Glam/Hard Rock/Hair Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

convent guilt wrote:Candy Harlots
They were crap! one of the worst bands I ever saw live!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

Haha, I know, just thought I'd throw their name out for a laugh!

Still, they weren't as bad as Roxus...

Seriously though, there was such a fine line between 'glam' and metal bands in the '80s (in terms of both music and image) that any worshipper of pure heavy metal has to cross over at some point.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Pretty Boy Floyd is really bad imo. It's not the looks (though the singer looks like a fucking humanoid) but the music that sucks so much ass it hurts!

Does anyone like SWEET? They're really not part of the 80s glam metal scene though. They were part of the earlier 70s glam rock movement but managed to write some pretty heavy songs like ACTION for example. And ofcorpse we all know RAVEN covered them so it can't be too bad! Right?
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The Erlking wrote:Does anyone like SWEET? They're really not part of the 80s glam metal scene though. They were part of the earlier 70s glam rock movement but managed to write some pretty heavy songs like ACTION for example. And ofcorpse we all know RAVEN covered them so it can't be too bad! Right?
A lot more bands than just Raven covered Sweet songs.

I mean for fuck sakes how many times was Ballroom Blitz covered in the 80's alone?
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Another excellent band just occured to me, anyone else remember New York's CIRCUS OF POWER?
Their debut was pretty predictable but catchy biker style Hard Rock, but they really hit their stride with album no 2, "Vices".
They incorporated a slight Southern Rock edge to their sound here and it really worked well, like Skynyrd meets early AC/DC meets early ZZ Top or something like that, but heavier.
Was lucky enough to see them live on the accompanying tour and they were absolutely excellent on stage too.
Their 3rd "Magic & Madness" had it's moments too but was a bit unfocussed featuring appearances from Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains & The Cult's Ian Astbury.
I believe they're back together again, so i'm looking forward to hearing 21st Century C.O.P.

*EDIT*
I forgot to mention they also released a live Mini LP on Metal Blade too, called "Still Alive...", which was pretty excellent actually, the twin guitar line up really improved the songs from the debut on this one.
Last edited by bigfootkit on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Avenger wrote:
The Erlking wrote:Does anyone like SWEET? They're really not part of the 80s glam metal scene though. They were part of the earlier 70s glam rock movement but managed to write some pretty heavy songs like ACTION for example. And ofcorpse we all know RAVEN covered them so it can't be too bad! Right?
A lot more bands than just Raven covered Sweet songs.

I mean for fuck sakes how many times was Ballroom Blitz covered in the 80's alone?
hell one of the best saxon songs is indeed a cover of sweet's set me free.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Yep Saxon's cover is better than Heathen's.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Nightlock wrote:Yep Saxon's cover is better than Heathen's.
I agree.

Although, Heathen is a mindblowing band that cover was far from their finest hour.

I really wish that they would have put out any other song on the album for the video they made instead of that cover tune.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Yeah was strange, I especially don't like the way he sings in a weak voice "SET ME FReeeeeeeeEEEE".
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Nightlock wrote:Yeah was strange, I especially don't like the way he sings in a weak voice "SET ME FReeeeeeeeEEEE".
Perhaps it was put out due to pressure from the label to have a hit single?

It's really a terrible and inaccurate example of what their music really is.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

I've been listening to Diamond Rexx - Land Of The Damned album some more lately and it's actually pretty nice one even though it has some boring moments. Funny that they chose glam-like imago because their music reminds me of german 80s speed/heavy metal. Heck even the singer has a rough not-too-radio-friendly voice. The album suffers from bunch of boring songs (listenable though) but overall it has grown on me ever since I discovered it again. The good songs really kick ass. If I see this somewhere I probably will pick it up.

"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
pzman

Post by pzman »

My thoughts on glam/hair/pop metal? (well, i was actually introduced to real metal through Poison of all bands to keep a long story short). I personally would call the genre melodic/hard rock. Anyways i like a lot of bands from that period Dokken, Ratt, Wildside, GNR, Skid Row, Rage Of Angels, to name a few - it really wasnt too bad, maybe a few bands severely tainted its image, and then grunge came along...
Dave_the_Boss

Post by Dave_the_Boss »

bigfootkit wrote:Another excellent band just occured to me, anyone else remember New York's CIRCUS OF POWER?
Their debut was pretty predictable but catchy biker style Hard Rock, but they really hit their stride with album no 2, "Vices".
They incorporated a slight Southern Rock edge to their sound here and it really worked well, like Skynyrd meets early AC/DC meets early ZZ Top or something like that, but heavier.
Damn, that description sounds awesome. I'll look for their stuff.

Would anyone know some more bands that are in the old Motley Crue style? Like they were on TFFL and SATD. Those two albums are probably two of my alltime faves.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Dave_the_Boss wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:Another excellent band just occured to me, anyone else remember New York's CIRCUS OF POWER?

Would anyone know some more bands that are in the old Motley Crue style? Like they were on TFFL and SATD. Those two albums are probably two of my alltime faves.
Nice avatar Dave, good luck hunting down some C.O.P. stuff, i thnk you'll like it.
If you need an upload, just pm me.
Dave_the_Boss

Post by Dave_the_Boss »

bigfootkit wrote:
Dave_the_Boss wrote:

Nice avatar Dave, good luck hunting down some C.O.P. stuff, i thnk you'll like it.
If you need an upload, just pm me.
Haha, thanks buddy. Everything that's influenced by southern rock has to be good, so there you go. 8)
I think I'll look around record stores first, but thanks for the offer!