Metal inspired by Elric!

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
pzman

Post by pzman »

A few more elric references:

Sword's Lament - Cauldron Born
Stormbringer - Magnum
Borrowed Time - Diamond Head
Bane

Post by Bane »

This is fantastic. Cheers guys. Can anyone think of any other album artwork apart from Cirith Ungol, Domine & Diamond Head that have Elric imagery?
MercyfulUngol

Post by MercyfulUngol »

Bane wrote:This is fantastic. Cheers guys. Can anyone think of any other album artwork apart from Cirith Ungol, Domine & Diamond Head that have Elric imagery?
Caronte has one, which I'm sure is a Rodney Matthews piece - my least favorite Elric illustrator - I hate how he does those fucking faces, his eyes are like annoyingly slanted and his cheeks and lips look like he has stuffed a large pair of testicles in them.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

A more obscure one:

SALEM'S LOT (US,TX) - Elric of Melnibone (from demo '89)
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
MercyfulUngol

Post by MercyfulUngol »

ION BRITTON wrote:A more obscure one:

SALEM'S LOT (US,TX) - Elric of Melnibone (from demo '89)
Ah, thought that was on the page I posted, I guess not.
hload

Post by hload »

angelo perlepes' mystery-destiny (concept 'bout elric, thanx to mitsos who gave him the elric books)
avalon-live or die(first 3 trax from side bee)
Lukcifer

Post by Lukcifer »

Can't beleave nobody has mentioned Blue Oyster Cult yet...
MercyfulUngol

Post by MercyfulUngol »

Lukcifer wrote:Can't beleave nobody has mentioned Blue Oyster Cult yet...
I think some of the links posted already mentioned them.

Moorcock should write more lyrics, Veteran Of The Psychic Wars rules!
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

MercyfulUngol wrote:
Lukcifer wrote:Can't beleave nobody has mentioned Blue Oyster Cult yet...
I think some of the links posted already mentioned them.

Moorcock should write more lyrics, Veteran Of The Psychic Wars rules!

Ever checked out his band? Not metal, not even really good, but the lyrics are sometimes very good.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
StygianBlade

Post by StygianBlade »

Stormbringer from Illinois, US have taken their name from Elric stuff. They even called their music "Champion Metal" at least this is written into the cover of their 1994 Stealer Of Souls tape that shows no one else than Elric handing the Black Sword.

There is also a Greek Black Metal band called MournBlade. They have released one same titled album back in 2001 I think.

That is all I can remember by now and has not be mentioned.

There is more for sure.
Zherneboh

Post by Zherneboh »

mordred wrote:I don't remember exactly which ones but I'm pretty sure both Doomsword and The Gates of Slumber have written songs about Elric.
That's 'Return to Imyrr' I think for Doomsword. I don't read any sci-fi so it's always interesting to hear what a song I really like is based on. Someone was explaining to me recently about a section from 'Somewhere Far Beyond' with a bagpipe...that also involved a talking train or something...I think sometimes I'd rather not know the details.
Weigh anchor, hoist the sails
Cruisin' for booty on watery trails
DMR

Post by DMR »

Zherneboh wrote:I don't read any sci-fi so it's always interesting to hear what a song I really like is based on. Someone was explaining to me recently about a section from 'Somewhere Far Beyond' with a bagpipe...that also involved a talking train or something...I think sometimes I'd rather not know the details.
I heard that Somewhere Far Beyond was based on Stephen King's Dark Tower. I've never read it, but I didn't think that there was a talking train in there!
Zherneboh

Post by Zherneboh »

DMR wrote: I heard that Somewhere Far Beyond was based on Stephen King's Dark Tower. I've never read it, but I didn't think that there was a talking train in there!
Or maybe it could only communicate telepathically!? Who knows! Either way...there was definitely a reason for the mid-song bagpipe solo...there just has to be!
Weigh anchor, hoist the sails
Cruisin' for booty on watery trails
Cauldron_Born

Post by Cauldron_Born »

Siberian USPM style with lyrics about Elric. Best band I have heard in years! I will be releasing their debut album"The Sword Accurst" on my Echoes of Crom label,following the Briton Rites album(very soon.)

http://www.myspace.com/blackswordmetal
Bearer of the Black Sword

Post by Bearer of the Black Sword »

+1000000000000000 for this topic. I adore the Elric books, i find Elric one of the most genuine and complete characters ever created.

Another song about Elric is Messenger of Chaos by Assedium.