Your Favorite Band

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

having a favorite band is a pre-rapidshare,pre-blog topic.
no brainer -Manilla Road for a good 15 years now
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
Moonchild

Post by Moonchild »

Maiden ALWAYS Maiden
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

I revealed mine in the initial post. In case it wasn't evident, it's MOTORHEAD. With Maiden and Sabbath on the next level of the pyramid.
Chafe

Post by Chafe »

It always have been, and I think it will always be IRON MAIDEN, to me their first seven full lenghts are PERFECTION.
Other favorites bands would be Judas Priest, Blind Guardian, Metallica, etc, etc, etc, there are a lot of bands that I like a lot, but no one is above Iron Maiden.
Keir

Post by Keir »

SCORPIONS

I think it is important to have a "favorite band", if only because people will always ask you who they are. Other bands and obsessions will come and go, but there has to be one band that you always fall back on. For a long time it was Iron Maiden, but lately I’ve found it hard to get excited about anything except the first few albums. Scorpions are a band I’ve never stopped loving since I first got into metal in 1987. Yes, I realize that means I need to ignore a bunch of crap albums from the 90s, but that still leaves 2 decades of pure awesome and their latest CD isn’t bad either.
Morbid Tapes

Post by Morbid Tapes »

DISCHARGE.

Ozzy-era Sabbath might be a close second.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Uh oh.. When thinking about a favourite band I came up quickly with a list of bands that have had great influence on me and which I always fall back to after long breaks and new discovers.

Mercyful Fate
Judas Priest
Thin Lizzy
Accept
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Manilla Road
Sabbrabells
Loudness
Running Wild
Manowar
Saint Vitus

But there's a lot more.. I can't really decide "the none to rule them all"
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Voivod, Venom & Rush all equal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

The Preachers
humus

Post by humus »

At any point in my personal musical history I had a favourite band. For the last 8 years, ever since I've got to know them, it has been Sabbat (Japan). Sometimes months pass that I don't listen to Sabbat, and I still think the Slayer debut will for ever remain unmatched when it comes to the best album ever. But seeing their carreer, and seeing how they shaped me and my musical preference, the vote is theirs. Not that it slides to silly teenage idolatry, but I have the utmost respect for them.
Zuul

Post by Zuul »

easily old Slayer
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

That question can't really be answered honestly, at least I can't. For all bands having put out a few records, there is some of the output that isn't all that good. I've had lots of favourite bands, but for the last fifteen years, I haven't been able to name one. There are a few that stick out though:

Ac/Dc with Bon Scott
Black Sabbath before 1983
Pagan Altar
Slauter Xstroyes
Manilla Road
Solstice
Gentle Giant
Iron Maiden's first three records
Judas Priest in the 70s
Cirith Ungol
Jethro Tull in the 70s
Monster Magnet in the 90s (yes, I do!)
We in the 90s and early this decade

and the Lamp of Thoth are getting there. Possibly I forgot to mention a few too. It's more favourite records with me. I made a list a couple of weeks ago and made it to about 100 records which are better than the rest.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Zuul wrote:easily old Slayer
Only part of a band is your favourite band? That doesn't make any sense. For a band to be your true favourite you have to take into account the piles of crap they released.
GJ

Post by GJ »

My history of single fave bands:

197?-1983 - Kiss (sort of)
1983-1988 - Iron Maiden (except for one day when Exciter's Sudden Impact ruled), runner up's including Judas Priest and Tokyo Blade...
1988-91 - Fates Warning, runner up's as mentioned above (- TB) adding IM, Manilla Road, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull... then Fates Warning screwed up...
1991- now - None

Is the age of nineteen a common one of ultimately leaving your single fave band days behind?
rictusgrin666

Post by rictusgrin666 »

Has to be Metallica for me. They were the first real hard hit, and despite chasing that high over the last couple of decades, I've never got there with anything else.

Though, live, it might possibly be Maiden.
You want it to be one way. But it's the other way.