Are W.A.S.P. real metal or not? POLL ADDED PLACE YOUR VOTE

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Are W.A.S.P. real Metal or not?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:10 am

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 33

GJ

Post by GJ »

My ears tell me the Wasp debut being rather raw - definitely HEAVY METAL and also truly great stuff!
mordred

Post by mordred »

There's an awful lot of talk about the debut, which is a fine record in itself, but...

...have you heard The Headless Children? Or more importantly, have you who don't think of W.A.S.P. as real metal heard The Headless Children? It is W.A.S.P.'s darkest, heaviest and best album and if it ain't real metal than I don't know what is. The title song borders on epic doom metal for crying out loud!
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

mordred wrote:There's an awful lot of talk about the debut, which is a fine record in itself, but...

...have you heard The Headless Children? Or more importantly, have you who don't think of W.A.S.P. as real metal heard The Headless Children? It is W.A.S.P.'s darkest, heaviest and best album and if it ain't real metal than I don't know what is. The title song borders on epic doom metal for crying out loud!
Can't really add much to this. There's no way around it - it's HEAVY metal to the bone. And a furious testament to Blackie's ability for writing pounding, heavy yet catchy heavy metal music.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
GJ

Post by GJ »

Loco-motive Man from Unholy Terror is one of my "recent" faves - it just klicks with me somehow.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Honestly, if half of the 80s thrash bands had written songs with the fury and the caliber of a 'Maneater' or 'Chainsaw Charlie' I would have been a really dedicated thrash metal fan.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Time for me to retire.... tired to beat the dead horse! :D
mordred

Post by mordred »

Back in the day all "real metalers" considered W.A.S.P. to be posers... and Manilla Road was a joke and Anthrax were really fucking cool on their skateboards and Cirith Ungol was the worst band ever. Well, the metalheads didn't really have a clue about anything back then. :D
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Tobiee

Post by Tobiee »

mordred wrote:Back in the day all "real metalers" considered W.A.S.P. to be posers... and Manilla Road was a joke and Anthrax were really fucking cool on their skateboards and Cirith Ungol was the worst band ever. Well, the metalheads didn't really have a clue about anything back then. :D

Anthrax must be one of the most overrated thrashbands ever.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Tobiee wrote:
mordred wrote:Back in the day all "real metalers" considered W.A.S.P. to be posers... and Manilla Road was a joke and Anthrax were really fucking cool on their skateboards and Cirith Ungol was the worst band ever. Well, the metalheads didn't really have a clue about anything back then. :D

Anthrax must be one of the most overrated thrashbands ever.
If all of Anthrax's albums were of the same quality as the debut, then I would generally hold the band in much higher regards. The band is quite average.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

No, those were the "generic metalers". They were "Scene people", not "listen to it and fuck, I like this, people".
big mouth wrote:Time for me to retire.... tired to beat the dead horse! :D
You don't beat dead horses. You bury them, put up a gravestone, and come back every night (you know the hour) to worship, reminisce and pay tribute.
PoserHolocaust

Post by PoserHolocaust »

I consider WASP's first album a heavy metal classic, but being on a major label (and probably due to the pressure of execs for them to really move records) they got pretty wimpy on the second album onwards in my opinion. By the time Headless Children came out I was beyond caring, but i'd pick it up cheap today.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Yes, WASP are metal: move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Long Live The Loud !!!
GJ

Post by GJ »

The Sentinel wrote:Yes, WASP are metal: move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You think I should pull out Kill Fuck Die for a thorough examination tonight then...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Let's suppose they are not metal. What are they then? Hard rock? AOR? Poser? In what way does the s/t ablum sound like the first Bon Jovi or Dokken or White Lion? Do you really get a similar feeling by listening to those bands and W.A.S.P.? Is there a line that strongly connects 'Runaway' and 'Tooth and nail' with 'Hellion' or 'The torture never stops' that most people refuse to see?
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

ION BRITTON wrote:Let's suppose they are not metal. What are they then? Hard rock? AOR? Poser? In what way does the s/t ablum sound like the first Bon Jovi or Dokken or White Lion? Do you really get a similar feeling by listening to those bands and W.A.S.P.? Is there a line that strongly connects 'Runaway' and 'Tooth and nail' with 'Hellion' or 'The torture never stops' that most people refuse to see?
exactly, actually their debut is closer to the underground US metal sound than the ones u just mentioned