Favorite Judas Priest Album?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

What is your favorite Judas Priest album?

Rocka Rolla (1974)
2%
Sad Wings Of Destiny (1976)
27%
Sin After Sin (1977)
6%
Stained Class (1978)
13%
Killing Machine / Hell Bent For Leather (1978)
5%
British Steel (1980)
2%
Point Of Entry (1981)
No votes
Screaming For Vengeance (1982)
6%
Defenders Of The Faith (1984)
14%
Turbo (1986)
No votes
Ram It Down (1988)
2%
Painkiller (1990)
25%

Total votes: 64

mordred

Post by mordred »

ION BRITTON wrote:Ripper is God. I think he is not only the best there is today, but quite possibly one the greatest ever. The dude can do whatever he wants with his voice.

Man, i just remember his performance at the monumental Hear of a killer and a slight shiver went down my spine...
He sure is not only the best there is today, but also one of the best there ever was.

"Heart of a Killer" is great, but his best performance in my opinion is on "The Glorious Burden" and the closing 'Gettysburgh'-trilogy in particular. "High Water Mark" sends shivers down my spine every time.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Well, what can be said about Priest. Maybe the most important band there is. My favourite album by them is Sad Wings Of Destiny closely followed by Painkiller. Sad Wings Of Destiny has so much feeling and everything is just perfect on that album. Already released in the mid 70's, no one can deny its importance to heavy metal. An album that is so overwhelming that I can't find more words to describe its greatness.
Long Live The Loud !!!
GJ

Post by GJ »

I voted for Stained Class. There's something unsettling about the songs on this album which I cannot put my finger on. Great moody stuff. Favorite song - Saints in Hell.

Second would be Sad Wings of Destiny followed by Sin After Sin... I kind of like this non-metallic production. Not sure if it would fit on Screaming for Vengeance or Defenders of the Faith though... Painkiller is definitely too much metallic-sounding (as in cold sounding) for my ears. Never liked the drum sound on that one. Still great songs and a great album.

As for the downside. Ram it down is one album I can't stand - I never bothered listen to the Ripper era albums so I can't really judge them fairly. Not my cup of tea, I guess. If I want angry music I rather listen to The Exploited, Razor or Depression (great Aussie HC featured on some sampler I got - "Apathy Never") not Pantera or stuff influenced thereof...
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I'd have to say Painkiller, followed by Defenders of the faith, followed by Stained class! Why? Just listen to them!!
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

mordred wrote:Painkiller is the best album in the world, ever, in my opinion so for me it's an easy call to make. It's simply the perfect heavy metal album and I don't think I will ever come across an album that can really challenge it.
Thundersteel. Predates, challenges, beats.

My 5 favourite Priests:
Sad Wings Of Destiny
Killing Machine
Sin After Sin
Stained Class
Rocka Rolla
Helm

Post by Helm »

The thing with Painkiller is that the production by Chris Tsagaridis really hurts it for me. Too plastic, too hot. Digital reverb everywhere and gated snares and over the top keyboard orchestras muddle up the songs (even supreme cuts like Touch of Evil), Halford gave us his best 'shrill' performance on this record and EVERY song is full of hooks (here Tsagaridis helped, obviously)... but the only song in there that emotionally has something to say to me is Touch of Evil. The rest is one metal cliche one after the other. Metal beast on superbike descends from the sky to take away our... pain? Nightcrawler is musically one of my favorite songs in there and it's about what? ... a demonic baddie, who cares?

