Black Sabbath 1980-onwards appreciation thread

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Which is the strongest post Ozzy Sabbath album?

The Mob Rules
20%
Born Again
32%
Seventh Star
No votes
The Eternal Idol
No votes
Headless Cross
36%
Tyr
8%
Dehumanizer
4%
Cross Purposes
No votes
Forbidden
No votes

Total votes: 25

GJ

Post by GJ »

I chose Mob Rules (as a substitute for H&H). Although not completely satisfying it has some stand out tracks like Sign of the Southern Cross and Falling off the Edge of the World that really does it for me emotionally - and all tracks except for Slipping away are very good. Still if Born Again had sounded like the demos (a bootleg of these was released as Born in the Studio) the choice would have been a lot harder.
mordred

Post by mordred »

I'm going through a heavy Sabbath frenzy right now and dug out some great bootlegs last night and this morning... Like the excellent Worcester '83 show, Hammersmith Odeon '86 (with Ray Gillen), some shows supporting Headless Cross and Tyr, the 70's set they did with Bill Ward towards the end of the Cross Purposes tour etc. Titanic stuff.
I feel I need more Black Sabbath bootlegs though! For instance, I don't have anytning from either The Eternal Idol or Dehumanizer tours. Anyone who has bootlegs and is up for a trade? Trading lossless music on cdr that would be, I'm not too keen om mp3.
Black Axe wrote:Born Again (demo), Ray Gillen's The Eternal Idol and Tyr.
Do you really think the Ray Gillen version of The Eternal Idol is superior to the one that was released with Tony Martin's vocals? Needless to say Gillen's version is good as well, he's not a bad singer by any stretch (he did a good job live with Sabbath, especially with the Ozzy era material) but still I strongly prefer the Tony Martin version. I feel Martin has considerably more power in the low end and I think his diction and phrasing is clearer and has more edge than Gillen's.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

mordred wrote:
Black Axe wrote:Born Again (demo), Ray Gillen's The Eternal Idol and Tyr.
Do you really think the Ray Gillen version of The Eternal Idol is superior to the one that was released with Tony Martin's vocals? Needless to say Gillen's version is good as well, he's not a bad singer by any stretch (he did a good job live with Sabbath, especially with the Ozzy era material) but still I strongly prefer the Tony Martin version. I feel Martin has considerably more power in the low end and I think his diction and phrasing is clearer and has more edge than Gillen's.
Yes, obviously I do. I'm not a big fan of Tony on TEI(he also sounds a bit too Dio-ish to my ears), I like his vocals a lot better on the other Sabbath albums. And I absolutely love Gillen's vocals.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

and wheres HEAVEN AND HELL (including one of the best songs ever written)...

I love Born Again, i gerew up with that, but seriously Ian was goinf down in his carreer....about the others....well...im an all DIO fan.... :roll:
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:and wheres HEAVEN AND HELL (including one of the best songs ever written)...

I love Born Again, i gerew up with that, but seriously Ian was goinf down in his carreer....about the others....well...im an all DIO fan.... :roll:
See the first post mordred doesn't include it because most would pick it.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
MexicanMetaler666

Post by MexicanMetaler666 »

BORNNNNN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
Heavy Metal is the LAW!!!!
jman

Post by jman »

gotta be Dehumanizer for me but this is one impossible poll. I used to be an all Ozzy sabbath guy all the time, but in the past 5 years or so I only listen to post-Oz stuff.

Oh yeah and the new "Heaven and Hell" (ugh, they should just call it Sabbath!) song "Shadow in the Wind" is AMAZING!
pzman

Post by pzman »

For me, i'd have to pick Tyr. Some great songs there, Anno Mundi being a fav. Great stuff!
Dave_the_Boss

Post by Dave_the_Boss »

I love 'em all, but Headless Cross is definitely my favorite. Truly Tony Martin's shining moment, and the title cut is one of their best tunes imo.