Doomy Trad-Metal US Bands

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
nightsblood

Doomy Trad-Metal US Bands

Post by nightsblood »

I've always liked this particular style and US bands seemed particularly good at it in the early-mid 80s. The combination of doomy, apocalyptic aura with some power to keep things from getting boring often strikes the right note with me. That said, I don't have all that many releases that fall in this category, so i figured it was time to start a new thread to see what I've missed. A few I know and like to get the ball rolling:

Tyrant- legions of the dead
Child Saint- 12" 9MA lists a live CD by them, anyone have any info on this one?)
Cirith Ungol- all
Manilla Road- especially Crystal Logic & Open the Gates
War Cry- Trilogy of terror demo
Czar- iron curtain 7"
Metal Massacre 4- several bands on there
Stygian Shore

For this thread, let's stay away from true doom bands like Saint Vitus (Trouble would be on the border line).
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Coven - Worship New Gods!
Without evil there could be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Nice thread, let's see how many of them can we mention.
Tyrant- legions of the dead
Why not "Too late to pray" too? It even darker, heavier and equally powerful. The doom feeling is everywhere (and you have to blame Glen May's lyrics for that too) and tracks like "Valley of death", "Babylon" and "Beginning of the end" fit the description perfectly.

HADES (US) - The Cross 7". Well, not for both sides, but surely for "The Cross" which is a masterpiece with an unbelievable Alan Tecchio on vox.

Both of LESTER MADDOX's controversial albums.

DRUID 7" + LP, i personally don't like them much though
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

While bands like COVEN, DWARR, THE MEZMERIST, LESTER MADDOX etc are very doomy at times, they're as far away from "traditional" as you'd get and thus a subject for a different thread, so my vote for #1 US Trad. Metal/Doom-crossover act goes too....

*drumroll*

..KILLEN!

That album simply destroys. So dark, so haunting, so raw, and still very classick US Metal. Makes TYRANT sound like Winger :P
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

WHAT?????? AAAAAAAAARGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Taist of Iron - Resurrection
Maltese Falcon - Metal Rush
Wyzard - Knights of Metal
Brocas Helm - Into Battle

they should fit in, as well.
There are of corse also many dark and doomy Metal bands from Europe, like Witchfinder General or Future Tense.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote: Maltese Falcon - Metal Rush
Actually, a danish band.

Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

DaN wrote:*drumroll*

..KILLEN!

That album simply destroys. So dark, so haunting, so raw, and still very classick US Metal. Makes TYRANT sound like Winger :P
I don't want to sound offensive or rude Dan but i really hope you're jokin' now..........
Last edited by Witchkiller on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
anthares

Post by anthares »

Image mlp and resurrection lp
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

anthares wrote:Image mlp and resurrection lp
The Image mlp is awesome indeed!One of my ten fav obscurities!Scarlet Demons,The Raven and Metal Masters KILL!
All i need is a lady
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Witchkiller wrote:

..KILLEN!

I don't want to sound offensive or rude Dan but i really hope you're jockin' now..........
Well, more like exaggerating & being a smartass. My point is they play quite similar music, while KILLEN tops TYRANT in the doom'n'darkness-dept. Both are great bands of course.

Edit: Good call w/ IMAGE. Definitely great and somewhat "doomish" shit!
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

DaN wrote:
Witchkiller wrote:

..KILLEN!

I don't want to sound offensive or rude Dan but i really hope you're jockin' now..........
Well, more like exaggerating & being a smartass. My point is they play quite similar music, while KILLEN tops TYRANT in the doom'n'darkness-dept. Both are great bands of course.
Haha,if you only knew that Killen is on my top 5 of my "i really hate" list....... :D
All i need is a lady
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I must second the opinions on IMAGE's EP. Amazing EP and a top US favorite obscurity for me as well. Only that i find their doomy elements to be more in the heavier 70's vein. The haunting vocals of David St.Clair add to the atmosphere.

Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Actually, a danish band
you´re right of course, but a good album nevertheless
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Great thread! I love this kind of metal but I don't know many bands that play it (the few I know were already mentioned) so I'm taking notes now.
I don't know if Black Death could be in the list. They're pretty much classic Heavy Metal, but songs like "The Hunger", "Black Death", "I've Been There" and "Breaking The Chains Of Hell" have a doomy thing going on.