My favorite record by Priest is Sad Wings of Destiny, thus. The songs in it actually resonate something in me most of the time, Victim of Changes and Dreamer/Deceiver most of all. Even 'Ripper' which seems totally superficial at first has some strange... essence, about it. Priest had one or two songs that were REAL on every record from there and on, but on the whole I'd say Sad Wings is their most poignant release, at a time when they were not yet 'Metal Gods' and therefore not kitsch. The amazing beauty of the cover, from concept to execution tells us a lot about the difference between 70's priest and 80's priest. At some point mister Halford decided to be embody 'heavy metal' and from there and on he became a walking leathery cliche. I can still appreciate some of their music but as I said, I must feel that it's also for real, not just skullcrushing.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Helm wrote:The thing with Painkiller is that the production by Chris Tsagaridis really hurts it for me. Too plastic, too hot. Digital reverb everywhere and gated snares and over the top keyboard orchestras muddle up the songs (even supreme cuts like Touch of Evil)
Yeah, although Chris did a good job on some albums, on classics like Painkiller and Chinatown he isn't on par with his best work.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Black Axe wrote:
Helm wrote:The thing with Painkiller is that the production by Chris Tsagaridis really hurts it for me. Too plastic, too hot. Digital reverb everywhere and gated snares and over the top keyboard orchestras muddle up the songs (even supreme cuts like Touch of Evil)
Yeah, although Chris did a good job on some albums, on classics like Painkiller and Chinatown he isn't on par with his best work.
I'm with you on that Helm. Painkiller is excellent, but the production is a little off for me. Also, I don't find the songs to be quite as great as most of their 70s output.

I chose Sad Wings of Destiny here because I feel it's probably the most strongly dynamic album I have ever heard. Always forward-thinking and with Rob doing amazing vocals. Five songs from here would probably make my top ten Priest song list.

I regretted voting Sad Wings.. a little when I saw the results though. No votes for Sin After Sin?!?! :shock: I mean, that's a fantastic album as well with only strong songs and a great general sound. In all, Priest's 70s albums are amazing, apart from Rockarolla which is too uneven.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Okay, it looks like i'm gonna be the only one voting for this one, but what the hell, "Rocka Rolla", gets my vote.
Probably just because it was the first of their albums i got and although it took me a while to appreciate it, i come back to it more than any of the others.
It's a fascinating record because of the range (and age) of the material, there are subtle moods and moments which show the way the band would progress towards their more bombastic familiar sound.
You just can't argue with a fantastic song, and although it's an uneven record, there are some overlooked gems amongst the tracks here.
The whole "Winter" "suite" takes us on a real musical journey, the slightly hamfisted production adding to the desolate feel of the song.
"Never Satisfied" is probably the most Priest-like song on the record, it's here where they stumble across all the facets which constitute the classic Priest sound which they would later expand upon. It's fascinating to here it here in embryonic form.
My favourite however is the lengthy down beat "Run Of The Mill", this one has real density and atmosphere by the bucketload. As Helm was saying earlier, this is one of those rare ones which resonates with me emotionally with real power. It also gives the players a chance to really stretch out and explore their sound and stretch their abilities. A fascinating taste of progressive Priest.
They recorded far more consistent records which contained far more classic songs, but this is the one i always come back to.
If you haven't played it for a while try digging it out and giving it a spin, you might see some new light through these old windows.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Helm & kit- very nice posts!

My list, best to worst, w/ some quick thoughts.

Sad Wings of Destiny. It's held up the best over time for me, contains numerous great tracks, and has a killer atmosphere/resonance to it

Painkiller- It may be full of metal cliches, but it's an atypical album in the 'Priest catalog in being so over the top. I actually don't mind the production; it may not be great technically, but it reflects and amplifies the frantic, pummelling energy of the tunes.

Defenders of the Faith- the definitive 'prime era' 'Priest album IMO

Hell bent for Leather- While I rarely play it any more, it's the album that marks their transition from the atmospheric hard rock albums of the 70s to the chain's and leather sound of the 80s. and it contains some absolute killers like the title track and 'Green Manalishi'.

Next few are hard to sort out:
SfV is still 'Priest at the 80s-best, but whenever I'm in the mood for this era I play Defenders otF instead.

'Turbo' may have been a misguided attempt at capturing the MTV market, but it still has some good moments such as the building, anthemic title track, the great rocking 'Out in the Cold', etc. Far from perfect, but better than many people give it credit for.

Rocka Rolla- while I like it, I rarely play it. Does have very cool 'moods' to it.

Brittish Steel- other than the big hits, I never got into this album a lot.

Sin After Sin- Has some classics, but the album doesn't flow very well and has some filler.

Stained Class- I never really got into this album. After the opening classic of 'Exciter' I just don't like the songs, except of course the brilliant 'Beyond the Walls of Death'.

Ram It Down- still manages to have 3-4 good tracks, but the rest is Painkiller sans all the power and energy.

Point of Entry- A couple of good tunes; not one I ever heard much.

Jugulator- Other than 'Cathederal Spires' the songwriiting just isn't there. Some blame Owens, but I think the band was slipping into a songwriting funk. I saw 'em twice (back to back nights in west Texas) on this tour and they completely kicked my ass- Owens OWNED the stage. The Lubbock show was probably the 2nd best concert I've ever been to- great performance and the crowd was wild, from the 7-ft, 350 lb behemoth lumbering through the crowd to the hot metal chicks teasing Owens from the edge of the stage all night to the 2 drunk dykes that kept elbowing people until we picked them up and dumped them over the security railing :)

Demolition- 1 good song, 'Hell is Here', and the rest is pretty bad. Again, the songwriting is just bad, so the poor rating is not due to Owens' performance (and kudos to whoever remembered to mentioned the great 'Heart of a Killer' album).

Angel of Retribution- Proof positive that the band just couldn't write good songs anymore. An awful album IMO. I haven't heard Nostradamus, but I'm pretty much convinced that 'Priest ran out of steam in the mid 80s and, with the big exception of Painkiller, has been churning out substandard albums for the last 20 years.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

"Run of the mill" must be one of my 10 favorite Judas Priest tracks, the climax at the end of the song is shattering and full of emotion, there are times i'm wondering if they were really on a sober state when they were writing it. Great call, bigfootkit!

The title track of Rocka Rolla crushes, but i think the rest of the material is pretty average and lacks some personality. Those two are hands down 10/10 tracks for me though!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
In The Raw

Post by In The Raw »

I went with "Painkiller" because I just dig all the balls-out aggression on it. I always love it when an older band shows the younger bands there is still some life in the old dogs. PRIEST had a few years under their belts in 1990 but they delivered the heaviest album of their career.

After that, the PRIEST I love most is the 70's work. I think "Sad Wings" is a masterpiece with "Stained Class" not far behind. Its also nice to see "Rocka Rolla" get some love from bigfootkit - I'm a huge 70's hard rock fan and this is a good record that always gets overlooked.

I like the 80's "classics" too - but a lot of those albums are uneven - for every "Electric Eye" and "Riding On The Wind" there is a "Some Heads Are Gonna Roll" or a "Fever". I'm also not all that fond of the production on those records. And I'll take Les Binks or the godly Simon Phillips over Dave Holland any day.

I also saw PRIEST with Ripper on the "Jugulator" tour and I have to say it was a great show. Ripper is a first class front man with a stellar voice AND a truly nice guy. The audience really connected with him. It was an interesting contrast to when I saw MAIDEN with Blaze - the poor guy was actually getting some serious verbal abuse from the audience.
"On your feet, or on your knees"
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I voted for "Sad Wings of Destiny" but "Sin after Sin" comes very close.
I love the special atmosphere of "Sad Wings" and it contains the timeless classic "Victims of Changes".

I also like a lot "British Steel" which is one of the first heavy-metal record I've bought.

The new one "Nostradamus" is excellent. I was deceived at first listen but now I listen to it almost daily. Halford is incredible on this one.

My top- 5

01 - Sad Wings of Destiny
02 - Sin after Sin
03 - British Steel
04 - Nostradamus
05 - Defenders of the Faith
mordred

Post by mordred »

I really think that nightsblood, Helm and all others should check out Nostradamus if you haven't already.

First off, the album sounds nothing like Angel of Retribution, and the quality of the songs on Nostradamus stands head and shoulders above AOR in my opinion.

Secondly, Nostradamus is definetely the most "emotionally heavy" Judas Priest album since the 70's. Songs like "Pestilence and Plague", "Revelation", "Death", "Visions" and "Conquest" are simply breathtaking.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

There are some great songs on Nostradamus, but half the songs aren't that good. The best songs are better than AOR, but the worst are useless filler.