Metal from the Land of Ire

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
DaN wrote:Many of the bands mentioned are featured in the NWOBHM Encyclopedia, so I guess that would make them Northern Irish?
Aye. Ezy Meat were a Norn Iron band, from County Armagh.

Anyone fancy uploading the Asphyxia/Morphosis & Tricifix demos?
I'll upload the ASPHYXIA demo "Conflagration".
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

omen of hate wrote:I'll upload the ASPHYXIA demo "Conflagration".
Cheers!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Piotr Sargnagel wrote:There was nothing in Ireland in the 80s. You must remember that it was a time of recession, mass unemployment, mass emigration, nobody had anything! Watch the film *The Commitments* and anything by Roddy Doyle should give you an idea of what it was like.
I saw it on Wednesday. Endless queues at Welfare ... . Not a pretty picture. But Irish people have spirit and are good singers so they could overcome it.
Piotr Sargnagel wrote:I shall find out more
There's the similar thread some pages into intestines of Into Battle, but when "boss" doubles it, I guess it's no problem :wink: . This one's turning out better anyway.
I am ... the One you warned me of
GJ

Post by GJ »

nar marratuk wrote:they had some influences that leaned more towards Rory Gallagher
Many modern heavy metal guitarists should throw away their Van Halen/R. Rhoades/Y. Malmsteen influences and go straight back to this man. That would do a lot of good to their music. Rory's the man! The heaviest and the most gentle. May his music live forever!!!
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Anything I have heard of Rory Gallagher I have liked very much - great drive, great riffs!

With regard to 80s Metal scene, I can't better what Nar Marratuk has written really!

*In God's own Image* compilation is early 90s death / thrash and doom. I'm going to be getting copies of the tapes soon so I can post up track and band listings.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Re: Primordial, I actually only discovered them very recently and got a couple of their CDs the other day. They are more than decent, they're fucking good! I've missed out totally, so now I'll have to get all their stuff.

There's quite a bit of good 70s stuff from Ireland that's good, like Gallagher, Horslips, Mellow Candle and a few more.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

great_knuthulhu wrote:Re: Primordial, I actually only discovered them very recently and got a couple of their CDs the other day. They are more than decent, they're fucking good! I've missed out totally, so now I'll have to get all their stuff.

There's quite a bit of good 70s stuff from Ireland that's good, like Gallagher, Horslips, Mellow Candle and a few more.
Knut the debut and killer I might add demo from PRIMORDIAL has just been released on vinyl as a limited pic disc with a couple of bonus live tracks from no sign of life recs. based in Finland...
http://www.no-sign-of-life.com/

Yes indeed Rory Gallagher is damn good and glad I caught him just the one time anyway in '84. HORSLIPS!!!! Love them.
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

Actually not so old but the band GRAVEYARD DIRT who relelased the doom/death demo back in '95 "of romance and fire" released the follow up late last year "shadows of old ghosts ep" and it's just killer!! Sounds like they never went away and tyo come up with such a killer release 12 years after the first was an amazing feat....Great band!!
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

nar marratuk wrote:
great_knuthulhu wrote:Re: Primordial, I actually only discovered them very recently and got a couple of their CDs the other day. They are more than decent, they're fucking good! I've missed out totally, so now I'll have to get all their stuff.

Knut the debut and killer I might add demo from PRIMORDIAL has just been released on vinyl as a limited pic disc with a couple of bonus live tracks from no sign of life recs. based in Finland...
http://www.no-sign-of-life.com/

Yes indeed Rory Gallagher is damn good and glad I caught him just the one time anyway in '84. HORSLIPS!!!! Love them.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that album. Not sure if I'm going to buy something like that from a band I've discovered so recently though. Still lack all but two of their albums.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

I understand completely where you are coming from knut but for me it's one of their best despite being recorded on such a low budget back in the day..but despite that it has all the passion of a metal band looking for the breakthrough and doing what they love best.
...also if you have most of the discography already it would be a nice addition though and it'll be sold out soon. Probably the most successful Irish act at this stage in hard rock/ metal circles bar LIZZY, MAMA'S BOYS, RORY GALLAGHER and maybe 1 or 2 more.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

great_knuthulhu wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:
Avenger wrote:
It does have some fucking badass cover art though...
That's true! Surely one of the best.
I'll join in on that. The album is forgettable though, and some times it seems they didn't quite know what they were doing.
I brought it on the cover art alone. I like the title track and Death's Dealer at least. Raw and fun.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

SEVERED HEAD anyone? Their 1983 "Heavy Metal" 7" holds a special place in my heart.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote:SEVERED HEAD anyone? Their 1983 "Heavy Metal" 7" holds a special place in my heart.
I thought they were from the UK?

I have the single, but it's in rather poor shape, unfortunately.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

great_knuthulhu wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:
Avenger wrote:
It does have some fucking badass cover art though...
That's true! Surely one of the best.
I'll join in on that. The album is forgettable though, and some times it seems they didn't quite know what they were doing.
Unconscious Metal !
I am ... the One you warned me of
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Some updates on this. The blog here:

http://irish-metal.blogspot.com/

is an archive of demo and live material (and some other stuff) of Irish Metal bands so give this chap your support because he is doing sterling work!!