Opinions about re-releases of old classics

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Metalipeiklo

Opinions about re-releases of old classics

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Yea, what's your opinion really? Too bad that many labels decide to give these beautiful-ugly releases a "modern" touch in the layout and completely destroys the original feeling of the records. I think the re-releases should try sticking to the original as closely as possible. Let be that there could be some copyright issues (damn!) which prohibits the reissues to look like the originals. Liner notes and stuff like that is always appreciated but I think that you can't modernize things too much without loosing the original intentions of the artist.

Mention your best and worst re-released records!

Best:
TORR "Gallery" 2-cd with all early albums. Brilliant idea, nice package.
SARCOFAGUS CD's (They contain nothing new, that's good enough)
KAT "Oddech..." CD (with video tracks, good documentation)

Worst:
CETI albums
MASTER'S HAMMER 2-CD on Osmose (that label never succeeds with their designs by the way)
Fun records
odin

Post by odin »

I don't really give a damn as long as the music sounds the same, some 80's releases look pretty fucking shitty as well so you can't judge on that,I would prefer a repackaged reissues with lots of extra goodies rather than a warn out 80's original any day, if a reissue is infact available without any change in sound or whatever the fuck else.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The only thing that really bugs me is when they've changed the original cover art, even if it's only small details (Maiden debut anyone?)

There are ofcourse some exceptions, like NWN's pic-disc reissue of SARCOFAGO's i.n.r.i. which looked absolutely smashing.

Bonus material is always welcomed, even if more or less forces you to buy the new edition for those unearthed tracks alone.
Lindell

Post by Lindell »

I think High Vaultage succeded with their Mindless Sinner and Axewitch releases, with great extra material and liner notes, etc.

There are so many useless re-releases as well. One of the 'better' examples must be the upcoming Mercy 7" on NWN!, featuring a demo already re-released on one of TPL Records cd re-releases.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote:The only thing that really bugs me is when they've changed the original cover art, even if it's only small details
Yep. That's one thing that pisses me off too. Leave the original artwork alone even if it's the worst that ever came out, PLEASE.

Poor artwork without lyrics, notes etc is also (commercially) discouraging for me.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

ION BRITTON wrote:
DaN wrote:The only thing that really bugs me is when they've changed the original cover art, even if it's only small details
Yep. That's one thing that pisses me off too. Leave the original artwork alone even if it's the worst that ever came out, PLEASE.

Poor artwork without lyrics, notes etc is also (commercially) discouraging for me.
The problem often are the bands and what they want and offer. See the GRAVEN IMAGE LP. It was a hard fight over two years to get it released and then: no pics, no info, nothing was given by Mr. Griffin that is the reason it finally was such an average re-release with a weak in details changed front cover.
I think this change is ok cause as a die-hard collector it pisses me off if all stuff is bootlegged or re-released 1:1....so little changes are sometimes a fine thing.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Fils Du Metal wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:

The problem often are the bands and what they want and offer. See the GRAVEN IMAGE LP. It was a hard fight over two years to get it released and then: no pics, no info, nothing was given by Mr. Griffin that is the reason it finally was such an average re-release with a weak in details changed front cover.
I think this change is ok cause as a die-hard collector it pisses me off if all stuff is bootlegged or re-released 1:1....so little changes are sometimes a fine thing.
Got your point, but what about those who don't have the original releases, and most important, those who can't afford obtaining them?

What bands want and what they offer is an importart issue indeed. However, it's also of major significance what they do have in their hands, what it is really available after all these years. If nothing is left, no original tapes, no photos, no lyrics, even if you have the will to do it right, how good the rerelease can finally be? In this case, you simply compromise with the unpleasant situation.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Yes, the people who can't afford/don't want an original could buy an official CD re-rleease for example...ok, also the LP re-release but then with bonus tracks etc...it shan't be 100% the same like the original.

