Favourite Fates Warning album?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Night on Brocken
11%
The Spectre Within
22%
Awaken the Guardian
45%
No Exit
9%
Perfect Symmetry
5%
Parallels
5%
Inside Out
No votes
A Pleasant Shade of Grey
No votes
Disconnected
No votes
Fates Warning X
2%

Total votes: 55

Divine Victim

Post by Divine Victim »

I've just signed up to this place, love it already! Thought I'd get some discussion going on people's favourite Fates album, and why. John Arch era goes without saying, surely.

For me, I find it almost impossible to choose between The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian - both contain some of my all-time favourite heavy metal songs, and both have stunning yet different atmospheres. I love the lyrics on both too, although that is another clear point of divergence. I could really talk all day about how much I love these two albums.

I thoroughly enjoy Night on Brocken also, but its rawer production job and less "enchanting" songwriting/atmosphere places it a rung beneath the next two for me.

I need to listen to No Exit more, but it's quite apparent that Arch's fantastic voice was the primary life-force of their sound.
Last edited by Divine Victim on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Welcome!
This was just discussed over at Lapland Metal. My 2 cents:

Arch era: "Guardian'
-All three albums are good, but this one easily stands out. 'Brocken' is a very good but 'basic' heavy metal album. 'Spectre' has never really clicked with me; take away the amazing 'The Apparition' and I actually prefer 'Brocken'. 'Guardian' was sort of the culmination of their sound developing to its apex over the course of the 3 albums. 'Enchanting' is a good word for it.

Alder era: "Parallels'
This was the first CD I ever bought (tapes and vinyl a-plenty before that) and it's still one of my favorite albums. Great songwriting, great performances. IMO this is what power-prog metal should sound more like; excellent songwriting, great performances, but none of the self-indulgent, pointless show-off soloing. I know some find this album boring, but not for me. I never cared for 'No Exit'- total mess of an album with no direction and bores me to tears. 'Symmetry' is better, but I NEVER EVER feel the urge to play it. 'Inside Out' is alright but always felt like a rehashed version of 'Parallels'. After that I started losing track of 'em
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Divine Victim

Post by Divine Victim »

nightsblood wrote:'Spectre' has never really clicked with me; take away the amazing 'The Apparition' and I actually prefer 'Brocken'.
I know exactly what you mean. Awaken was the first Fates album I got, and for at least a year Spectre didn't even come close. I didn't like the production as much, didn't think Arch's vocals were as mesmerising, didn't think the riffs held up as well. Now I love every track and think it's a masterpiece on par with it's successor... strange how some albums are real growers.

If I had to choose my least favourite song from both, it would be Pirates of the Underground and Prelude to Ruin respectively.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Usually AtG, but today if I have to play one, I think I'll go with PS or NE
mordred

Post by mordred »

Awaken the Guardian for sure. Amazing masterpiece of mystical and intricate metal.

The Spectre Within has never really clicked with me. It's good, but I prefer No Exit and Night on Brocken. I'm not really familiar with anything post No Exit.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

You guys were never blown away by Orphan Gypsy!? Insanity! :o
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

FuneralCircle wrote:You guys were never blown away by Orphan Gypsy!? Insanity! :o
no but by Kyrie Eleison
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

The Spectre Within. Don't really care that much about the other albums in comparison, even though they're quite good.
anthares

Post by anthares »

Awaken the Guardian
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Easy as hell. Night on Bröcken I don't care that much about, Spectre Within is very very good but Awaken The Guardian could very well be my favourite HM album.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Keir

Post by Keir »

I think that ATG is the better album as a whole, but Spectre has the best songs (Apparation and Orphan Gypsy, mainly).
Zherneboh

Post by Zherneboh »

I've not really given any post-Arch Fates Warning a chance...but 'The Spectre Within' is probably my favourite album full stop! I worship Awaken the Guardian too' but there's something extra mind-distorting, intoxicating and other-worldly about Spectre...it has an unmatched moribund majesty. Especially 'Epitaph'...fuck!

Points breakdown:
Spectre: 100%
AtG: 99.9999999999999%
Weigh anchor, hoist the sails
Cruisin' for booty on watery trails
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

How about adding a poll here to see some numbers :wink:
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Sammi Curr

Post by Sammi Curr »

I first heard Fates through Kyrie Eleison and Traveler in Time as a young teenager. It's impossible for me to describe the feelings they evoked, something truly mystical. Still my two favorite Fates Warning songs, but yes, Awaken the Guardian is no fucking slouch. Actually, I can't even choose between the first three, but I'll say Spectre due to its sentimental value. Arch also never sounded more powerful.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

"Awaken the Guardian" with Arch - simply love the power mixed with epic majesty

"No Exit" with Alder - their heaviest album, and the final suite is just amazing

No wonder I have both in the double cd edition (it was the only thing I could find back in time...) :lol: