american bands better at capturing ancient greece and rome?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
odin

american bands better at capturing ancient greece and rome?

Post by odin »

Why does it seem american bands are better at capturing the essense of ancient greece and rome better than greek and roman bands is it because some americans are obsessed with the wonders of the ancient world or is it less metal bands in those areas at the time or is it that they aren't the same people living there today or perhaps you see them everyday and its just nothing special to you, spaghetti westerns seem to capture the wild west of the united states better than any american could, do you believe an outsiders view is more fresh than your own? I would like to take this discussion to many different things and bands from different areas, dan move it if you see fit but I would like to explore many aspects of this topic.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Natives either don't care or find these things too common. They always see them. They are nothing special although a lot of centuries have passed. On the other hand outsiders which don't have such things find them interesting enough to dedicate all of their time (if at disposal). These interesting things would become their obsessions, fetishes, ... Something worthwhile to invest money, time, etc.

Another explanation could be reincarnation. Souls incarnated in an era of Ancient Greece or Rome could very well remember something from these times. They find these things, topics, etc. strangely familiar.

And so are bands dragged to these themes these two ways. There might be other explanations, too.
I am ... the One you warned me of
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I think it is a matter of tastes. I like very much the European Metal bands, American bands as well, but a bit less. But both do a great job towars composing epic stuff, or mythologycal tuff or whatever you want to call it.
Anyway, I think bands like Dark Quarterer or Northwind manage to do great stuff regarding their own mythology. USA's bands have no chance to talk about an own mythology coz, as far as I know, they have no this ancient culture which developed mythology as you find easily in Europe or other american countries.
On the other hand, but still inide this mythology stayff, I have heard that MANOWAR is the best epic band ever. In my opinion it is BATHORY. But as I mentioned it is a matter of tastes.
odin

Post by odin »

I've always saw Manowar and Manilla Road as masters of greeco-roman feelings,I believe most obscure american bands have mastered the epic feelings of medieval times for me,Bathory isn't very epic for me the intro Odens Ride Over Nordland sets a great tone which I feels the rest of the album fails to convey and the Hammerheart album is some what ok in that respect but failed to meet what I thought it should,later albums don't really do much for me.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

odin wrote:I've always saw Manowar and Manilla Road as masters of greeco-roman feelings,I believe most obscure american bands have mastered the epic feelings of medieval times for me,Bathory isn't very epic for me the intro Odens Ride Over Nordland sets a great tone which I feels the rest of the album fails to convey and the Hammerheart album is some what ok in that respect but failed to meet what I thought it should,later albums don't really do much for me.
:shock:
odin

Post by odin »

metalmaster wrote:
odin wrote:I've always saw Manowar and Manilla Road as masters of greeco-roman feelings,I believe most obscure american bands have mastered the epic feelings of medieval times for me,Bathory isn't very epic for me the intro Odens Ride Over Nordland sets a great tone which I feels the rest of the album fails to convey and the Hammerheart album is some what ok in that respect but failed to meet what I thought it should,later albums don't really do much for me.
What is so shocking about it?
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

odin wrote:
metalmaster wrote:
What is so shocking about it?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Ado due to initial misunderstanding of the topic:

IMHO, there aren't any metal bands who would capture the essence of Ancient Greece and Rome. If I am wrong, please, let somebody explain me how would they do that.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Noisenik wrote:Ado due to initial misunderstanding of the topic:

IMHO, there aren't any metal bands who would capture the essence of Ancient Greece and Rome. If I am wrong, please, let somebody explain me how would they do that.
Difficult question, i don't know if i can answer within 3-4 lines and my English won't help at all... Capturing the essence of two of the most glorious civilizations mankind has ever witnessed in "a couple of riffs and a chorus" certainly is not easy at all. However some ideals/ideas are panhuman and i believe that the feeling of certain metal songs is sometimes in the right direction...that's at least what i have felt while listening to them. This issue needs a lot of discussion, but i'm too tired to fuck my head all the time trying to find the suitable English word, so i guess i'll leave only those two comments until my English improves or until you learn some Greek :)
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

This issue needs a lot of discussion, but i'm too tired to fuck my head all the time trying to find the suitable English word, so i guess i'll leave only those two comments until my English improves or until you learn some Greek
Hey dude. I wish I could learn few more languages, including yours, but f..k it. When I was young(er), I had no head. Or not enough of it. Today!? with memory like a sieve!?
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

As for inspired from Greek Mythology i think some bands like Virgin Steele in almost all their albums,Manilla Road many tracks,Manowar Achilles and more and others i will try to make a list about songs refering in the greek mythology in the future!