cool tech, experimental 80's bands that went unnoticed?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Noisenik

cool tech, experimental 80's bands that went unnoticed?

Post by Noisenik »

howdy peple!

i wonder which techno thrash, avant and experimental or generally weird bands (but not Metal Enterprises projects) you have encountered on your way through 80's, apart from those that were/are more known. those unvinyled are especially of interest.

For example, DaN turned me onto Dwarr, that i find very good. Through VOD I discovered Doom (Jpn), Coven(II.). I guess sth more must be there in the vast Metal cosmos ...

tnx for any info in advance
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I'd add the LESTER MADDOX debut LP, "Gothic Knights" from '86. A very unique and varied sound, not technical or thrashy, but sometimes doomy like BLACK HOLE, sometimes groovy, mean & riff-oriented HR, mostly... strange? Personally I hold this album very high. If you enjoy DWARR, DOOM and COVEN you'll love this one.

On the technical/original thrash-subject I cannot recommend Swedes OMNITRON and their "Masterpeace" album enough. Powerthrash which is both traditional and highly original at the same time. They're bloody hard to explain really. The songwriting in just top-notch and very original.

Great subject!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

DaN wrote:I'd add the LESTER MADDOX debut LP, "Gothic Knights" from '86. A very unique and varied sound, not technical or thrashy, but sometimes doomy like BLACK HOLE, sometimes groovy, mean & riff-oriented HR, mostly... strange? Personally I hold this album very high. If you enjoy DWARR, DOOM and COVEN you'll love this one.

On the technical/original thrash-subject I cannot recommend Swedes OMNITRON and their "Masterpeace" album enough. Powerthrash which is both traditional and highly original at the same time. They're bloody hard to explain really. The songwriting in just top-notch and very original.

Great subject!
The fact is that i like a lot LESTER MADDOX but when they noticed that some of my friends laughted and say that LESTER MADDOX is utter childish band.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

tnx DaN

Lester Maddox sound interesting judging by VOD streams. On Forgotten Steel they are compared to Brocas Helm, Manilla Road, Legend, Ashbury and Ritual UK. Last two are mystery to me. Cannot judge, yet ... "Egypt (The Chains Are Off)" sounds quite massive. "In the Heat of the Night", too. Like they are gaining selfconsciousness as the album progresses.

100€ ... mmm, I think i will contact Steve anytime soon.

Promising band, but they didn't continue, didn't they?

Omnitron I have on vinyl and I'd say they are very close to the top. Again only one album on their account, if we connive at Comecon and Krixhjaelters.

Brave addition of sax, and yeah, I just wish I could get on stage in tuxedo with tie, playing killer metal stuffs :D
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

The fact is that i like a lot LESTER MADDOX but when they noticed that some of my friends laughted and say that LESTER MADDOX is utter childish band.
If you like it then I really don't see any problem here. I mean you surely know what you like. so ... De gustibus non est disputandum. Period.

i'm listening to it for 2nd time now, and it's starting to grip.

Hey, could this be recorded in 70's? guitars sound 80's or ... is it low kbps rip of the stream? "Starchild" has NWOBHM stylings.

MetalPage sez:

Einiges ist über diese Platte schon berichtet worden. Im Großen und Ganzen war das Gesagte auch recht positiv. Ich versuche jetzt einmal meine Meinung zu "Gothic Lore" zu sagen. Ich war maßlos enttäuscht, als ich diese Platte zum ersten Mal gehört habe. Ich habe Epic Metal a la MANILLA ROAD erwartet und was bekomme ich zu hören? Schraddel Hard Rock, der mit Metal a.b.s.o.l.u.t. nichts zu tun hat! Nach mehrmaligem Hören wird die Platte aber ganz reizvoll, da die meisten Songs doch recht episch sind (halt kein Metal!). So kann man sich "Egypt", "Starchild", "Fairy Tales" oder "White Power" gut anhören, wenn man sich damit abgefunden hat, kein Metal Highlight zu besitzen. Musikalisch wäre also alles wichtige gesagt. Metal Maniacs bitte mit vorsicht genießen, Hard Rock Fans können wenig falsch machen. Zu bewundern gibt es außerdem noch ein mega kindisches „malen-nach-zahlen“ Cover, das Seinesgleichen echt sucht!!!
(Andreas Müller)

Whether Hard Rock or Epic Metal, i think it's very cool.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Metalpage wrote:Schraddel Hard Rock, der mit Metal a.b.s.o.l.u.t. nichts zu tun hat!
The Metalpage is generally awesome, but I've always found this line to be the most stupid thing ever written on the site :evil:
LESTER MADDOX is utter childish band
With friends like these.. eh? I find them the absolute opposite - "Highbrow" is a more fitting description, but perhaps that's not a compliment when it comes to Metal?

