The MANOWAR classics appreciation thread!

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Which one you like the most?

Battle Hymns
8%
Into Glory Ride
36%
Hail To England
32%
Sign Of The Hammer
24%

Total votes: 59

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Well it seems I've already voted last year, but never made a comment: "Sign Of The Hammer" hands down for me. I think it was the first album I heard with the band and it still stands out as the Ultimate MANOWAR-release to me. Bar "Animal" it's all masterpieces of proud, violent, Immortal Heavy Metal Anthems.

IGR seem to be a fave of plenty of folks, but as great an album as it is, it still only gets 4th or 5th place for me.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Jens wrote:It isn't, but I'll put Poison's Fallen Angel on after side B if that would make you happy.
Hahaha...

Make sure that it's cranked up loud enough that your neighbours hear.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Chafe

Post by Chafe »

ONWARD POUNDING INTO GLORY RIDE... SIGN OF THE HAMMER BE MY GUIDE!!!!!!

To me at least that's the best Manowar album, with songs like Sign of the Hammer, Thor, Mountains, The Oath, Guyana, you can't go wrong.
I'll put in second place the BATTLE HYMNS album, specially for the song BATTLE HYMN.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I'm a bit surprised to see the even distribution of votes among the albums here. Always got the impression before that Hail to England was the one gaining the most praise. Anyway, these four albums make up one of the best suites of releases by any band ever, and I do include the debut here.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

must've missed this poll so far.. but:
Sgt. Kuntz wrote:"Hail to England" my favorite any time, any place.
strongly seconded. one of my all time faves, overall.
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Jens

Post by Jens »

Avenger wrote:
Jens wrote:It isn't, but I'll put Poison's Fallen Angel on after side B if that would make you happy.
Hahaha...

Make sure that it's cranked up loud enough that your neighbours hear.
I'll make sure they see the dancing in my sisters shirt too !
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

I voted for "Into Glory Ride ", but Battle Hymns, is pretty cool, where the lyric goes "I gave the square the finger"...."I bet he wont look again"

Hail to England CD on Music For Nations is a killer album...and I love the Death to False Metal quote, but it was removed on the Geffen CD edition.

I have a soft spot for "Into Glory Ride" because it was the second album released by Jon Zazula's Megaforce Records....He beat every label to the punch for top notch authentic heavy metal. Metallica, Manowar, Raven, Mercyful Fate, Anthrax, Exciter, Grave Digger, Stormtroopers of Death, Blessed Death, Overkill.

When it comes to the best concerts on Earth, for sure number 1 goes to Manowar and Motorhead, for having your ears ring the loudest for the most days in a row.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Funny. I always judge music by labels and magazine appearences, and concerts by amount of decibels too.
lions roar

Post by lions roar »

choosing between into glory ride and sign of the hammer isn't easy at all :?
have no idea which is my fav. happens . their 80's stuff is absolutely amazing.
daniel

Post by daniel »

"Hail To England" and "Sign of the Hammer" are the best ones as whole albums go. Sound is great on "Into Glory Ride" but some of those songs are unlistenable, I'll -never- understand how anyone can think it's the best Manowar record.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

daniel wrote: Sound is great on "Into Glory Ride" but some of those songs are unlistenable
Why?
I dislike only "Hatred".
laasgaardh

Post by laasgaardh »

1. Into Glory Ride
2. Hail To England
3. Sign Of The Hammer
4. Battle Hymns

No problems to rank them for me, but they are still great albums all of them.
laasgaardh

Post by laasgaardh »

Herkus Monte wrote:
daniel wrote: Sound is great on "Into Glory Ride" but some of those songs are unlistenable
Why?
I dislike only "Hatred".
Hatred is one of their 3 best songs according to me. The only song on the album that decreases the quality a little bit is Warlord, which isn't bad at all, but just not in league with the rest.
daniel

Post by daniel »

"Warlord"; ridiculously stupid intro, and a boring song. "Hatred"; long and slow and I never feel like playing it, plus enough with the damn screaming. "Gloves of Metal" and "Secret of Steel" are great, I don't hate the rest but each one has good parts, and bad parts, and the long and epic thing they're going for doesn't work for me, it just bores me, the songs do not flow well within themselves.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Ironhead

Post by Ironhead »

Into Glory Ride here definitely! I used to be more into the rockish Battle Hymns when I started listening to Manowar but after a year or two ended up with IGR as the #1. The slow-paced epicness ruling that album (which some people dislike) is the main thing that makes it my favourite.
There are some songs just as good on other albums but IGR has a better average in song quality, in my opinion. My 2nd favourite would be Battle Hymns, followed by Hail to England. I got Sign of the Hammer too but it hasn't really struck on me (yet). The rest of their albums I'm not interested in as I already have problems with Soth!
The Devil is within us all...