Fav Power/Prog bands

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
pzman

Post by pzman »

Thx for all the replies guys. Quite a few new unknown bands mentioned. Can't wait to check some of them out.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

King's Ransom is my favourite (amongst those mentioned). I still need to do some catching up on this matter.
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Korgüll wrote:Just a handful that I'm sure I've mentioned before:

SHADOW GALLERY
LEVIATHAN (this one: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1118)
VANDEN PLAS (early)
ARCHETYPE (US)
SYMPHONY X (most)
CLOUDSCAPE
LOST HORIZON
BODRAGAZ (more prog than power)
The most of those bands like Shadow Gallery, Leviathan (kick-ass band!), Symphony X, Vanden Plas, Bodragaz are definetely prog bands.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

MassOfKthulu wrote:i'm not sure solar eagle counts as power/prog? i ve yet to find any prog elements in the material-
I was thinking the demo tracks which don't follow the common verse - chorus - verse - chorus - solo structure, but i guess this one also counts
multiple vocal tracks layed on top of eachother as 'proggish'
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Anyway Solar Eagle in their demo sounds a bit like a weirder The Warning-era Queensrÿche.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Would you count CRYPT from Canada as Power/Prog or just Power Metal? Some of their songs remind a little bit of Slauter Xstroyes like "Die Sister Die". Great band none the less.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Helm

Post by Helm »

It is fascinating to me that there is so much immediate consensus on the boards on what prog/power is when we can't all agree on what melodic metal, or even speed metal is. Is it because 'prog/power' becomes pretty much interchangeable with 'US POWER' after 1990 and we have a lot of US metal hounds around here?

Has anyone mentioned Kingsbane thus far? Easy on the power, but quite wonderful on the progressive end of the sphere. Fates Warning followers, naturally there's a lot of Rush in there. Some early Dream Theater. Classy singer, wonderful double guitars by people who knew what they were doing.
Moonchild

Post by Moonchild »

Most of my fave bands have already been mentioned. The bands in my list should fit the criteria of power/prog, some are more power oriented and some are more prog but they all have a little bit of both elements in their music.

Drive
Eniac Requiem
Eldritch Rite
Fiarro
Held Under
Hexenhaus (last 2 albums)
Ion Vein
Kinetic Dissent
Lethal
Scythian Oath
Syris
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Fuck... I forgot Syris! :wink:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Can't... Resist... Nominating... OMNITRON, VARVAR, OBLACHNIY KRAJ and ATOMGOD!

If only to break the pattern of Q-rüsh-worship and putting some hairs on the chest of the genre.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

DaN wrote:Can't... Resist... Nominating... OMNITRON, VARVAR, OBLACHNIY KRAJ and ATOMGOD!

If only to break the pattern of Q-rüsh-worship and putting some hairs on the chest of the genre.
Haha, you are putting some hairs on the chest of musik-sammler.de, that's for sure. Well done, and keep them coming!
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Moonchild wrote:Hexenhaus (last 2 albums)
I can't agree that this band at all fits into this category.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

And what about Atomgod??? :lol: :lol:
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Can't add many band names to this but only nod along, especially to mentions of Slauter Xstroyes. They were the ultimate version of this kind of thing. Also Fates Warning, early Queensryche, Taramis, Crimson Glory and Lethal's Programmed album should be up there. There are of course a lot of other good ones, but these are my faves.

And then there is Katedra of course. I think the second album, which is probably the most appropriate inclusion here, is as good as the first one.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:And what about Atomgod??? :lol: :lol:
I'd say they fit better than Hexenhaus since their music has more classic HM riffing in it, but it's assembled in a very progressive way. H-haus is just subpar Techno-Thrash imo.