LM's live album (all new exclusive material) from '88 is a disappointment. Very (sub)standard HR - no magic :(
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

WYXMER: the Syre Of... IMO a great fucking band. I really love that EP, very obscure sounding with a climax on the last track: a great shred solo..

How many copies of these are pressed: 300 or 3000? I see a lot of them offered last year. Someone found a box of these?
Long Live The Loud !!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Sentinel wrote:WYXMER: the Syre Of... IMO a great fucking band. I really love that EP, very obscure sounding with a climax on the last track: a great shred solo..
Yeah, I like this one a lot, esp "Steed & Cavalier". Opinions on their come-back album on Black Widow seem to differ.
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

Fucking Åmål wrote:
DaN wrote:I'd add the LESTER MADDOX debut LP, "Gothic Knights" from '86. A very unique and varied sound, not technical or thrashy, but sometimes doomy like BLACK HOLE, sometimes groovy, mean & riff-oriented HR, mostly... strange? Personally I hold this album very high. If you enjoy DWARR, DOOM and COVEN you'll love this one.

Great subject!
What do your friends listen to then, I'm sure a few of their favorite bands are laughable as well.
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Re: cool tech, experimental 80's bands that went unnoticed?

Post by OmenOfSteel »

Noisenik wrote:howdy peple!
i wonder which techno thrash, avant and experimental or generally weird bands (but not Metal Enterprises projects) you have encountered on your way through 80's, apart from those that were/are more known. those unvinyled are especially of interest.
Did you check out OSIRIS from finland? I like them a lot!
Others that come to mind are TARGET (Bel), LAST REMAINS (USA, Demo-only), MEGORA (SUI - I never got into their sound though), METAL AXE (GER - Demo only) and maybe SKARAMASAX from Czech Republic. Those are all technical Speed or Thrash Bands.
If you are looking for something weird, try MAPLE CROSS from Finland.
Unusual are THE CRISIS, a band from Nepal that got bootlegged in Brazil a few years ago on vinyl. Strange but appealing.
We praise the blood that metal brings
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

WYXMER: the Syre Of... IMO a great fucking band. I really love that EP, very obscure sounding with a climax on the last track: a great shred solo..
is that one very rare? heck, I think I saw them around, but cannot remember which title.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Whoa! Roman, tnx, you really rule!

Unusual are THE CRISIS, a band from Nepal that got bootlegged in Brazil a few years ago on vinyl. Strange but appealing.
this exists? :shock: :shock: :shock:
never ever heard. is this old stuff? or newer? very unusual? you sell it? can reserve? :D

Osiris I have on clear vinyl, damn fine stuff - but only one release :cry: . I seek CD - it has a bonus track; and demo. Target and Maple Cross I know - they are both on my list. I had listened to Megora CD once, way back when, but they didn't fit my ears. Wonder what would happen today ...

The rest I know nothing about or only by name (Skaramasax). These must be hella difficult to obtain.

Btw. could Spectral Incursion fit to this topic? I'd count 'em to the post-Energetic Disassembly form of sound, yet again, they haven't find enough will or patience to continue and develop ...

if we prolong our interest into early 90's, I think Tossic were quite out, ... and a little question. I read on M-A: Nephastus are reportedly prog-thrash. As they are from Brasil, it sounds quite incredible. Can sb confirm or deny that?

P.S.: hope corroseum users don't find me bothering. i have zillion questions. just wait we come to demo-only bands.
Junkyard Barbarian

Post by Junkyard Barbarian »

is Spectral Incursion the Australlian band who were once known as Incubus??
Self improvement is masturbation. Now self destruction...
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Yes, Target and The first Anacrusis are great

Blind Illusion: The Sane Asylum: also some kind of weird thrash but incredible good IMO

The Mezmerist EP: I would kill for an original, really, what a great music this is. Can someone tell me which country they from? I guess USA, am I right?
Long Live The Loud !!!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

BLIND ILLUSION album is incredible !!

Other great bands in the genre : F.U.C.T., COUP DE GRACE and STYGIAN.

Try JESTER BEAST from Italy, the "Poetical Freakscream" album is a must !!