have dropped the issue. For any arguments on that particular topic I refer to the old thread. This time around, I was not after to convince you that metal is still alive. Instead I took your "no post 1992 for me" philosophy as a fact and wanted to discuss how it was different to the "no well known bands for me" philosophy you said you didn't like. I think everybody can see that that's an entirely new discussion...

Now, we better drop this. Since you obviously prefer the easier option of accusing me of all sorts of things, like beating dead horses and having a superiority complex, than to develop your thoughts about the statement that I commented on, it's kind of pointless anyway.

Yes! Instead of beating that dead old horse both of you should really jump on you mental motorcycles and let it rip through a random steel wall shouting "Street fighter! Street fighter!"

http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/test2/Breaker2.html

User avatar
DaN
Administructor
Posts: 6401
Contact:

Post#130 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:54 am

DaN wrote:...we haven't discussed the excellent ATTACK enough! Slightly atypical German Metal with a very tasty Maiden/NWOBHM-feel to them. "Return Of The Evil" is a real gem. Haven't heard the 2 last ones from the 90's so if anyone have, lets see some words on them. I've always wondered if any measures have been taken by the various German Kult Festivals' powers-that-be, to get them up on a stage again. The sure deserve it.
So, who digs 'em? Who knows more?
Veterans of the Various-Wars - New Corroseum compilations-compilation series!

User avatar
ION BRITTON
Posts: 6645

Post#131 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:23 am

Dan, you're off topic :D



OK, seriously, i like ATTACK's melodic style, although i would prefer a vocalist with more punch. My favourite album is "The secret place", while i haven't heard a single note from "Beastkiller" which is supposed to be one of their better albums.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart

Fucking Åmål
Posts: 1373

Post#132 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:35 am

DaN wrote:
DaN wrote:...we haven't discussed the excellent ATTACK enough! Slightly atypical German Metal with a very tasty Maiden/NWOBHM-feel to them. "Return Of The Evil" is a real gem. Haven't heard the 2 last ones from the 90's so if anyone have, lets see some words on them. I've always wondered if any measures have been taken by the various German Kult Festivals' powers-that-be, to get them up on a stage again. The sure deserve it.
So, who digs 'em? Who knows more?
I love ATTACK but i have only heared ''Destinies Of War'' which i consider a Power Metal masterpiece.ATTACK on this album remind me a little fiercer and more epic CHROMING ROSE and HEAVENS GATE.

Although the album is very lengthy all the tracks are equally interesting.

User avatar
DaN
Administructor
Posts: 6401
Contact:

Post#133 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:44 am

ION BRITTON wrote:My favourite album is "The secret place", while i haven't heard a single note from "Beastkiller" which is supposed to be one of their better albums.
I'll take that as their later work indeed lives up to the 80's stuff then. Cheers for the update.
ATTACK on this album remind me a little fiercer and more epic CHROMING ROSE and HEAVENS GATE.
Hm.. I wouldn't be so quick to scare off classic HM-fans/"German Power Metal"-haters myself. Imo ATTACK were way more traditional with some heavy roots in the Maiden/early US Metal styles rather than the Helloween school of Metal.
Veterans of the Various-Wars - New Corroseum compilations-compilation series!

User avatar
The Erlking
Posts: 2025

Post#134 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:27 pm

Just listened to Return Of The Evil and all I can say right now is it's GREAT! I don't hear anything like HEAVENS GATE here and have to agree with DaN on this:
DaN wrote:Imo ATTACK were way more traditional with some heavy roots in the Maiden/early US Metal styles rather than the Helloween school of Metal.
Don't know how's the later stuff though. Maybe they changed their style in the end of decade (after keeper maybe?).. Anyway I'm checking out Destinies Of War soon too. Thanks for mentioning the band in this thread!
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance

BlackStele
Posts: 858

Post#135 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:40 pm

My Favourite Attack records are 2: Destinies Of War, and The Secret Place...Seven Years is ok, while Return Of The Evil has some good parts, while I can't stand Danger In The Air...I think someone who would like to investigate this band shouldn't make a really bad start with this one... :roll:
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron