Witch Hunt - Demo '84 (pre-Crom (Fin))

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Stench

Witch Hunt - Demo '84 (pre-Crom (Fin))

Post by Stench »

Hello everyone! I found this site when searching for information on this band.

My friend's dad played bass in a Finnish band called WITCH HUNT, which later became CROM. WITCH HUNT released one demo in '84 and CROM released one 7" in '85. Personally I think that it's really great and catchy, very much NWOBHM inspired stuff.

Anyways, me and my friend transferred the demo on the computer and here's the result: http://www.esnips.com/web/witchhunt
There are only three songs uploaded, but the whole demo has six songs. I couldn't find any information about WITCH HUNT, but there was some information about CROM on Isten's Metal Guide.

Hope you like it!
Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

Incredible songs, Stench! This is exactly the kind of music I miss from Finland. Does the demo have any name? I also checked Isten, but there was really not much information... just the single tracks, which year it was released and that it has a picture sleeve. I wonder how it looks like!

I would really like to hear the other three demo songs too, if you can manage that?
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Yeah PHENOMINAL! best Fin songs I've heard in ages. Thanks a lot for sharing!
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Stench

Post by Stench »

Thanks for comments!

The band didn't spread the demo very much, I think only for like 20-30 copies. The demo didn't have any covers and the name was probably "Earth Queen". CROM's picture sleeve included only the logo and the back cover had the track names on it.

I put only three tracks online, because it was ok with my friend's dad. If I'd tell him about this success they have here, I'm sure he gives permission to upload the rest of the songs!
zeuhl

Post by zeuhl »

Uh-huh, really good stuff! Catchy, strong songs, good playing and great vocals. It's a shame this band wasn't officially released back then, never even heard the name before this. Six songs, you say? Someone ought to get the master tapes and put this out on vinyl!

Really memorable stuff! Great!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I liked those three tracks too. Very charming stuff, i wonder how that Crom 7" sounds like.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Cool stuff.How can someone download these tracks?

Why Stench don't you pass by from your friend's house,open a beer and talk 10 minutes with his dad about Crom and Witch Hunt.And upload all the tracks here?

Who knows maybe they will be released in the future by some record reissue.Since the quality of the band is very,very high. 8)
Stench

Post by Stench »

Good news for everyone interested in WITCH HUNT: the six song demo is going to be released officially at least someway! The only bad thing is that the master tapes are gone. My friend's dad contacted the drummer about it, but he didn't even have the 7" or the demo anymore. Too bad that the singer is a drug addict nowadays and the guitarist lives in the US making millions of $$$.

Songs "Eyes of Fire" and "Earth Queen" are on the CROM 7", but I'm not sure if they are the same versions. I'll ask my friend's dad about putting up the whole demo.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Stench wrote:Good news for everyone interested in WITCH HUNT: the six song demo is going to be released officially at least someway!

and the guitarist lives in the US making millions of $$$.
Well, I'd know who to contact about an official release. :)

The three songs sound promising, I'd definitely like to hear more.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Oh this is just yummy! As said, not too similar to any other old Finn-Metal acts you could think of, but definitely Scandinavian-sounding. Bit of a JONAH QUIZZ-vibe actually.

Stench, we REALLY need to hear more! Hope you can convince the guy to share the rest of the songs. A question: is the 7" made from from this demo recording, or were those songs re-recorded? Would be cool to have a rip of the single in any case, if only to have 'em with better sound.
nabel

Post by nabel »

Would be cool to have that demo released and maybe the 7" as bonus too. Can't really say anything about the demo as that streaming system does not really work with my computer.
This seems to be hot subject nowdays as there were few people talking about this last weekend over beers...

Guitar player making $$$? Atleast some euros from rerelease would be fair as Yle (finnish broadcasting company) marks credits of both 7" songs to the bass player... :wink:
anthares

Post by anthares »

Aaargh! Such a great discovery! Thanx Stench for the cdr, this truly rocks! 6 great songs of realt heavy metal! Great songwriting, musicanship and sound (exept from the start). I want that Crom "7!!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Are you able to post a complete track list for the Demo with song lengths?

Thanks...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
anthares

Post by anthares »

Earth queen 3:00
Nightmare 3:18
Eyes of fire 4:23
We´ll stay here 4:00
After the war 5:31
Face to face 3:28
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Stench wrote:the guitarist lives in the US making millions of $$$.
What does he do there??

I'm going to have a listen now...
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?