Obscure Czech Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Metalipeiklo

Obscure Czech Metal

Post by Metalipeiklo »

I decided to start a thread with this name since there seem to be a couple of bands yet unheard by me at least. Found some while browsing the metal archives recently... Any good recommendations of unknown obscurities?

I'll start with a question that I had back in my mind for years and it came up again some days ago:

Petr "Blackie" Hosek or ROOT played in a band called VÝLET that released an album in 1992-1993 (don't have energy to check up the title again). Anyone heard this particular LP or band? There's almost no info about it on the web and since I've not seen it mentioned anywhere in "extreme" metal areas, I wonder if it's good metal at all? The band is from Brno just like ROOT.

And if someone didn't know it yet, Swedish I HATE RECS (www.ihate.se) is reissuing the CRUX "Rev Smrti" demo on CD (again) for some reason. Hopefully it'll contain something new. From what I know the earlier reissue of that splendid demo was a compilation of two demos/recordings of CRUX and the last songs didn't feature Blackie if I remember correctly.

Through rumours I also heard about an ASSESOR reunion, hehe... but it hasn't happened much with that it seems. Anyone heard the bonus tracks which are supposed to be on the CD ed of "Invaze"?

Many questions it turned out...
Fun records
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

Hmm, I had both the Crux and the Assessor CDs. If I remember right Blackie WAS part of the Crux recordings, it was him who sent me the CD actually.
I think the Assessor CD featured one bonus song, I am not sure though... It was on the same Globus label that issued the Atomic "Nuclear Metal" CD, which fatured a bonus song, "Icarus" or something. Drakar were on the same label, same period, but I never seen their album on CD.
Some bands from the Czech Rep. that I have not heard are: Scramasax (spelling?), Sifon, Q7, Equirodont (spelling?)... and some more.
Sorry for going off topic but has anyone heard Markiz de Sade from Poland?
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Destrozer wrote:Hmm, I had both the Crux and the Assessor CDs. If I remember right Blackie WAS part of the Crux recordings, it was him who sent me the CD actually.

Some bands from the Czech Rep. that I have not heard are: Scramasax (spelling?), Sifon, Q7, Equirodont (spelling?)... and some more.
Yea, he's on the first songs from the actual "Rev Smrti" demo. These last songs with a more "produced" sound is however from a later recording where he wasn't in the band anymore. I probably read it on the CRUX website that was online some years ago, it seems gone now.

Yea, SIFON would be interesting to hear. I think forgottensteel writes that their debut is considered to be the "best" (heavy metal?) record from Cz Rep. http://www.sifonrock.cz/. Their early albums are available on CD nowadays.

Equirhodont: Think I heard Big Boss' solo project "Belial's Wind" some years ago, total crap. So I doubt he's too much of a songwriter, hoho.
Fun records
peterott

Post by peterott »

Metalipeiklo wrote:
Destrozer wrote:Hmm, I had both the Crux and the Assessor CDs. If I remember right Blackie WAS part of the Crux recordings, it was him who sent me the CD actually.

Yea, he's on the first songs from the actual "Rev Smrti" demo. These last songs with a more "produced" sound is however from a later recording where he wasn't in the band anymore. I probably read it on the CRUX website that was online some years ago, it seems gone now.

Yea, SIFON would be interesting to hear. I think forgottensteel writes that their debut is considered to be the "best" (heavy metal?) record from Cz Rep. http://www.sifonrock.cz/. Their early albums are available on CD nowadays.

Equirhodont: Think I heard Big Boss' solo project "Belial's Wind" some years ago, total crap. So I doubt he's too much of a songwriter, hoho.

sorry for disagreeing, but if my memory severs me right, the two Equirhodont CDs feature Root-like stuff in the "Black Seal" style, more epic so to speak and I somehow liked them, with Equirhodont Grandiose Magus being even better than Black Crystal. The E.G.M. CD is available from Morbid Records/Germany as 5 Euro cheapo.

Other obscure Czech music is of course Drakar, DAI and Dark (funny that all of them begin with D) and almighty Svaty Vincent.

I must admit I like Calibos' debut CD, especially the track Mac Leod. Perfect Power Metal.
Debustrol's debut (double D, hehehe) is great early Slayer worshipping with a typical East-european vocalist, but they are well-known and not obscure (this goes also for the early works of Törr and Arakain).
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

peterott wrote:
sorry for disagreeing, but if my memory severs me right, the two Equirhodont CDs feature Root-like stuff in the "Black Seal" style, more epic so to speak and I somehow liked them, with Equirhodont Grandiose Magus being even better than Black Crystal. The E.G.M. CD is available from Morbid Records/Germany as 5 Euro cheapo.

