The WORST albums released by a thrash band?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Ernest Thesiger

Re: The WORST albums released by a thrash band?

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

ION BRITTON wrote:I always skip Feeling Free Again whenever i listen to Crystal Logic.
I don't. It's sort of out of character for the album, but it has me smiling. "Woo!"
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Generally I don't like thrash too much, so I'll skip some genre defining albums and focus on an album (supposedly) in my comfort zone.
Wrath-Nothing to fear
Considered a classic by many, but I think the vox are unbearable. I prefer the debut much much more .
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Inspired by the discussion in this thread I gave Nothing To Fear one more chance a few days ago. I just couldn't finish it. The vocals are some of the worst ever. Ball-less and irritating all the time. I cannot even classify them as love-it-or-hate-it style, meaning I can't understand in what way someone may find them good enough or even -god forbid- killer. Musically, it wasn't very interesting either, but still not as bad as the vocals.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

You guys are nuts. That Wrath album is a stone classic.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I'm sure another 10 guys will pop up now claiming that it's possibly the best thrash album ever. And then you'll have to excuse me, while I get the scissors to cut both my fucking ears...

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I really need to check out the Wrathchild America album again. Found it lame when it came out, but in later years, practically every single old Wrathchild demo song that has turned up on various comps (there were a few..) has been great!

..But to steer the thread back on topic: XYSTER's "In Good Faith" has got to be one of the best examples of Frigging Awesome Old Demos*!/Bloody Awful Debut Album in Metal history. What - the - fuck happened with that band???
A TED HEATH/XYSTER demo DLP is in my top-3 reissue wish list for sure...

*='old demos' does not include the equally awful "Black Bible" tape mind you..
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Priamos wrote:Generally I don't like thrash too much, so I'll skip some genre defining albums and focus on an album (supposedly) in my comfort zone.
Wrath-Nothing to fear
Considered a classic by many, but I think the vox are unbearable. I prefer the debut much much more .
ION BRITTON wrote:Inspired by the discussion in this thread I gave Nothing To Fear one more chance a few days ago. I just couldn't finish it. The vocals are some of the worst ever. Ball-less and irritating all the time. I cannot even classify them as love-it-or-hate-it style, meaning I can't understand in what way someone may find them good enough or even -god forbid- killer. Musically, it wasn't very interesting either, but still not as bad as the vocals.
I'm guessing you guys also hate the first Iced Earth album as well...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Don't touch "Iced Earth"!!! :evil:
First of all, it isn't Thrash but Power Metal and second, it's a fucking classic! The best album they've ever released!!!!

And there's no need to check out "Climbing the walls" again, it doesn't reach the demo tracks at all!
Demos = bonecrushing classic Speed/Power Metal
CTW = slightly modern Power/Thrash with awful vocal parts

As for Wrath, yes, I've all 3 of their albums but it's impossible to listen to the whole LP. Just as IonBritton said, the vocals do suck and also their style is kinda annoying in places. But they are still MUCH better than:
Headcrasher - Introspection
Brainwash - Watch the bleeding mouth
Creeping Death - Errare Humanum Est
Airdash - Hospital hallucinations take one
Brutal Obscenity - It's because of the birds and flowers
Decadence - Gangs and victims
M.T.A. - The record
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Avenger wrote: I'm guessing you guys also hate the first Iced Earth album as well...
You are not too far from the truth here...Bought this immediately after its release, due to a very favorable review from greek Metal Hammer but i was utterly dissapointed! I liked the next ones much more but generally I never shared the greek Iced Earth-mania.
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

It's really hard doing generic US Powerthrash worth a listen, but WRATH pulls it off quite well during their 2 first albums imo. It's "Insane Society" that's the real stinker :evil:
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Prowler wrote:Don't touch "Iced Earth"!!! :evil:
First of all, it isn't Thrash but Power Metal and second, it's a fucking classic! The best album they've ever released!!!!
The vocal style on "Nothing To Fear" and the first Iced Earth are very similar. It has nothing to do with the music.

I thought that comparison was quite obvious.

I personally don't mind the vocals at all but then again I can't stand Death Metal with gargling shards of glass vocals so to each their own.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

What a lovely heated debate here. More! More!

@Prowler: you meant Braindamage - Watching the Bleeding Mouth
Avenger wrote: I personally don't mind the vocals at all but then again I can't stand Death Metal with gargling shards of glass vocals so to each their own.
:lol: can you be more specific :D
I am ... the One you warned me of
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I'm not very fond of the vocals on the Iced Earth debut, but I can tolerate them. On the other hand, the music is killer and the riffs are memorable enough, something which doesn't apply on any Wrath album for me. First 3 Iced Earth albums are 90's classics.

The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

The first two Iced Earth albums belong to the best stuff ever coming out of the US. Power Metal grenades.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

DaN wrote:the equally awful "Black Bible" tape
Wha?! It may have sounded thinner than the previous demos, but I still enjoy that one, even with the weakened vocals & sloppy fast parts. In Good Faith...? was so cruddily botched by that fella out of Ardkore though.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."