Black Sabbath 1980-onwards appreciation thread

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Which is the strongest post Ozzy Sabbath album?

The Mob Rules
20%
Born Again
32%
Seventh Star
No votes
The Eternal Idol
No votes
Headless Cross
36%
Tyr
8%
Dehumanizer
4%
Cross Purposes
No votes
Forbidden
No votes

Total votes: 25

mordred

Black Sabbath 1980-onwards appreciation thread

Post by mordred »

Yes, Black Sabbath once had a singer called Ozzy Osbourne and I would be the first to admit that some of the early stuff is in many respects superior to everything else that's out there. But man, despite an ever changing lineup, those Sabbath records from the 80's and 90's were awesome for the most part. Metal behemoths with titanic riffs, classy songs and astonishing vocal work from a host of some of metal's finest throats.

I just read the EXCELLENT "Never Say Die" biography on Black Sabbath 1979-1997 by Garry Sharpe Young, for the second time. It's a highly recommended read for anyone with the faintest interest in Black Sabbath. It goes into great detail about the recordings of every single album in this period, and also sheds all light imaginable on mysteries like the sessions with David Donato on vocals in 1984, Jeff Fenholt's involvement in what was to be the Seventh Star album, when Tony Martin was brought in to re-record the vocals for Dehumanizer etc, a lot of behind the scens stuff. Fascinating from the first page to the last.

Now, I thought I'd make a poll out of this; which is the best non Ozzy fronted Black Sabbath record? I excluded Heaven and Hell because I figured most people (me included) would go for that one.

After much pondering I went with Headless Cross. It has some flaws and I was thinking that maybe Tyr, The Eternal Idol and The Mob Rules were more solid albums, but there's just no beating the first side of the Headless Cross vinyl. The title song, Devil and Daughter and When Death Calls… immortal stuff. And I think that Tony Martin delivers one of the most awe inspiring vocal performances on a metal record ever in "When Death Calls".
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Pretty ease for me to choose, Headless Cross and Tyr are not only the best 80s BS albums, they are the best BS albums GENERALLY and also among my 5 best metal albums EVER. There is NOT a single song which i don't adore on these two LPs. All slay. Tony Martin is God, the guy is simply unbelievable, his performance on tracks like When death calls, Odin's court, Black moon, Anno Mundi etc is immortal.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
msp

Post by msp »

I remember borrowing my friends tape copy of Dehumanizer back in 1992 and thinking it sucked. Most likley because it did not sound like Death metal. I was 16 and had no idea back then (nothing's changed...)

I bought it on CD back in May this year and really liked it.

Ahhhh... the foolishness of youth
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Born Again (demo), Ray Gillen's The Eternal Idol and Tyr.

Way too hard to choooose. I guess I would have to go for Tyr as it's the only version that was actually released. But I got cheeky and voted for Born Again instead.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Born Again, I like the dio material too but its far superior on live recordings which weren't included in this poll.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Born Again for me, I love this album almost as much as the first 4.
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

Born Again on Pole Position so far :shock:

so, the best non-Ozzy album besides the one that is obviously the best and therefore not availabe to vote :wink: for me is Headless Cross. Just spun that one and Tyr just to be sure..

Headless Cross was in fact the first Sabbath album I bought (and liked) in 1989 - even before I was ready to appreciate the first six.. for some strange reason, I never really got into Ozzy fronted Sabbath before early 90s when I was more into punk and indie stuff actually..
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I hate to sound like a broken record but this one is still highly recommended to those who haven't heard it.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

No Heaven and Hell...Headless Cross

With one of my all time favourite Sabbath songs Nightwing as well as other greats like Devil and Daughter and the title cut.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
HamburgerBoy

Post by HamburgerBoy »

The Mob Rules, but I really like Born Again and The Headless Cross as well. Overall I think I prefer post-Ozzy Sabbath to pre-Ozzy Sabbath.
Morbid69

Post by Morbid69 »

Good to see headless cross winning the poll, this one is an underrated classic i believe
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Born Again for me.

Great start for Ian Gillan.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I really like Dehumanizer, something about the muddy production & plodding songs I love. Mob Rules & Born Again tied for second...
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Mob Rules easily; probably the best 'Sabbath album period.
Other good post-Ozzy albums are Headless Cross ('Nightwing' rules) and Tyr. I've never been a huge fan of heaven and Hell; the big songs are great of course, but the rest are filler IMO. Same goes for Born Again; a few good songs but lots of average ones.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Voted for "Born Again". Great song-writing and Gillan vocals are insane.