Russian Metal Recomendations

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

Kelly wrote:Anyone heard 'Kruiz'? I've heard one song long time ago, I think it was called 'In Flames', and it sounded pretty good..worth looking for?
It rulez!! It's from the 2nd KRUIZ album and the whole album is a total classic! Best russian LP along with VALKYRIA. The frist KRUIZ album (both are self-titled, first one is with russian vocals, 2nd is english) is only average though.
We praise the blood that metal brings
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Kelly wrote:Anyone heard 'Kruiz'? I've heard one song long time ago, I think it was called 'In Flames', and it sounded pretty good..worth looking for?
Yea, check out their "1" or s/t album (the same album referred to differently), it has some great riffing. Unfortunately it includes some more sleazy elements which I could have a little hard time with. Overall good though. It is relatively easy to find. There was also a follow up released in West (?) Germany with english lyrics, not bad from what I can remember, I sold it some years ago. That one I haven't seen around since 2001...
Fun records
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

Humus: Trupniy Jad are really fucking brutal, great Thrash; also early Front, early DIV, Zhelezniy Potok...
Did anyone listen to the stuff I posted? Some great bands there IMO!
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Yea, the DIV LP "Mein Kampf" definitely takes the price, haha... But they had some early MLP or similar, listened to it once just, which had some good parts. I think "the evil twins" once recommended DIV to me as well.
Fun records
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

OmenOfSteel wrote: It rulez!! It's from the 2nd KRUIZ album and the whole album is a total classic! Best russian LP along with VALKYRIA. The frist KRUIZ album (both are self-titled, first one is with russian vocals, 2nd is english) is only average though.
Sorry, didn't see your post there... Yea, now I remember a classy track from the 2nd KRUIZ called "Knight of the road", that was a great one. Though I mostly prefer when russian bands sing in russian, it gets better then :) The first track on the 1st KRUIZ totally rules in my opinion btw.
Fun records
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Am i the only one who likes the Magnit LP more than Credo?

First Aid are killer east european metal, influenced mainly by teutonic metal. "Hellraiser" & "Reanimator" are absolutely recommended!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

FIRST AID is great !! Metal influenced by old ACCEPT and GRAVE DIGGER, the album "Hell Raiser" is my fave.
boris

Post by boris »

First Aid was the Russian Accept rip off ... some good tunes there though. metalrus.ru has all their albums, the single and 2 live boots for download. They're missing the tape album though. They later turned into Opertrack, a rather crappy glam outfit.

The best Russian band is and was, without doubt BLACK OBELISK ! Much mightier and heavier than the rest. Their early material is incredible, and most of the albums are fucking killer. Too bad they don't get enough attention. I have all their CD's (9 albums) and a DVD and a couple live boots and videos, so uploading is not a problem, though the music is widely commercially available.

RAISKIY AD (Heavenly Hell) were one of the best obscure bands I've ever heard. Too bad there's no info and the LP is so fucking rare.

99% is quite a good too, one of the first Russian HM bands (had a tape album in 1983, while Avgust were playing some crappy pop music).

GALAXY, though they had some crap released during the years, their first LP is a fucking masterpiece of Russian metal (the lyrics of "in '37" are incredible!)

Did you ever hear KLINIKA ? fucking great band ! The CD with early material is not so hard to get.

MARKIZA of course, one of their best female fronted bands together with LAMIA, PRIMADONNA, KRASNAYA PANTERA, ROUND, SPRUT and now the new band STAYA.

As for MONOMAKH, my friend knows their guitarist, they used to be neighbors or something, but the music is Christian crap. I fucking can't stand Christian metal, it's obnoxious. they do play well, nice melodic rock, but the concept disgusts me. They were once called INTERVIEW and played some crappy AOR if I remember well enough ...

PROSTO TAK - ultra obscure ultra underground band. they had only one rehearsal recorded in their friend's living room, with really crap quality, impossible to listen to, but some of the songs were so damn HEAVY !!! there's one song, called "Ded" (the old man / the grandfather) and it's freakin' doom metal with creepy lyrics !

TIME OUT, the ones who released the tape album Prometey were a great power metal (80's style) band, worth a listen !

TRIUMPHALNAYA ARKA was Black Obelisk guitarist Alekseyev's side project, heavy and worth a listen. too bad the LP was never released.