For the stuff, pics, bios etc. : Yes, I am always running in that problem. My new release in April will be the HOLSTER (French band) LP...the band members are no more into metal and there is only a handful of pics, one logo and one bat logo that can be taken for cover...people surely will ask me again why no big posters, gatefold-covers etc...I will only take the original logos and pics, never would paint something or buy some fashion motive with monsters etc...The point is: I LOVE the music like I did for VIXEN and GI so I will do it also under those circumstances cause the music kills in my opinion...and hopefully I will find 300 people thinking the same so that I get at least the zero/zero point.
If you release the stuff commcercially cause you gotta live of the releass it is more difficult and there are more points to consider for sure....but actually I release the stuff for me.
odin

Post by odin »

I've found the main reasons on delayed reissues due to the band members not being interested in metal anymore and copyright issues,or a combination of both, It seems on average though the main issue holding most bands back is copyright issues and greedy labels not wanting to work with them if it isn't profitable for the record label, mainly due to the record label changing principles and practices since the band was singed with them or under new management.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

Personally, as chief of a label who has rereleased and will rerelease ols stuff, I try to keep all as near as possible to the original stuff. You can improve some things like sound and add lyrics + inner notes, and of course include extra songs. Sadly most of times that is not possible, due to the difficuty of getting in touch with old band members or, sometimes musicians just do not wnat to cooperate. But yez. Blower always try to keep the art work as much as similar to those original art. Of course the sound must be improved, not ruined!

I think the Venom lp & cd rereleases are killer, all those high voltage / axe kiler as well. Of course those of Blower :lol:

The worse must be thsoe dissastrous Bathory lp reissues Black Mark did their best to ruin and make them look like shit
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Fils Du Metal wrote:Yes, the people who can't afford/don't want an original could buy an official CD re-rleease for example...ok, also the LP re-release but then with bonus tracks etc...it shan't be 100% the same like the original.
And those 80's bands that aren't rereleased?Shouldn't we hear them?Generally as reissues i prefer the Karthago and Battle Cry releases.
As for very ugly rereleases usually i don't care(i buy many bootlegs,also what else can i do i need to have the 80's masterpieces) although some could be done
with more care.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Fils Du Metal wrote:
My new release in April will be the HOLSTER (French band) LP...the band members are no more into metal and there is only a handful of pics, one logo and one bat logo that can be taken for cover...people surely will ask me again why no big posters, gatefold-covers etc...I will only take the original logos and pics, never would paint something or buy some fashion motive with monsters etc...
And where will that release be released? Another Corroseum label ... ?

Btw, DaN, when Corroseum Records? Never say never.

IMO, most of the re-releases are somehow dispensable. I would like to see more vinyl re-releases. I guess NWN does a good job. Regarding CD- re-res, for most I do not fuss, but for ex. CF rediscography is beyond any contempt. Another flop is Assassin's Upcoming Terror with innacurate transfer - missing sequences - like if one would have vg- vinyl. Aaaaaargh!
I am ... the One you warned me of
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

the worst offenders for changing the cover art is that retarded reissue of sarcofago's "inri" with the brown cover and "modern" font, and the reissues of the first couple therion albums. really really ugly, especially compared with the awesome original cover art
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

metalmaster wrote:
The worse must be thsoe dissastrous Bathory lp reissues Black Mark did their best to ruin and make them look like shit
Indeed! How could I forget these terrible releases? Black Mark will probably go to history as one of the worst layout-labels and not-caring-about-any-other-of-their-bands-than-BATHORY-label(s).
Fun records
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Metalipeiklo wrote:
metalmaster wrote:
Indeed! How could I forget these terrible releases? Black Mark will probably go to history as one of the worst layout-labels and not-caring-about-any-other-of-their-bands-than-BATHORY-label(s).
Shit, I've ordered a Bathory: Blood fire death LP, because my old vinyl went to hell. I don't have it yet but it's a rerelease with clear vinyl, don't know if it's Black mark
Long Live The Loud !!!