Some Obscure NWOBHM demos

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

DMR wrote:Has anyone ever heard the demos by Mournblade and Golgotha? I really like their records (Time's Running Out and Dangerous Games), so I was wondering what their demos were like.
Didn't see this until now. I have a 2-song Golgotha demo, w/ not too good sound I'm afraid. I think the songs are a bit more Metal/less prog than the EP. I still like the EP more though.
boris

Post by boris »

I have original demos by both. besides the 2 song demo by Golgotha there is a 4 song ( i think) demo called After the Curfew, that's what I have.
Mournblade I don't remember the title but it has skulls on the insert.

Sanctus - this one a great short lived band, led by San Remo after the brakeup of Marquis De Sade. unlike what it says on Metal Archives they did 2 demos, both great. I have information that they did a lot of recording, but broke up very quickly, not gigging much. The music is like a much better Marquis De Sade.
Last edited by boris on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boris

Post by boris »

by the way, regarding Sanctus, you can get their first demo here http://nwobhmblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/ ... -1982.html
Hellride Mike

Post by Hellride Mike »

Thanks!
boris

Post by boris »

Sorry for bumping this, but if anyone cares there's some new discoveries and corrections ...

Regarding Deep Machine - there is a 3 track demo from 1980 in circulation, I think it was available for download here as well. This is certainly NOT a demo from 1980, as the first demo was recorded in 1981 and had 4 tracks. none of the band members recalls this recording.

Apparently there was something called Raider who existed around 1983-5 and their drummer was Mark Grimmett (Steve's brother), who was earlier in Black Dog and later in Cry Wolf. all of these bands recorded some demos. I've never heard that stuff though.

The upload of the Burn demo reminded me how much demo-only bands were connected with Deep Machine - Burn, Strutt, Touchstone, Nevada Foxx, Bordello, KHZ, Minas Tirith (later Paul Dianno's Lone Wolf) and many more ...

there were also Destroya and Gandalf Wizardry which later merged into Shanghai Tyger ...

There are also loads of bands connected with Tigertailz such as Treason, Tranzzam, China Rogue, Crash KO ...

and there's loads more !
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

2 Tranzzam demos are available on bigfootkit's blog; just added in recent weeks
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Sorry for bumping this (again), but having recently heard the CRASH K.O. demo, I'd like to recommend it to, well just about anyone. Invasion/Metal-era Manilla Road vibe on the songs!
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Hey, what happened with Boris and his plans to take preorders and release ARC on cd? :)
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Haven't seen boris post in quite awhile

Khnud- sounds cool, any chance of posting at least part of it for folks to check out?
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

nightsblood wrote:Haven't seen boris post in quite awhile

Khnud- sounds cool, any chance of posting at least part of it for folks to check out?
They're already in Poisonoise, seek out the Treason post.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

bigfootkit wrote:
nightsblood wrote:Haven't seen boris post in quite awhile

They're already in Poisonoise, seek out the Treason post.
Thanks 'kit!
Sorry I haven't stopped by your blog lately, been on the go a lot lately
-Becky
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I know how it is Nightsblood, i've been busy with work/World Cup/life in general myself, so haven't posted anything at the blog for about 3-4 weeks anyway, so you haven't missed as much as you thought!
Hope life's treating you well.
As for CRASH K.O./TREASON, yep, great stuff without a doubt.
I got the two demos back in the day from the band's singer Stevie Denholm, (later of TIGERTAILZ & St. JAIMZ where he went under the alias of "STEEVIE JAIMZ"), as TREASON demos.
At some point the band changed their name (and personnel?), and the second tape was recirculated as a CRASH K.O. demo,.
Does anyone know if CRASH K.O. ever recorded any material before changing their style and becoming TIGERTAILZ?
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

SUNSET BLAZE haven't been mentioned yet, they did a great demo in 1983, in fact their only release at all.

Not typically New Wave-ish, street metal-style, but more traditinal sounding, but with great tracks like "Swaney Bean" and the exotic / atmospheric "Florence of Arabia". Check them out, must be available at the usual blogspots.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:SUNSET BLAZE haven't been mentioned yet, they did a great demo in 1983, in fact their only release at all.

Not typically New Wave-ish, street metal-style, but more traditinal sounding, but with great tracks like "Swaney Bean" and the exotic / atmospheric "Florence of Arabia". Check them out, must be available at the usual blogspots.
Bats In The Belfry is a NWOBHM classic. I love that demo.
lochinvar

Sanctus demos

Post by lochinvar »

Sanctus great "epic synthesizer heavy rock band" from nwobhm era. They were from South London.
Propably existing between 1982-1983 or maybe a year more.
Main person in this band was San Remo - ex member of Marquis de Sade. They officially made 2 demos on cassette format.
First was "Thy Disciples" (1982?) which contains 3 tracks:
- Creature From Vercenta,
- A King For A King,
- Welcome To The Graveyard.
Lyrics And Music by San Remo
San Remo - lead and backing vocals, lead and thythm guitars, synthesizer, organ/strings, tape effects, chanting
Colin Bradley - bass and backing vocals
Paul Orchard - drums
Tony Burke - Leigh - lead and rhythm guitars, backing vocals
Second was "Gates Of Sorrow" (1983?) which contains 3 tracks:
- Run For Cover,
- Gates Of Sorrow,
- Temple In The Sky.
Lyrics And Music by San Remo
San Remo - lead vocals, guitars, keyboards
Tony Burke - Leigh - vocals, lead guitars
Tony Newton - vocals, bass
Rick Burgess - drums
It was planned to release single "A Place In Heaven" on Vercenta Records in the end of 1983 (?).
Also was planned to release album (?) in early 1984 (?)

If any has more information about this great band please add.