Documentary films about Heavy Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Abyss wrote:There is another one I've saw about nwobhm it seems to have been on british television about nwobhm fans going to "heavy metal discos" and playing cardboard guitars along with the music.
This sounds like it may be the 1981 "20th Century Box" TV show episode which featured the Soundhouse Heavy Metal Bandwagon and it's DJ Neal Kay. The show was primarily about Iron Maiden, but does offer some excellent clips and interviews with fans and from inside the Soundhouse too. Some great live & interview footage of the young Maiden too. It's included in it's entireity on Maiden's "Early Years Volume 1" dvd.
The 1989 British tv documentary mentioned earlier in the thread was a Heavy Metal special episode of the "Arena" arts show on the BBC. It was the first of a week long series of Heavy Metal specials featuring concert shows from the likes of Metallica and Slayer. The docu itself, was a mixture of clips from the upcoming live concerts, and various talking heads talking about what Heavy Metal meant to them, with Black Sabbath featured heavily at the beginning. The middle section was a lengthy interview with Napalm Death, which through editing or possibly not, made the band appear pretty stupid.
The general tone of the whole piece was slanted in order to portray the music and fans as primitive and childish in my view, but as i haven't seen it in nearly 20 years, but perhaps time has been unkind to my memory and kind to the show.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

That Headbangers Journey is a total disgrace!!

I saw another documentary that was pretty OK, but I can't remember it's title ... it must have been done in the last 5 years, it lasts for several hours and it begins with Tony Iommi speaking about his metalworks accident ...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Abyss wrote: MusikByran Thrash Metal Documentary (200?)

Documentary about the history of thrash metal. Broadcasted on SVT2 (Swedish TV). Features interviews with Anthrax, Metallica, Motorhead, Sepultura, Kreator. Spoken languages: English interviews (Swedish subtitles), Swedish commentator (sorry, no English subtitles).

The info was taken from this blog it lists a lot more documentaries.
That's the one I use for morning motivation ... from time to time. Very good in my opinion. Only a bit too short, but otherwise I couldn't use it for morning motivating.

skicklyga musicker rule! right, DaN?
I am ... the One you warned me of
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

sovdat wrote:That Headbangers Journey is a total disgrace!!

I saw another documentary that was pretty OK, but I can't remember it's title ... it must have been done in the last 5 years, it lasts for several hours and it begins with Tony Iommi speaking about his metalworks accident ...
Boštjan, perhaps not really a disgrace, but the way the guy sees subgenre-defining made me squirm. His "groupings of ten" are mindboggling. I'd love to hear some explanation from him. Hope he doesn't think he made a favor to newbie fans and sellers.

IMHO proper Metal documentary should have at least a year of playing time. :wink:
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I'm getting really sick of seeing Scott Ian & Lars Ulrich in every one of these fucking docos!

I do believe that Sam guy who made Headbangers Journey, Global Metal & Flight 666 is also doing a RUSH doco!!!!!!
Oh fuck help me... he's the Martin Popoff of film :(
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I did see a documentary recently called 'Heavy Metal Basement' (I think?) & basically it was an extension of 'Heavy Metal Parking Lot', but it was an insight into a Judas Priest fans collection in his basement!
Quite cool I thought, going through all his JP records! Nothing uber-rare or outrageous, but I get the feeling judging from his collection he would've had some very interesting (non-JP) records tucked away!?!?!?
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
MetalizeR

Post by MetalizeR »

sovdat wrote:That Headbangers Journey is a total disgrace!!

I think you talk about the VH1 Heavy: The Story of Metal.
I want to see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twLdbDKnqGY
peterott

Post by peterott »

Thrash Altenessen

Movie about Kreator and the Ruhrpott in the mid/end 80es and the rise of Thrash Metal. Broadcasted on German TV nearly two decades ago. Lots of killer live footage.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... essen&aq=f

=> film is split into multiple parts (10 or so on youtube)
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

oh yeah a good one: Iron Maiden and the NWoBHM nice interviews,cool facts, great soundtrack!
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

OK, perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong one but Metal - A Headbangers Journey is the one where they're talking about bands like Kittie and similar? ;)

MetalizeR: Yes, I think that this should be the right one, thanks!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

MetalizeR wrote:I want to see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twLdbDKnqGY
Looks interesting.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Avenger wrote:
Looks interesting.
Yes. Very much so
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

The Erlking wrote:
Avenger wrote:
Looks interesting.
Yes. Very much so
Is that an excerpt of something bigger or defined as it is?