CANDLEMASS' later work..

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

CANDLEMASS' later work..

Post by DaN »

[Split from the "Which concert.."-thread since it seemed like a hot topic/Administructor]
playonten wrote:I'm not crazy about King Of The Grey Islands, but even those songs sounded huge.
Seriously, KotGI is their greatest achievent since "Ancient Dreams". Play it again. And again, and again...
Last edited by DaN on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Dan, I am horrified. The last 2 candlemass records were worthless, generic candlemass-copying-candlemass!
playonten

Post by playonten »

Well... I don't think the last two records were awful or anything, but they definitely sound like they're going through the motions. I guess I like KotGI more than the s/t, but that ain't saying much. I actually haven't heard any of their albums between Ancient Dreams and the s/t - haha. But I've been hearing a lot of people raving about From The 13th Son recently, so I'll have to track that down.
Helm

Post by Helm »

From the 13th Sun is highly competent Black Sabbath worship with a very fitting production job, an fx-happy guitarist and a Leif Edling that sounds at home with the direction and not trying to live up to any fan's standard of how much like 'old candlemass' he needs his band to sound. As such, it's a good record. It sounds written in a week, which is usually a horrible thing to happen to a record, but somehow this one pulls the spontaneity off with heaps of atmosphere and thematic focus. If you're going to rip off 'Black Sabbath' (the song) you can't do it better than Candlemass have on this record.

If you haven't, check out Abstract Algebra, I think it's probably in the top5 things Edling has been part of, and easily the most indicative record of the whole 90's disfunctional heavy metal direction, for good or worse.

The last two Candlemass records are very by-the-numbers and it surprises me people don't see it. I am a huge fan (went to sweden for the 25th anniversary show and all) of Candlemass and it pains me too to realize that they're just phoning it in nowdays, but you have to be hard on the things you love, don't you?
playonten

Post by playonten »

I've never even heard of Abtrakt Algebra... but the Metal Archives page describes it as technical power metal which makes me a little wary. I like the dude from Krux's vocals though, so I'll definitely check it out. I pretty much agree about those last two records, although I think they have some redeeming points. They both have great opening tracks, and they played Of Stars And Smoke last night and it made me realize how good that song is.
This kind of thing doesn't usually bother me, but every time I listen to the new album it always stands out to me how god awful the lyrics are. Hopefully they'll let Lowe write some on the next album.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Abstract Algebra are a mixture of things, worthy to be judged upon listening and not on their metal archives tag.

And yeah, the lyrics (and therefore, spirit) of Candlemass are damaged by Leif just auto-piloting the thing. I think the situation is like this: Leif lost interest in epic doom metal type material a long time ago, but every time he tried to do anything else the industry and fans slapped him in the face for it. Abstract Algebra was very ahead of its time, with the post-futurist concept, the variation from metal to whatever, if it came out today it'd be critically acclaimed. But back then everybody laughed at Edling for that project. He couldn't even put out the second AA album without using the name Candlemass for it (Dactilys Glomerata) because he had no label support without th brand name he created in the 80's. That's really fucked up. So he's just half-assing it for the paycheck and it's blowing his mind how much the fanbase for Candlemass is lapping the new shit up as if it's EDM or Nightfall-era worthy. They're so desperate for a band they enjoyed from old sounding even remotely safe, familiar, like their old stuff that they overlook that all the riffs in the last two albums are half-riffs (think about it! Actually half a riff! Every time! There's even E - F alternating two note riffs in there! From the person that wrote Black Stone Wielder!) The songs are boring verse bridge chorus solo affairs (...from the person that wrote Who/What//Where/When!), the lyrics are tripe, everything that oh, makes a good HM record good is absent. No pride in doing what they feel and determination to go the full mile for it, just cheap self-imitation. It looks like epic doom metal, it smells like epic doom metal, it says Candlemass on the cover, it must be class epic doom metal, right? Right? :(
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Helm wrote:The last 2 candlemass records were worthless, generic candlemass-copying-candlemass!
Helm, you are wrong about a lot of things, & here you are very wrong!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Korgüll wrote:
Helm wrote:The last 2 candlemass records were worthless, generic candlemass-copying-candlemass!
Helm, you are wrong about a lot of things, & here you are very wrong!
The amazing production & superb guitarsound really save those two albums.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I don't believe they are worthless albums but he is right about one thing they are generic candlemass copying candlemass and you can't deny they aren't going through the motions on the those albums, I personally wouldn't buy anything after the live album from 1990.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Black Axe wrote:The amazing production & superb guitarsound really save those two albums.
There is a lot worse shit out there then these 2 excellent albums!

