NWOBHM 7" info needed

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Sentinel

NWOBHM 7" info needed

Post by The Sentinel »

I don't have any clue about following NWOBHM 7"s. Info on these 7"s is very welcomed:

Kraken: Fantasy Reality 7"

Mithrandir: the 7"s. Some say they are great, some say they are crap, so I need some objective info

Expozer: Rock Japan 7"

If someone else needs info about obscure NWOBHM 7"s, post it in this thread, so we have a good overview in the end...
Long Live The Loud !!!
ION BRITTON

Re: NWOBHM 7" info needed

Post by ION BRITTON »

The Sentinel wrote: Mithrandir: the 7"s. Some say they are great, some say they are crap, so I need some objective info
It's crap. I can't be more objective than that.

I have heard both the other two you mentioned, but it's the same old story: i don't remember them (= probably they're not that good)
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

I can upload Mithrandir 7'' (Dremers...) and Kraken 7'' within a day or two. It's both smokin' stuff.
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Avoid MITHRANDRIR !! One of the worst (if not THE worst) NWOBHM release !!

I don't know the two others.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

KRAKEN is excellent, original stuff like UK LEGEND, APOCALYPSE/OMEGA etc. The production on the 7" isn't the best though. Also look out for the killer demo :twisted:

MITHRANDIR are... special? A very young and amateurish band, quite similar to the Swedish VICTIM 7" (which I think I've uploaded before).

EXPOZER is typical melodic NWOBHM like SAMSON, FRENZY, AXIS etc..
Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

I haven't heard Mithrandir's release Magick, but I can't see how you can't adore Dreamers of Fortune? One fine little piece, that is! Have in mind, though, that I'm often like amateur heavy metal.

Kraken is also very good. A must hear in any case!
And at last, I can't recall that I have heard Expozer!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Dawnwatcher wrote:but I can't see how you can't adore Dreamers of Fortune?
That's an easy one: Horrible singer + terrible songwriting skills + horrendous guitar sound = the shittiest kind of NWOBHM you can ever get :arrow: both MITHRANDIR releases.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Dawnwatcher wrote:but I can't see how you can't adore Dreamers of Fortune?
That's an easy one: Horrible singer + terrible songwriting skills + horrendous guitar sound = the shittiest kind of NWOBHM you can ever get :arrow: both MITHRANDIR releases.
I really don't care about "correct" guitar sound and a professional vocalist as long as it has as much charm as this one has! I give it 8/10!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Dawnwatcher wrote: I really don't care about "correct" guitar sound
The guitar sound of MITHRANDIR makes SATAN'S HOST's guitars sound like VINNIE MOORE. I understand what you mean by saying ''correct'' sound and i'm not a big fan of it either, but i tell you this "thing" that i hear in MITHRANDIR defies any possible description.

BTW, who talked about professional vocals? You don't have to be a professional in order to sound ok, but that's not the case here. That guy, professional or non-professional, is just bad. I never was a fan of "professional" and polished music shit, MITHRANDIR's obscure stuff however is as crap as it can get, at least to my ears.

The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Dirty Rocker wrote:I can upload Mithrandir 7'' (Dremers...) and Kraken 7'' within a day or two. It's both smokin' stuff.
Thanks, that's indeed the best way to know these titles. I upload a bunch of stuff in return during the Christmas holidays. I finally got my own computer back and I have enough free time then (nothing better to do during Christmas anyway)
Long Live The Loud !!!
Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

ION BRITTON wrote:The guitar sound of MITHRANDIR makes SATAN'S HOST's guitars sound like VINNIE MOORE. I understand what you mean by saying ''correct'' sound and i'm not a big fan of it either, but i tell you this "thing" that i hear in MITHRANDIR defies any possible description.

BTW, who talked about professional vocals? You don't have to be a professional in order to sound ok, but that's not the case here. That guy, professional or non-professional, is just bad. I never was a fan of "professional" and polished music shit, MITHRANDIR's obscure stuff however is as crap as it can get, at least to my ears.
Alright, I guess I like it because it sounds pretty odd and because the charm on it is outstanding. However I can agree with you that the singer sounds like a teenager, but it's just delightful in my ears.
We have different thoughts about it and that's OK with me, no need to discuss it.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

According to McMillan's NWOBHM encyclopedia MITHRANDIR were indeed in their early teens when they released their debut EP. It is generally viewed as the most primitive (/"worst") release of the genre and that alone make it into a curiosity.

For me they were neither so fucking ultra-bad they were funny/entertaining (well, "Magick" was pretty close), nor so obscure they turned into great. I see the charm, but there's just so many seriously great, unsung bands from that era I'd rather listen to. Like KRAKEN! :twisted:
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I think it is very humorous the opinion this is the worst NWOBHM 7" because there are of course far far worse singles lumped into the genre. I think is is a great single myself, sure it is amateur and homemade looking. What more could you want in H.M? If they sounded like RHAPSODY I would call it the worst single, haha.
mordred

Post by mordred »

MITHRANDIR are an enigma. Though they're sloppy as hell, they're a thousand times better than the hordes and hordes of bluesy pub rock bands passing of as "NWOBHM".
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
tomas

Post by tomas »

you made me all curious about this Mithrandir ... :)
can anyone upload it please?
the worst and most primitive NWOBHM single? i'm going to like this one 8)