CANDLEMASS' later work..

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
mordred

Post by mordred »

Black Axe wrote:
mordred wrote:In Sweden many reject it just based on the change of vocalist, many times without even listening to the album. The thing about Thomas Vikström is that he started his carreer as an 18 year old in an AOR band that had a national hit with the song "Free Like an Eagle" in the late eighties. To a lot of swedes he's closely associated with that one song and thus many labeled him an "AOR vocalist" that could not possibly fit in a doom metal band. Which is of course ridiculous, because Vikström has sung AOR and doom metal and pretty much every HM/HR genre in between and then some, including major parts in national musical theatre. AOR vocalist my ass, but that's the way a lot of people see it, regardless of reality. It's sad I think.
That's a really dumb reason. Johan Langquist sang in similar genre's too after he left.
If you won't be listening to certain Candlemass era because the singer sang in a 'bad' genre, they shouldn't listen to anything with Messiah(Requiem...).
The difference would be that Langquist had no real history prior to singing for Candlemass and all he has done since has been far from the spotlight. Whereas if you mention Vikström's name to a swede he'll probably start humming "fuh-reeeeeeeee like an eagle" spontaneously. But yeah, it surely is as dumb a reason as can be.

I challenge anyone to try and say that Vikström did not have the range and power required to sing for Candlemass. Just check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGMlqr7iA8g
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Holy crap! The more I look at this cover & listen to the album I realize what a masterpiece!!!!!!
Just for you Helm :P

Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Helm

Post by Helm »

At least the cover is good, yes! :P
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

The first 4 albums of CANDLEMASS rule.CANDLEMASS is one of my fave bands.

My ranking will be
1)Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
2)Nightfall
3)Ancient Dreams
4)Tales Of Creation

Actually CANDLEMASS and BLACK HOLE are the only bands that play Doom Metal and i like(doom is a very boring genre in my opinion since i prefer Tradition+speed).

Chapter IV didn't click on me.The others 2 90's ones never cared.
The Candlemass album seems interesting and i want to buy it sometime since it has MESSIAH MARCOLIN again on vocals.

The new one with American Vocalist from boring SOLITUDE AETURNUS( :evil: )?Come on is this CANDLEMASS?
Leif Edling thinked like Jon Schaffer taking Tim''Ripper'' Owens for Iced Earth.

So in my opinion bring back MESSIAH MARCOLIN or(Jonah Langqvist!) or better split up.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Fucking Åmål wrote:The new one with American Vocalist from boring SOLITUDE AETURNUS( :evil: )?Come on is this CANDLEMASS?
Leif Edling thinked like Jon Schaffer taking Tim''Ripper'' Owens for Iced Earth.
nah... BULLSHIT!

Well you are into 'speed metal' so I guess you would find the genius of SA boring... it's a wonder you like Candlemass in the first place, they aren't German???!!!
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

I've never got sooooo much into Candlemass or Epic Doom Metal in general. I've tried to find out what is it that people love so much in Epicus Doomicus Metallicus but it just doesn't move me that much. I can appreciate most of the songs (especially Demons Gate) to a degree as it's not a bad album by any means. But I'm not so thrilled about it as most of here either. And for the record.. I don't hate DOOM. I love dearly such bands as Saint Vitus, Black Hole, Pentagram, Witchfinder General and Pagan Altar. I guess I like darker and more occult approach.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

The Erlking wrote:I've never got sooooo much into Candlemass or Epic Doom Metal in general. I've tried to find out what is it that people love so much in Epicus Doomicus Metallicus but it just doesn't move me that much.
I guess you had to hear it for the first time when it came out..
I remember hearing it in 86 on a metal radio show & it was incredible, I taped it & listened to it all the time. It's timeless stuff...
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

It could be that and who knows.. Maybe it'll all grow on me in time
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
msp

Post by msp »

Fucking Åmål wrote: boring SOLITUDE AETURNUS( :evil: )?

ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: BURN THE HERETIC!!!

SOLITUDE AETURNUS are one of my favourite bands of all time..

'Into the Depths of Sorrow' IS my favourite album of all time
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

I know a lot of people that don't like Candlemass at all but like other doom it's really strange...
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
anthares

Post by anthares »

I love especially EPIC DOOM METAL. But of course Pentagram and Saint Vitus which are so deep in my heart!

My CANDLEMASS list is:

Nightfall
Epicus doomicus
Tales of creation
Ancient dreams
Chapter IV
S/T
---...the rest
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Nightlock wrote:I know a lot of people that don't like Candlemass at all but like other doom it's really strange...
It's not that strange, there's a considerable difference between Trad. and Epic Doom Metal. Like The Erlking said I'm more into the darker (sound) and occult aspects too rather than the more operatic approach of Epic Doom Metal.
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

From the 13th Sun is my favorite Candlemass album by a longshot and one of my top ten of all time. Everything about it is brilliant (except the instrumental in the middle, which could have been left off). I got it in a package with Anathema's "Judgement" and had one of the most glorious and miserable summers of my life. But as for 13th Sun, I would point out these things:

- songs get slower and slower as the album progresses, almost as if it "dies" in your stereo
- lyrics are genuinely chilling ("spirits low yes life is shit, thought you understood"... "home is where you hang yourself"... ahhh...)
- has a drum solo
- has only one guitar solo, and that's arguable!
- production is massive all around
- it was Edling's favorite Candlemass album at the time of its release

Beat that!

Any opinions about the Nimis 7"? I suppose that is quite rare by now...
Helm

Post by Helm »

"sleepy herons abruptly awake, as the black god arises from within the cold of the lake"

that record has a lot of good lyrics, yes.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Professor Black wrote:- has only one guitar solo, and that's arguable!
I never understood what it is with modern doom and the rebellion against guitar solos...

It's just standard procedure to have at least one solo in a metal song.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."