White Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

...which brings us to the subject if there really is a "White Metal sound". My answer would be a definite no. If anyone's hearing something I'm not, feel free to elaborate..
Helm

Post by Helm »

Well it has to be METAL to be WHITE METAL which is what I think BlackStele is saying. Otherwise no, I don't think there's a definite white sound. They gravitate towards doom, generally, but there's the odd thrash or death white band
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

DaN wrote:...which brings us to the subject if there really is a "White Metal sound". My answer would be a definite no. If anyone's hearing something I'm not, feel free to elaborate..
I don't agree...not only lyrics make a band White Metal..most of the Christian groups have a specific sound. It's kinda complicated to analize it here...I'll try to descibe it like this: Main characteristic: vivid guitar solos and unique vocs, air-borne drums and mid-tempo bass...but that's not a rule...for example, see groups such as Malachia, Emerald, Bloodgood and Barren Cross, and try to compare them with some others such us Kryst The Conqueror, Elinor, Valor or Oracle...that would be impossible!
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Yeah Messiah is a top 10 US band ever.When i first heard them i couldn't sleep the night(that happened also with Thunderway).More metal can't be than this and also blatant christian lyrics from start to finish.
White metal used mainly by the US music media critics to describe the unusual for many people of that era,the fact that existed heavy metal groups praising god.White metal was used for three beloved to me bands also like let's say STRYPER,BARREN CROSS,MESSIAH do you think these bands had many similarities as far as the heavy metal each one played? :wink: No i don't think so :D
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

Fucking Åmål wrote:Yeah Messiah is a top 10 US band ever.When i first heard them i couldn't sleep the night(that happened also with Thunderway).More metal can't be than this and also blatant christian lyrics from start to finish.
White metal used mainly by the US music media critics to describe the unusual for many people of that era,the fact that existed heavy metal groups praising god.White metal was used for three beloved to me bands also like let's say STRYPER,BARREN CROSS,MESSIAH do you think these bands had many similarities as far as the heavy metal each one played? :wink: No i don't think so :D
"White Metal" or "Christian Metal" used by the media also, but that doesn't mean that there isn't such sound...Yeah, you just said what I wrote in my previous post about the differences between Christian bands! :wink:

P.S: Do you fuckin believe that there are Metalheads out there that consider FINAL WARNING faggotry?? :?
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

BlackStele wrote:
P.S: Do you fuckin believe that there are Metalheads out there that consider FINAL WARNING faggotry?? :?
No noone serious metalhead would call them so.In fact it is bands like Messiah,Salem's Wych,Stormtrooper in my opinion that save the US metal scene from faggotry. :lol:
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Metal was popular in the 80's, so some churches and christians used them to propagate their message. Later they used hip-hop and r'n'b, and nowadays christian rock resurfaces...

Of course, this wasn't the point of all the bands, but there's a fact one mustn't forget: it was mostly propaganda.
Last edited by Mr Nuke on Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gott ist tot.
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

Fucking Åmål wrote:
BlackStele wrote:
No noone serious metalhead would call them so.In fact it is bands like Messiah,Salem's Wych,Stormtrooper in my opinion that save the US metal scene from faggotry. :lol:
100% agree!!
Moreover, I'd like to add, that nobody can deny about that "White Metal" propaganda, BUT nobody can deny that there is such sound also...
Chafe

Post by Chafe »

I'm surprised that no one here mentioned PUÑO DE HIERRO, from México.
They made an excellent Heavy/Power metal, but the lyrics :x :x , fuckin' christians!!!, I think most of you don't talk spanish so you won't be so dissapointed with the album itself.
Also the last V8 album ("El fin de los Inicuos"), it's christian, it's not bad at all, but "Luchando por el Metal" and "Un Paso mas en la Batalla" are obviously better!!!
DTP

Post by DTP »

INCUBUS's 'serpent temptaion' was one of thee most brutal xian deathrash albums ever...

didn't CANDLEMASS have some cryptic xian lyrics too?
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Hellpreacher wrote:INCUBUS's 'serpent temptaion' was one of thee most brutal xian deathrash albums ever...

didn't CANDLEMASS have some cryptic xian lyrics too?
I think that has been discussed here before, they did had some rare christian statements, but I don't consider them White Metal at all. You have to draw the line somewhere, and bands like CANDLEMASS or MANILLA ROAD do not count as White Metal for me personally, and also for most metal heads as well.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
DTP

Post by DTP »

yeah, i've never considered CANDLEMASS a full-on xianmetal band, just a few subtle lines here & there; it's not like they had a church-going agenda or anything like that, haha...

i never caught any pro-god lyrics in MANILLA ROAD, guess i'll need to re-listen...
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Just one excerpt from them:

A teacher that committed no crime
Who saved us with his own blood

Why don't you believe?
In the god and the man
Is it more than you can perceive?

There was also something written on the Crystal Logic LP backcover, about "Christen our Soul" or something, if my memory serves me right.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Helm

Post by Helm »

Well 'there's good and there's evil and there's no in-between' is pretty fundamentalist as well.

Generally I've come to adopt this stance with characterizations on this matter: bands that seem Christian even if not heavy-handed about it and write songs about personal redemption/doing the right thing in life and so on... I call all this 'white metal'. In this way, say, Samaritan by Candlemass is a white metal piece by a band that has only dabbled in this theme over the years. Jacob's Dream are similar, or even stuff like Mercury Rising.

I call the predominantly-US-congregation-based propaganda Christian metal bands, well, 'christian metal'. Stuff like Barren Cross and their ilk (KILLERS OF THE UNBORN oh god give me a break) It works better that way because whereas there's degrees of white metal (for me), Christian metal bands are from my point of view the 100% fundamentalist GOD WILL SAVE YOU/DESTROY YOU type like Messiah or Tyrant.
Mitch

White Metal

Post by Mitch »

Although Trouble did not consider themselves "white metal" they were clearly Christian Metal. "Psalm 9" and "The Skull" are both classic. They released a limited number of white vinyl LP's for Psalm 9. Trouble is one of the best Black Sabbath influenced bands.