KOTGI was just about the best album from last year... easy!
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Korgüll wrote:
Black Axe wrote:The amazing production & superb guitarsound really save those two albums.
There is a lot worse shit out there then these 2 excellent albums!

KOTGI was just about the best album from last year... easy!
I thought last year was one of the worst years of late for new metal albums. Songwise I like KOTGI a lot better than most Candlemass albums since Ancient Dreams, but it just sounds like shit. I'd rather if they'd just form a new band together with Solitude Aeturnus, as they might come it with something a little more fresh than either band has come up with in recent years.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Actually given how great SA's 'Alone' disk was, it's best if Edling doesn't go near them, as he cannot improve them in any way.

Korgull, tastes differ I am sure, but at least I am providing an argument about why these two records are bad. You're just telling me that I'm very wrong. It's alright if you don't want to discuss it further, but just know I am not changing my mind because you liked those albums. I respect your taste, but I respect mine more! :P The only thing that I'd like to underline on the Candlemass argument is that my opinions do not stem from any sort of either purist Candlemass viewpoint (after all, I like Abstract Algebra more than say, Ancient Dreams) or either from some illogical raging nerd type of thing. I really, really love Candlemass and I am very sad to see them phone it in. I wish it weren't like that, but I can't force myself to not see the obvious.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Helm wrote:raging nerd
You said it :P
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

My 2 cents:
I did not like the s/t Candlemass album; the songwriting was instantly forgettable and I hated the guitar sound on the album. A poor attempt at a return to form. However, I really like KotGI; wile it may be returning to the old formula, IMO it's performed very well and Lowe's vocals sound very inspired, much better than his recent work in Solitude Aeternus (I find both 'Alone' and 'Adagio' kinda disappointing overall; KotGI destroys both those albums with 1 riff tied behind its back :) ).
All that said, Candlemass is now stuck in a no-win situation. If they try to do something different, like they did on the (great) 'Dactylus Glomerata' and 'From the 13th Sun' albums, then a huge portion of the fan base whines and moans that they don't sound like 'classic Candlemass' anymore. However, if they take a stab at reviving their old sound, like they did on the s/t and KotGI, then the other portion of their fan base accuses them of making a quick buck by going through the motions and copycatting their early albums. Thus, the band is gonna catch plenty of grief from fans no matter which way they go :(
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
mordred

Post by mordred »

Candlemass might be my favourite band of all time and I adore everything they have ever done, with the possible exception of Dactylis Glomerata (which was initially meant to be an Abstrakt Algebra album anyway and AA was cool but inferior to anything Candlemass has done before or since). Their best albums for me are, and will alwyas be, Epicus, Nightfall and Chapter VI.

Even so, the last two albums rule, there's hardly even an average song on either of them and even if Leif is going through the motions and he's never gonna top Nightfall or Chapter VI, his motions are still better than most bands creative peaks. I think I have listened to King of the Grey Islands over a hundred times already. I really can't see Helm's point here.

Candlemass and Manilla Road - those are for me probably the bands of olde that are still going the strongest today. Candlemass has recorded a new EP with two new songs that's gonne be packed together with a bunch of live songs and be released this september. Highly anticipated release for me, I'm sure it will slay.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D