Coven (Detroit)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Sentinel

Coven (Detroit)

Post by The Sentinel »

Coven: Worship new gods LP

I'm playing this one over and over and over again...what a musical mountain. The atmosphere here is one of the most haunting things I ever heard. They create an equel sinister landscape of surrealistic content like the mighty Brocas Helm. The feeling you get while listening to this album is POWER. It's like you're transfered back to ancient Rome and fighting demonic gladiators in an enormous arena, while all mortals are worshipping their new god, YOU.

For me this record is definitely 10/10.

topic edited/aDmiN
Long Live The Loud !!!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I totally agree with you. This album is a masterpiece, a must of US metal together with LEGEND, BROCAS HELM, MANILLA ROAD.
It has such an unique atmosphere, it's sometimes epic, sometimes gloomy and sometimes evil.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

What can I ad that hasn't been said already? One of the greatest underground releases from the US ever. I actually got in contact w/ the drummer and sent him a long list of Q's for an interview, but he seems even lazier than me, so no answers yet :(

Has anyone got a good rip of their 2nd album fron '91? I think it was only released on tape and is supposed to be more goth influenced, but I'd still really like to hear it.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I would love to hear that one as well. Maybe the drummer can sent it along with the answers :P
Long Live The Loud !!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Sentinel wrote:I would love to hear that one as well. Maybe the drummer can sent it along with the answers :P
That was the idea, yes. Time for a reminder e-mail me thinks..
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

DaN wrote:
Has anyone got a good rip of their 2nd album fron '91? I think it was only released on tape and is supposed to be more goth influenced, but I'd still really like to hear it.
Does someone knows the title of that 2nd album ?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Great doomy power metal album! A tune like "Riddle of steel" slays both musically and lyricly! The goth influences can not go unnoticed. Amazing artwork as well. Sadly, no info about their 2nd release.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
BloodOfChrist

Post by BloodOfChrist »

The second album was actually a 1991 demo tape called "Ragnarok". It was released when the band was called Coven 13, and its very different then "Worship New Gods" (and frankly I dont like it nearly as much).
Last edited by BloodOfChrist on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
silverchame03

Post by silverchame03 »

Coven was great
ATHEIST

Post by ATHEIST »

silverchame03 wrote:Coven was great
yeah great band, very underrated
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

just reading the review, makes me wonder about a complete obcure heavy metal night playing tha album over and over again....already in my wantlist
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Holy crap. I didn't noticed the interview until now. Great work Dan. I'm looking forward to a re-release of the Coven 13 tape :D
Long Live The Loud !!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Sentinel wrote:Holy crap. I didn't noticed the interview until now. Great work Dan. I'm looking forward to a re-release of the Coven 13 tape :D
Cheers! Though I wouldn't hold my breath about a "Ragarok" reissue. The band didn't seem to keen on the idea and I can hardly blame them. A very disappointing recording on all fronts.

...but both LP- and CD-reissues of "Worship New Gods" are in making, on 2 different labels. More details as papers are signed and masters are on their way to the factories. (I don't wanna "hex" these important events...)
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

That's great news about the reissue of Worship New Gods; one of the best albums ever made imo.
Long Live The Loud !!!
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

The Sentinel wrote:That's great news about the reissue of Worship New Gods; one of the best albums ever made imo.
i was waiting for some good news like this!...sad news my want-list is getting bigger, and my pocket smaller :?