NOCTURNUS

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

NOCTURNUS

Post by DaN »

I played "The Key" for the first time in ages the other day and remembered why I was such a fan of the band back in the early 90's. NOCTURNUS were one of those bands who fell through the cracks of the genres. Too sophisticated for many Death Metal fans, too brutal for the Power/Epic/Prog Metal crowd. I still think this album was one of the best and most interesting Metal albums of the 90's. Godly songs like "Neolithic", "Standing In Blood", "Lake of Fire" etc should be mandatory listening for anyone calling themselves a Metal fan.

If anyone are having trouble w/ the keyboards they should still check out the 1st demo from 86/87. There's some really fantastic, evil & melodic riffing in there.

Any more NOCTURNUS-fans out there?
Keir

Post by Keir »

I first heard Nocturnus when I saw them open for Napalm Death way back in '91, I think. I was really impressed and immediately bought The Key which quickly became one of my favorite death metal albums. The follow-up was good too. More technical and better produced, which actually made me like it a little less then the debut, but I thought for sure it would be their breakthrough. Oh well. I can't say I still listen to them (mellowed out with old age, I guess) but I still appreciate them as a bit of an underrated gem.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I believe the They Key is a pioneering death metal album and the best of their 2 first albums. I don't know why but i found Thresholds to be a class lower than their debut but i do know people who prefer the 2nd album. Atmospheric and technical brutal metal, an oasis for the tired death metal ears. It's not as technical as the ATHEIST's LPs but it's more evil and more atmosperic. The answer to those who believe that death metal is played only by stupid, naive amd filthy people.
NWN PROD

Post by NWN PROD »

I like their demos a lot more.
NUCLEAR WAR NOW! PROD.
Home page: http://nwnprod.com/
Store: http://nwnprod.com/catalog/
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I think the album is great, as well as the demo tape I still have somewhere in this room. I remeber theu played live here in Mexico City by 1991, I'm not sure. It was great, almost as great as the Morbid Abgel show :D
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

The Key and Thresholds are masterpieces.
Nocturnus was the 1st death metal band to include massive keyboards line in their stuff. They were pioneers.

I've listened to their reunion album "Ethereal Tomb", it's good but doesn't reach the level of two first.

I saw them live in Belgium in 1991 with Unleashed and the mighty Bolt Thrower, it was a killer show despite the sound wasn't that good ...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

"The Science Of Horror" demo is cool, but I think it's one of those recordings that improved in a real studio. The versions on "The Key" are superior to my ears. NOCTURNUS' sound deserve a clear, "professional" production.

I have a rehearsal tape somewhere w/ the 4 songs from the debut demo + 4 or 5 unreleased songs and they're all killer! Especially the song "Contract in blood", which has one of the heaviest lead riffs I've ever heard in early DM. Trouble is my copy is pretty crappy. Anyone else who might have this recording? I can check the exact date this weekend. I'm pretty sure it's from '86 though.

And yes, I'm in total envy of you bastards who got to see them live :evil:
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

I love the demos and "The Key" & "Thresholds". "The Key" is of course the superior one of the two, but I think "Thresholds" holds up pretty decently. "Arctic Crypt" sounds like something the Gothenburg melo-death bands would churn out in later years, but it actually remains completely heterosexual throughout.

Hey, anybody wanting to mp3 that tape with unreleased tracks...? :lol:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Hey, anybody wanting to mp3 that tape with unreleased tracks...?
If noone steps up w/ a superior copy, I'll listen throught the tape and see if I can wield my magic CoolEdit wand over it. Perhaps it's time to add an mp3 forum to this board? Any witty, classic album title header suggestions?
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

There's a classic metal song I used to wail along to that has a perfectly apt title. I just fucking forget what it is. :( It's "Revelations of...(something)".

Revelations of Steel?
Revelations of Death?

Goddammit...
Fatal Exposure

Post by Fatal Exposure »

"The Key" is a fantastic death metal record. One of my favorites definetly. It's better than the demos and its precedor. "Etheral Tomb" had a couple good songs but overall it pales in comparison to the older material. It doesnt have the same freshness, it isnt as frantic and pummeling as "The Key" was or as technical and scattered as "Thresholds" was. Nocturnus captured a much more evil atmosphere then most of their Floridian counterparts. Wonderful band.
Junkyard Barbarian

Post by Junkyard Barbarian »

I personally really enjoy the first album. Never heard the second though, same for the demos. I would definetaly like to listen to that stuff, of course.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Time to revive this one. Of the bands that were delving into Sitchin's interpretation of Ur's clay tablets, they were the probably the most prolific and true to the source. I played them rarely but when I do I do that with reverential devotion. Love 'em both to death. Zi Dingir Kia Kampa, haha.
I am ... the One you warned me of
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Looks like I've thrown/given away that old tape w/ the rehearsal :(
..but he sound was crap anyway, so there MUST be some old tape traders here with a better copy. Come out, come out wherever you are!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

'Thresholds' was much better IMO! Loved the science-fiction influence...

The 7" they released on Moribund was excellent as well!