United

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
deathcape

United

Post by deathcape »

Just wanted to say I'm a big United fan. Especially with Masaki's influence before he left the band. And the review, which pointed here to this forum, is spot on with the turn United took (for the worst).

I guess it's all to blame on the production behind it, which at some point in 1987 was out of the hands of the band. It eventually led to the departure of Tetsuo & Masaki. Masaki who I believe was rather forced, leaving only Yokoyama as the oldest member. I think the change was noticable with the 'Demo '89' and especially with 'Bloody But Unbowed' which was a big slap in the face for the older fans who weren't used to this sound.

It's funny the review mentioned this band was driven by melodies and not reaching into punk territory. Both Tetsuo and Masaki were big punk fans and it led to them joining forces with Casbah to create 'Meat Head' in which they could play a faster more punk style. Masaki at one point played with MINO-5 in March, 1987.

I get alot of joy from live United shows from that time, and their indies time is definately the best period of the band, and I do wish that the band had never taken that turn. Bad move killing off Marchan.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Thanx for the background info. And welcome to the forum!

Do you know if any other recordings exist from the "Destroy Metal"-period? Would be great to hear. I seem to remember seeing them on an old compilation or 2..
deathcape

Post by deathcape »

The only omnibus that was released after Destroy Metal was 'Devil Must Be Driven Out With Devil' in early 1986. NAO left the band shortly after that (They later inserted a sample from 'Positive War' from that LP into 'Holy Dive Screamer' on their next EP). Both songs on it were part of United setlists in 1985 live shows. 'Bite Yourself' even in early 1984, so those are definately Destroy Metal era.

The release of 'Suck Your Bone' on Emergency Express in 1989 was raw and ugly as we all know United now from 'Bloody But Unbowed.'

Other than that, the only thing that comes close to CD quality melodic (screaming) madness courtesy of Furui, is a live Soundboard from 1986.9.25 where both Destroy Metal and Beast Dominate tracks are played.

Overall their live sets were far more interesting in that period (84-88) anyway. They used to cover Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, S.O.D., The Faction, Judas Priest, Anthrax etc. It's too bad that they only got 9 studio tracks out on vinyl in a span of almost 8 years with the talent they had.
Last edited by deathcape on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jman

Post by jman »

not to hijack this thread but I have a double of "devil must be driven out with devil" w/obi for trade.
deathcape

Post by deathcape »

If it's the LP, i'd really want it. Anything you are looking for? I don't have too much vinyl in my possession. I have Shellshock's Mortal Days I don't need, or some X-Ray. Most of the stuff are EP's.
jman

Post by jman »

pm'ed!