And there's a lot, lot more where it came from !!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The best Russian band is and was, without doubt BLACK OBELISK ! Much mightier and heavier than the rest. Their early material is incredible, and most of the albums are fucking killer. Too bad they don't get enough attention. I have all their CD's (9 albums) and a DVD and a couple live boots and videos, so uploading is not a problem, though the music is widely commercially available.
I've got some old tape albums/live tapes + 2 tracks on the Monsters Of Rock compilation. Some great songs (esp. one of the comp trax) but a bit too monotonous for my ears.
RAISKIY AD (Heavenly Hell) were one of the best obscure bands I've ever heard. Too bad there's no info and the LP is so fucking rare.
Killer album that many find too soft, but I love the melancholic, obscure feel of it. A MAJOR Russian want!
99% is quite a good too, one of the first Russian HM bands (had a tape album in 1983, while Avgust were playing some crappy pop music).
That '83 tape includes some awesome "NWOBHM"-moments! What the hell happened to them?
GALAXY, though they had some crap released during the years, their first LP is a fucking masterpiece of Russian metal (the lyrics of "in '37" are incredible!)
Agree 100%. That debut LP is quite easy to come by so everyone should grab a copy asap. Occationally very dark, original and VERY "Russian" + the "in '37" track simply crushes!
MARKIZA of course, one of their best female fronted bands together with LAMIA, PRIMADONNA, KRASNAYA PANTERA, ROUND, SPRUT and now the new band STAYA.
The MARKIZA/DUBL'1-demos are superb, untouchable Ruski Steel, but the LP is a huge disappointment :(
Do you have any other material w/ LAMIA except for the one-song demo/video?

My fave Russian tape-album-act would be KONSUL. I could really use a better copy of the "Proklyatiy Mir" tape from 85. Perfect Heavy Metal of the highest international standard.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I have to take some notes now, I'm not too familiar with Russian metal bands, great info btw :D
Long Live The Loud !!!
boris

Post by boris »

Dan - BLACK OBELISK are anything but monotonous ! Did you hear their last 3 albums ? and the LP's The Wall and One More Day ?

As for LAMIA - yes I think I had something, need to check on that.

I have the same crappy KONSUL rip you have and the live show. a mate in Russia should find some more of that for me. they had 3 more albums, the last one called Blood for Blood, which was ripped off by Aria for their masterpiece.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote:
Killer album that many find too soft, but I love the melancholic, obscure feel of it. A MAJOR Russian want!
Sorry, but where's the metal in this album? A big dissapointment, these mixtures of several styles in every song always discouraged me (in heavy metal). OBLACHNYJ KRAJ are the exception to the rule!

I must give BLACK OBELISK one more chance i guess. The few things i had heard some time ago didn't impress me at all.

From what i have read until now, i see that opinions differ quite a lot on the Russian metal bands. And mine does too as my top-faves are very different from the ones mentioned above...

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

Tschornyi Kofe`s "Perestupi Porog" is also a fucking classic of melodic Heavy Metal in case that noone mentioned it...
boris

Post by boris »

Raiskiy Ad is progressive metal. For me an album is not supposed to be all heavy metal to be good. This album is fucking incredible. Some moments remind me of 70's prog, with the sinister touch of Atomic Rooster and such, and I really love this music.

Cherniy Koffe is an immortal classic of Russian metal. the Perestupi Porog LP is one of the few I brought with me from Russia when I came to live in Israel in 1991. They have a new album out in april and I will get to see them live on april 24th ... at last ! Check out their Svetliy Metal album with material from the early tape albums, it slays.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Boris wrote:Raiskiy Ad is progressive metal.
Agree with the term progressive, but metal? I always thought that this genre means something close to the music that PSYCHOTIC WALTZ (Social Grace) or SECRECY or early DREAM THEATER or FATES WARNING (No exit, Perfext Symmetry) played on their albums. RAISKIY AD's album is nerveless and lacks the intensity of metal. OK, you don't have to bang your head all the time in order to call one thing metal, but i almost fell asleep when i heard RA's LP...
Boris wrote: For me an album is not supposed to be all heavy metal to be good.
Absolutely. No one said the opposite. And also it doesn't have to be ''heavy metal'' if there are 5 metallic riffs in an album that lasts 40 minutes. Basically, my problem with RA is not the definition of the music they play, but the fact that i have heard many many non/semi-metallic albums better than it... just my opinion.