Your Favorite Band

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

Would probably have to be Iron Maiden for me too but Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are very close.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Black Axe wrote:
Zuul wrote:easily old Slayer
Only part of a band is your favourite band? That doesn't make any sense. For a band to be your true favourite you have to take into account the piles of crap they released.
Yeah, but you know - can you think of any bands making more than very few full-length releases who are flawless? I can't really. Having a "favourite band" who can do no wrong and who you worship is a thing for when you're young I think. With age disappears that naïve approach you used to have and in comes a more conceited one and you're more cynical. At least, that has happened to me. Therefore, the older I get, the harder it gets to really have one favourite band.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

great_knuthulhu wrote:
Black Axe wrote:
Zuul wrote:easily old Slayer
Only part of a band is your favourite band? That doesn't make any sense. For a band to be your true favourite you have to take into account the piles of crap they released.
Yeah, but you know - can you think of any bands making more than very few full-length releases who are flawless? I can't really. Having a "favourite band" who can do no wrong and who you worship is a thing for when you're young I think. With age disappears that naïve approach you used to have and in comes a more conceited one and you're more cynical. At least, that has happened to me. Therefore, the older I get, the harder it gets to really have one favourite band.
Agreed. Any band, if it stays around long enough, will release some sub-par material. I don't understand people who claim to love every single note that a band has recorded over a long career; often those fans either have not heard some of the band's albums or they just have blind devotion to the band for whatever reason.
Some bands also change so much that it's hardly fair to call 'em by the same name anymore, hence my choice of Kai-era Helloween, which has little/no resemblance to what Helloween has done in the past 15 years or so.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

great_knuthulhu wrote: Yeah, but you know - can you think of any bands making more than very few full-length releases who are flawless?
CIRITH UNGOL! They did not make many albums but all of those releases are awesome (including Paradise Lost).
msp

Post by msp »

Iron Maiden, Solitude Aeturnus and Darkthrone are probably my three most favourite bands of all time.
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
GJ

Post by GJ »

mega_lodon wrote:(including Paradise Lost).
In it's entirety? :shock:
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

GJ wrote:
Not all the songs in it are good, I agree with you. But there are at least 2 songs (Fallen idol and Chaos Rising) in this album are pure gold! Those good songs, together with Tim Baker's powerful vocal performance, easily makes the weaker parts of the album become forgivable.
GJ

Post by GJ »

...but not forgettable :wink:

The good stuff on Paradise Lost is absolutely awesome though!
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

GJ wrote:
I love it all! Yes even the "Go It Alone" which to me sounds partly a parody of sunset boulevard hard rock anthem (even if it wasn't their purpose) and partly just a catchy but honest little rocker that would maybe sound worse if wasn't for Baker's vocals that are fucking weird choice for a song like this. Sure all songs in Paradise Lost aren't 10/10 + five stars class but I still think it's a great record.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

And if you ask me, Sabbrabells didn't have a single weak moment.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
DTP

Post by DTP »

Morbid Tapes wrote:DISCHARGE.
even the middle period ('grave new world/massacre divine')
formally 'Hellpreacher'
oldskoolcollector

Post by oldskoolcollector »

Slayer!
Forbidden
Toxik
Anthrax
Metallica

I know it is for obvious ;)
Obsessed by Metal

Post by Obsessed by Metal »

CANDLEMASS

maybe because it is the first "mysterious" band I came across in my early metal years. I knew Maiden, Megadeth, Sepultura, Metallica etc..., then I stumbled on Candlemass, I thought they were completely unkown and they sounded so heavy yet so slow and ..bewitching to say the least. therefore I treasured them more than any other bands.

only after did I realize that they were already quite big when I discovered them but no matter what I still follow what they do eventhough I haven't been entranced by anything they've done since "Chapter VI"
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

oldskoolcollector wrote:Slayer!
Forbidden
Toxik
Anthrax
Metallica

I know it is for obvious ;)
No, Anthrax is not obvious at all. It is puzzling (especially for people who joined this forum).
Helm

Post by Helm »

Fates Warning, easily.
(King Crimson in non-metal context).

Sadly Fates broke their almost perfect streak (hard to deal with 'Inside Out' really) with the last album, but still they're the closest I have to a consistent favorite.

Candlemass and Mercyful Fate and Omen and Watchtower and Brocas Helm and Psychotic Waltz and Mayfair and Manilla Road and Autopsy and Cirith Ungol and Xerxes and Fleurety and In the Woods and Mekong Delta and Warlord and Confessor and and and and all that stuff follows right below because I love them mostly for one or two albums each at most. Fates have been the only band whose career has ensnared me on the whole.

It's easier to have a favorite band now that we're older if the band was an obscure 80's act that put out one or two great albums only, for many aforementioned reasons. I could say for example Slauter Xstroyes and be in the clear, but to be frank, Fates Warning reach strata that almost nobody else conquered, for me.

Also to the childish aspect... I think having a favorite anything means you're prepared to be extra critical with it. We must be hard with the things we love, not blindingly accept them and support them just because they carry nostalgic weight. So if 'favorite band' when I was 13 meant I'd buy anything they put out (even absolute tripe) and defend them as if I was defending my own personality then no, I don't have any favorite band like that anymore (besides my own, though I don't have to buy my own music!).