CHALICE - One Final Sin

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Absolute2000

Chalice Demo

Post by Absolute2000 »

It has been sometime since I posted on this site. The past few months have been very hectic for me. I hope you all had a great holiday. Sadly I have not had any luck getting a hold of the original demo. The copy I have is probably not much better than what you guys have heard. Maybe worse. I am still trying to get in touch with the old guitar player Greg. He would probably have the original. For some reason he has not respond to my emails. Maybe he does not want to be involved with the whole Chalice past anymore. Again I offer to rerecord the songs. May be the only way. I have musicians who are intrested. I will make more attempts this week to get the originals recordings. I will keep you guys posted. Happy New Year to all. Be well.
Mike Dworkin
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

:twisted: CHALICE :twisted:

Who did this story end? Any recordings came up?

This demo shall be in every collection!
If you Mike find an original cassette, drop me an email at apollo.ra@hotmail.com.... Even if i preffer the original, a nice copy with better sound would be great.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Yeah, sad to see that this came to nothing so far. I still play the three CHALICE songs from time to time.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Absolute2000

Update

Post by Absolute2000 »

Sorry it has been so long. Well I was recently contacted by somebody in Greece looking for any recordings of Chalice so it prompted me to get off my ass and one last time try to search out my old guitar player Gregg from Chalice. Finally I found him today. He was as amazed as I was that there is worldwide interest in Chalice. He asked me to foward this post to him. We are going to talk about what recordings he might have and especially and hopefully he has the master recording of the original three songs. We had other songs besides the three that we use to play out. I don't remember if we have any recordings of that. Who knows maybe some live stuff. I will keep all of you updated. Hopefully a lot sooner than later. If any of you would like to contact me you can find me on facebook under Mike Dworkin.
Take care.
Mike Dworkin
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

well I did a review of the tape almost 3 years ago for my fanzine Under Fire, sadly it is in Spanish, but...

CHALICE: “One final sin” Demo 1986 Estados Unidos.
Hay grupos muy buenos que nacen salados. Estos son un ejemplo, y ni porque eran cristianos les fue mejor. No sé cómo le hacían los grupos de White Metal, pero siempre sacaban discos bien producidos y profesionales. Igual el dinero lo robaban de las limosnas. La cosa es que este demo es de mucha calidad, en cuanto a música y grabación. Olvídense de que son cristianos, la música es excelente. De los tres cortes “Seven Seas of Rhyme”, Reincarnation” y “Egypt”, la calidad se mantiene con esplendor. Si bien son melódicos como casi todos los grupos de hermanos, las guitarras de Phil y Mike tienen agresividad que no se pierde con la voz que no es agudísima como uno podría esperarse. A pesar de todo lo bueno de esta cinta, se tardaron como tres años para sacar un disco, que era más como disco solista del el guitarrista y vocalista Phil, el cual no he podido oír jamás, pero si está en el estándar alto de calidad de este demito, seguro que ha de ser un discazo.

Here the cover of that issue:

Absolute2000

Post by Absolute2000 »

Wow wish I could speak spanish. So what did you think of it and how did you come to hear this demo three years ago?

Mike
Mike Dworkin
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Cool to hear there's been a breakthrough! It really is an outstanding demo; it still gets regular play in my iTunes rotation :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
PsychoDad

Post by PsychoDad »

Absolute2000 wrote:Wow wish I could speak spanish. So what did you think of it and how did you come to hear this demo three years ago?

Mike
With a little help from our friend, google translator:
"CHALICE: "One final without" Demo 1986 United States. There are very good groups born salty. These are an example, and not because they were Christians fared better. I do not know how he did the White Metal groups, but always drew well produced and professional records. Like the money he stole from the charity. The thing is that this demo is of great quality, in music and recording. Forget that they are Christians, the music is excellent. Of the three cuts "Seven Seas of Rhyme" Reincarnation "and" Egypt ", the quality is maintained in splendor. While they are melodic and almost all groups of brothers, guitarists Phil and Mike have not lost aggressiveness with the voice that is not razor-sharp as one might expect. Despite all the good in this film, it took about three years to release a record, it was more like the solo guitarist and vocalist Phil, which I could not ever hear, but if you're in the high standard of quality This Demito, sure to be a great album."

I have to agree that this is a very good demo.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

It's a an excellent demo, well worth a rerelease. Hope you can find recordings which are good enough, though to me the uploads here were of pretty good quality.

Rerecording stuff should be considered too. There are a few examples of really good new recordings of old material from some bands (like Anvil Chorus). Like other people here, I would prefer the old recordings though.

PS! thanks for persistently telling me this was great PsychoDad. Only now have I realised you were right :wink:
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

great_knuthulhu wrote:There are a few examples of really good new recordings of old material from some bands (like Anvil Chorus)
Very possibly the ONLY example...The original versions first, please.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Absolute2000

Post by Absolute2000 »

Well guys I am waiting to here back from Gregg on what he finds. As the guitar player of Chalice he also aggress with the majority of you that rerecording our old songs would not have the same magic as the originals. What Greg and I have talked about over the past few days is going in and recording some of our other songs that did not nake the demo or even writing some new material. I have recently got together with a vocal coach to get my voice back in shape. I have also started rehearsing with another band to do a show on November 25th. I went in to the studio the other day and reheased for about 2 hours. I sang some Judas Priest, Ozzy, Alice in Chains and Deep Purple. My voice felt good so I think in time I will be prepared to maybe start the Chalice engine back up. Very exciting and I have to thank all of you for the interest. You guys have reignited a flame that I though died almot 20 years ago. Now if any of you could give me tips on successfully growing my hair back like it was in the 80's it would be the icing on the cake...lol. I will talk to you guys soon hopefully with news of found Chalice material.
Mike Dworkin
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Absolute2000 wrote:What Greg and I have talked about over the past few days is going in and recording some of our other songs that did not make the demo
That's not a totally bad idea if no decent live/rehearsal recordings of the songs turn up. If possible, do your best to recreate the vibe and sound of the original demo rather than using the most hip'n'modern digital studio techniques (worst faux pas imaginable among us - your grumpy, backwards & conservative fanbase :lol: ). As it's been mentioned before, next to the amazing songwriting that raw guitar tone and those restrained/solemn/"serious" vocals is such a huge part of the CHALICE-magick.

Looking forward to hear more news of unearthed demo copies & livetapes!
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

ION BRITTON wrote:
great_knuthulhu wrote:There are a few examples of really good new recordings of old material from some bands (like Anvil Chorus)
Very possibly the ONLY example...The original versions first, please.
I was going to argue with you on that, but then I couldn't think of any other bands apart from Anvil Chorus doing really good new versions of old material. Certainly not better versions.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Absolute2000

Post by Absolute2000 »

I am confident that Gregg will dig up a better version of our 3 song demo and hopefully he can find the live show we did when we opened up for Cinderella at the Galaxy in New Jersey in 1985. He said there was a recording right off the board. It would be fantastic if he can find it. What Gregg and I talked about as far as new recordings in not the 3 song demo but record stuff that you guys never heard yet. We had some other really good songs that never were recorded.

Mike
Mike Dworkin
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Absolute2000 wrote: We had some other really good songs that never were recorded.

Mike
that sounds interesting!