Pentagram- Be Forewarned

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
GJ

Post by GJ »

Oh, I forgot about Iron Man! I only bought The Passage originally, later Generation Void when that was first released and only earlier this year Black Knight (reissue) and I Have Returned. Kind of liked all their stuff but with John Donnelly they've finally have gotten a vocalist to match!

@ Daniel: Those songs sound really good, and adding to it, a pretty warm sound* that makes GJ happy... Heigh ho, the dairy-o, a hunting I will go!

*compared to other doomy stuff at the time
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

GJ wrote:Those songs sound really good, and adding to it, a pretty warm sound*
Excellent for those cold winter nights, except if you're suicidal or homicidal.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

That vinyl rip of Day Of Reckoning certainly does sound better than the remaster/re-recording. It has more of a dark atmosphere. Thanks again to Daniel for letting me check it out.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I used to own that Peaceville 2CD with Relentless + DoR. Mostly brought it to parties to ruin/unlighten the mood and that's how it eventually got lost... I can't really remember if it sounded THAT different to the original recordings to be honest..
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Regarding Pentagram, here's a tip for ya:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Pentagram-45-S ... 3361badede
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

just as different as night and day DaN...
DaN wrote:I can't really remember if it sounded THAT different to the original recordings to be honest..
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

here is the S/T on my megaupload account:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O5949ZB4

Day Of Reckoning
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GS1PWDLI

password for both is www.thrashmageddon.com
Cochino wrote:Anybody knows where can I check the original mixes of the self titled album and Day Of Reckoning? I've only heard the Peaceville releases and I'd like to listen to the other versions, since pretty much everybody agrees they're superior.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Thank you very much :)
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

That's a fair price for the High Voltage single. A copy sold last month with the bootleg ps (no real sleeve was issued) for about $51

Re: Day of Reckoning- I like it, but I rarely play it. Kinda gets overshadowed by the s/t. Need to break it out again sometime (if I only had a nickel for every time I said that about an album I could afford an original Leather Nunn!)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I did some spot comparisons of Rob's u/l's of the orig LPs and mp3s I made from the cd reissues. There is a noticeable difference in both cases. On the original s/t LP, the drums sound relatively soft and rather simple; they're not bad, but they could be louder and more powerful. The re-done drums on the reissue are louder and have more punch (the production overall also is heavier), so the reissue sounds pretty good IMO.

The reissue of 'Day of Reckoning' also goes for a heavier production, but this time the re-done drums don't sound as good. They have a sharp, almost hollow sound- especially the snare- which doesn't sound right. Also, the drums on the orig DoR LP don't sound that bad; they're done better on the orig s/t LP. Thus, there was less reason to re-do the DoR drums, and the end result doesn't sound too good relatively speaking.

That's my take on 'em. Thanks to Rob for providing u/ls of the original LPs.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

There's also a speed difference between the LP and the slower re-issue of the debut(which is supposed to be closer to the original Deathrow demo pace).
St. Erben

Post by St. Erben »

It's been a while, but that album sure had a few worthwhile songs. Though nowhere near the first two, or the vintage stuff! The rendering of the title-track is really weak in comparison to the 1972 version too, which had a much better chorus. That said, "Petrified" is heavy...