Other obscure Czech music is of course Drakar, DAI and Dark (funny that all of them begin with D) and almighty Svaty Vincent.

I must admit I like Calibos' debut CD, especially the track Mac Leod. Perfect Power Metal.
Debustrol's debut (double D, hehehe) is great early Slayer worshipping with a typical East-european vocalist, but they are well-known and not obscure (this goes also for the early works of Törr and Arakain).
With obscure I mean at least as obscure as DAI, DRAKAR or SVATY VINCENT. Preferably even demo/7"EP bands! Not these famous bands like TÖRR, ROOT, MASTER'S HAMMER, DEBUSTROL and all that mainstream czech metal stuff whose music every kid knows about. :wink:
Fun records
®O©O

Post by ®O©O »

peterott wrote: I must admit I like Calibos' debut CD, especially the track Mac Leod. Perfect Power Metal.
total masterpiece album, I can't imagine day without playing MacLeod :D

how about DETTO Perpetuum debile 7"? this one is great...

few of my favourites - SKRAMASAX, SAX PIJAK and LORETTA
ancient tyranny

Post by ancient tyranny »

peterott wrote: sorry for disagreeing, but if my memory severs me right, the two Equirhodont CDs feature Root-like stuff in the "Black Seal" style, more epic so to speak and I somehow liked them, with Equirhodont Grandiose Magus being even better than Black Crystal. The E.G.M. CD is available from Morbid Records/Germany as 5 Euro cheapo.
I also like the two Equirhodont CDs, if you like the epic style of Root, check them out.
pentagramophone

Post by pentagramophone »

DRAKAR are godly! Czech language version of the LP recommended over the English the version.

I have the ASSESOR CD and it has 12 songs. Definitely bonus material in there but since I no longer have the vinyl version I can't say 1 or 2 tracks.

SKRAMASAX are surely worth checking out but in my opinion they are tad flat in the song writing department. Good but mediocre.

One band whose '80s demos I'd love to is FATA MORGANA. The comeback "best of" CD from few years back had some old stuff re-recorded. Some great stuf in there. The "best of" CD as whole isn't a stunner but few great tracks hidden in there. I'd love to hear how they sounded back in the '80s.

I think also should mention the ASGARD demo from the mid '90s (which has been re-released on CD later on). I'm most definitely not the gratest friend of black metal from that era but they had some nice things going on. Check it out if into black metal.
Rock Beast

Post by Rock Beast »

Exile, Breaking Beads, Zvrator, Sax Piják, Bast (started aroung 90' but released the album and demo in 2000 and 2004), Krevel, Kraken, Terminator, Black Heaven, Ocelot, Autogen, Merlin, Vitacit (the first LP have among the greatest cover arts ever), Železná Nedìle.

I have not heard most of those bands, but I find them quit obscure though.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

It would be great if someone could upload some DRAKAR material, I've never had the chance to hear some !!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

omen of hate wrote:It would be great if someone could upload some DRAKAR material, I've never had the chance to hear some !!
I talked to Ola from I Hate Rec. at the last record fair and he told me they are going to re-release it on CD. Apparently one of the old DRAKAR-members works in a pub in Prague and they've sorted out the detaila via a mutual friend. Or something like that. Great news! I'll ask Ola for more details on the upcoming CANDLEMASS gig in Sthlm. In the meantime I think we should wait with uploading it since EVERYONE needs to buy this CD anyway when it's out.

A while back I picked up the KERN debut LP and was possitively surprised - great solid HM! The "obscure" part is that I've found out they released a whole bunch of 7"s (before I thought they only made one).

You can have a listen to those singles at KERN's offical home page. Simply crushing stuff on par with the best CITRON-material. The hunt has begun!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Great news !! and thanx for the link !
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

The Unclean tracks from the Sorath/Unclean split CD were pretty good if I remember right. Mid-90s Black Metal stuff.
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

DaN wrote:Apparently one of the old DRAKAR-members works in a pub in Prague and they've sorted out the detaila via a mutual friend. Or something like that.
Funny that "so many" Czech ex-metal musicians seem to be in the alcohol business.
- Vlasta Henych of TÖRR is said to be a bar owner, anyone knows more?
- Vlasta Voral (MASTER'S HAMMER) has an own little brewery.

After all it's the country of absinth and plzen! Jilemnicky okultista! :twisted:
Fun records
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

I found an interesting czech collecting fetish site:

http://www.srpuls.cz/vdmusick/

The most interesting thing for the non-czech speaking population, that includes myself, is a TÖRR interview in english uncovering some interesting things...
Fun records