Bands With 5 Awesome Albums (or more?!)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Sgt. Kuntz wrote:VIRGIN STEELE anyone?

"Noble Savage" + "Age of Consent" = one of the very best ever!
"The Marrige...Part 1 + 2" = essential as well, high class!
"Virgin Steele" + "Guardians of the Flame" I personally love them, great early US metal imo.
"Invictus" the sound is a bit strange, but with convinsing songwriting all along the line, a good one
My ratings for those albums go something like this:

Noble savage - 10/10
Guardians - 9/10
Marriage pt.1 - 9/10
Marriage pt.2 - 8.5/10
Invictus - 8.5/10
Age - 7.5/10
S/T - 6/10

I think they qualify :)
Okay, the first album has some mediocre, un-metallic songs, true. But "Age of Consent" should be a no-brainer, how could one not fall in love with "The Burning of Rome" or "Lion in Winter" or pretty much everyting else?

At least you gave "Noble Savage" a straight 10, that's cool.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Tomasteel

Post by Tomasteel »

Queensryche (i like them all, excepting the last 3, they´re good but not as the old one)
Thin Lizzy (nothing to say about them, GODS)
Metal Church (all of the albums but i think that when Kirk Arrington played, they had much more power)
Judas Priest (any mistake they have did can forgive to the masters of steel)
Riot (i love them all, with all their vocalists until Tony Moore deserted)

There are more but those bands are essential to me.

UFO also is another great example.

Metal!!!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Abyss wrote:nothing is essential.
Um.. I meant awesome.

Are things ok to be awesome?
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote: Okay, the first album has some mediocre, un-metallic songs, true. But "Age of Consent" should be a no-brainer, how could one not fall in love with "The Burning of Rome" or "Lion in Winter" or pretty much everyting else?
Those two are great, especially the masterpiece "The burning of Rome". But many points are lost because of tracks like "Seventeen", "Stay on top" and "Tragedy", all fillers for me. The rest are quite good, although none of them tops the ones you mentioned. It's not a perfect album, I actually think that 7.5/10 is a quite reasonable rating for Age of Consent.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DMR

Post by DMR »

Helm wrote:DMR I do think it's odd that the whole Gamma Ray discography does it for you, heh. I did like Land of the Free at and still do to some extent - though the lyrics and aesthetics grate nowadays but... all of it? Is 'Powerplant' a great record? No offense, of course.
Yeah, it's a great record. It's awesome! I put it on last night and it was the most fun I'd had listening to music all month. It might have been the most fun I've had all month, period! What Gamma Ray fan wouldn't think it's great?
Korgüll wrote:GWAR
I really like their first four albums, but I think they started to suck on Ragnarok. Gwar was the first metal band I saw live!
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Drumdestroyer Roitman wrote: Metal Church (all of the albums but i think that when Kirk Arrington played, they had much more power)
i could just pick 3 out of this band, that would be their debut s/t, then "The Dark" and then "Human Factor"( and i still have my doubts about the second one..) but 5? :? maybe i would mention Armored Saint in that case,and still...

was Aria already mentioned??
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

RAVEN : 3 first + Architect of Fear + Glow
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Helm, if you're interested in giving BUDGIE a listen i'd recommend their second or third albums to begin with ("Squawk" and "Never Turn Your Back On A Friend"), this is proto-metal at it's best, but there is some lighter material too which gives the albums more light & shade in my opinion, but if it's not to your taste could put you off. Likewise Burke Shelley's singing can be divisive, you either love it or hate it it seems. Tony Bourge was one of the great unsung guitarists however, giving Iommi a run for his money as "Riffmaster General", alternating beautifully between full on bludgeon and tasteful soloing as the mood took him. A power trio worthy of taking it's place alongside the greats.
Oh, and the two albums i recommended both have awesome Roger Dean sleeves too! :wink:
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I recommened Budgie's debut and Bandolier.

I can't see my feelings. :twisted:

Oh, and the two albums i recommended both have awesome horses on the cover!
mordred

Post by mordred »

Awhright, I've browsed the list of my entire collection to come up with a list of bands that made five or more records that would get at least 8/10 from me. I tried to be picky, so there are no questionable ones here.

Black Sabbath (S/T, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol. 4, Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, Headless Cross)
Candlemass (Epicus, Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Chapter VI, Death Magic Doom)
Helloween (Walls of Jericho, Keeper 1, Keeper 2, Time of the Oath, The Dark Ride)
Iron Maiden (S/T, Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Somewhere in Time, 7th Son)
Judas Priest (Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, Killing Machine, Defenders of the Faith, Painkiller)
Manilla Road (Crystal Logic, Open the Gates, Deluge, Mystification, Gates of Fire)
Running Wild (Gates to Purgatory, Under Jolly Roger, Death or Glory, Pile of Skulls, Black Hand Inn)
Savatage (Hall of the Mountain King, Gutter Ballet, Streets, Edge of Thorns, Handful of Rain, The Wake of Magellan)

Honorary mentions to Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Metallica and Skyclad, who all had four "eight-plussers" and one or a couple of "seven-or-so'ers" each.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

didn't think I saw them so let me add:

Slough Feg (all except maybe for 'Hardworlder')
Primordial (all except the first one)
Van der Graaf (first six)

I also second Reverend Bizarre (minor cheating here though), Saint Vitus (except COD obviously), Sabbath (first 5), Bolt Thrower..

Unorthodox are at 4, if you count the recent Demo re-issue. definitely worth an album that one, simply stellar!
voidghast

Post by voidghast »

Well I must be incredibly picky because I can't think of any bands with five flawless/nearly flawless albums(not according to the way in which I think of those terms). Manilla Road has 4, Sabbath has 4, Priest has 4 and that's about it. Darkthrone and Maiden aaaaalmost have 4 but not quite. I think it has to do with me valuing albums over bands but I could just be picky to an extreme level.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Dark Quarterer are another, I just realized.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

mordred wrote: Honorary mentions to Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Metallica and Skyclad, who all had four "eight-plussers" and one or a couple of "seven-or-so'ers" each.
aside from Metallica, i pretty much agree here too...
nabel

Post by nabel »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
was Aria already mentioned??
Argh! I have been thinking about this subject and Aria for sure has to be mentioned! And Slough Feg, every album by them is a diamond.