new(er) bands rehashing & copying

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
voidghast

Post by voidghast »

Professor Black wrote:But I love Emperor and Omen and they are both part of my concept of heavy metal.
Certainly the way I look at. They are both coming from the same place but have different approaches. It's a kind of gut feeling for me, "Does this music connect me to that heavy metal source?" Even when I don't care for an album, be it something by the likes of Opeth or Virgin Steel, I don't consider it to be "false metal." It's just a different approach that I don't find to be pleasing.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

voidghast wrote:
Professor Black wrote:But I love Emperor and Omen and they are both part of my concept of heavy metal.
Certainly the way I look at. They are both coming from the same place but have different approaches. It's a kind of gut feeling for me, "Does this music connect me to that heavy metal source?" Even when I don't care for an album, be it something by the likes of Opeth or Virgin Steel, I don't consider it to be "false metal." It's just a different approach that I don't find to be pleasing.
Well I think bands like Opeth, Amorphis, Samael, Moonspell, etc are far of what can be conisdered Heavy Metal. I think some of them eve regret and deny any past of present connection with Metal. Even when there are many ways to approach Heavy Metal, I think there are certain borders that separates heavy metal of, lets say europop or experimental or modern rock.
voidghast

Post by voidghast »

Well Amorphis, Samael and Moonspell were waaaaay more hard rock than metal last time I checked, so I wasn't going to mention any of them. I'm honestly not aware of Opeth's sound nowadays, I've only heard three albums. Just felt they were a good example, along with Virgin Steele, of a metal band that people either love and consider to be the definition of heavy metal or hate and call "gay" and "not metal." I couldn't connect with either band's albums myself, I simply concurred that I didn't like their approaches.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

That's a very respectful approach which I shall adopt from now on, as I've been guilty of disrespecting bands I dislike, when there's just no call for that kind of behaviour at all. But I gotta say, I love second-wave BM, bands like Root, Emperor, Varathron, Burzum... I think that some of them showed that a lot can be done with very minimal means, maybe rehashing Bathory to some degree and Venom but still, it grabbed me and never let me go. But like Professor Black, I don't need originality (though I do respond well to it when I find it, like Master's Hammer :lol: )
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I think creativity is the key in Metal as in many other things in life. Perhpas you cant invent something new but you can always leave your mark with creating something different from something old. Venom and Bathory for instance did not create something totally new, but different. And you can still create something, perhaps not new or not with much own personality, but well done and played.

Sadly most of bands of today lacks of creativity and are highly boring, at least for most of veterans in the scene.
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

Helm wrote:And it's even more interesting how bands like Negative Plane or Negura Bunget (to talk in the realm of black metal) that see the line from Sabbath to Voivod to Mayhem to themselves, are making music that is still vital.
I like this line.
AngelOfLucifer

Post by AngelOfLucifer »

Dodens Grav wrote:
Helm wrote:And it's even more interesting how bands like Negative Plane or Negura Bunget (to talk in the realm of black metal) that see the line from Sabbath to Voivod to Mayhem to themselves, are making music that is still vital.
I like this line.
Negative Plane is mostly influenced by ancient stuff just because that's where the musical interests lie, so that's pretty spot on. First Black Sabbath album all the way, dark, sinister and impending atmosphere, doesn't get any better.