Metal from the Land of Ire

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Noisenik

Metal from the Land of Ire

Post by Noisenik »

I somehow continue our geographically underlined threads with this one. Now that we have a true Irish member, I felt we should slowly started it. I guess Shane could also contribute but he seems to be lost for us.

Piotr, feel obliged to put more info of your 'zine into 'Zine thread (somewhere in Into Battle)

So what apart Ezy Meat, Moral Crusade, Trojan and Blackwich is worth hearing. Something sloppy even? btw. Roman you still have BW in?
Last edited by Noisenik on Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am ... the One you warned me of
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

I know there was a compilation LP called "Green Metal" or something like this...Maybe there were some more bands presented?
Piotr Sargnagel

Irish Metal

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Weeeeeeelllllll..... I'm not actually genuinely Irish, I'm from Austria but been living here long enough now not to get surprised by the weather... Ok bands to recommend from long ago, I would say Fifth Dominion and Morphosis - each of them had one demo out as far as I can remember... The Primordial demo is interesting, Cruachan demo. Waylander I must say I don't find interesting but Mael Mordha are very very good indeed, they have a nice split 7" with Primordial out recently as well as a brand new album. Thus far for the 'zine I have received material from Parhelia (slow, very restful, what they call instrumental post-rock, what I call instrumental zen-rock for bringing people down off bad acid trips), Still Life who sent me their recent ep with Demon, Maiden, Priest influences, I really like this!), Nemesis, who got a great HM thing going on, Altus Astrum, BM with some interesting parts, Era Vulgaris who will be interrogated fiercely about their motives. Some others as well that I can't remember right now... Anyway, reviews will include some questions about recording and boring shit I find interesting like what guitar setting they use for certain solos lol!

Supplement part of 'zine will include foreign bands like (hopefully) Grand Belial's Key and Zygoatsis.

Is that of any help?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Oh, you shouldn't say you're from Austria. Vaggelis will eat you :lol: .

Seriously, it would be fine if you could done some historical investigating regarding 80's, bands from "Green Metal" included.

Regarding "Green Metal": does these bands produced any demos or 7'ers?
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

I remember downloading green metal and not finding any stand out tracks and deleting it right after listening.

I suppose I prefer these Celtic folk/black metal bands that Piotr mentioned.

I like Primordial,Cruachan and Waylander, I tried the new Mael Mordha album and I did not like it I suppose I will have to investigate them further.
Piotr Sargnagel

research

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Ok research will be done. A lot of those demo bands from early 90s didn't release much apart from demos and rehearsals and then got kids and jobs...
Bane

Post by Bane »

There are bands such as the mighty Assassin, Killer Watt, Fifth Dominion, Winter's Reign, and Morphosis to add to Noisenik's list. Then there are killer bands who keep the old school flame burning, such as Old Season, Nemesis, Mass Extinction, Overoth... I could go on for ages. The Irish Metal scene is at an all time peek! Check out www.metalireland.com for more info.

Keep an eye on the 'Agressive Tyrants Vol. 1' release due out this summer. It will contain some truely awesome tracks from the forefathers of Irish Metal!

http://www.underground-movement.net/rel ... hp?relID=9
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

PRIMORDIAL hit me like a bomb about a year ago. Best "new" Metal band I've heard since SLOUGH FEG. Any recommendations on Irish bands that go in a similar direction is more than welcomed.

As for the oldies TRÖJAN stand out as a favourite. Early demos very much wanted.
Bane

Post by Bane »

Primordial are one of the best Metal bands in the world. If you're looking for bands in a similar direction, the biggest ones which come to mind are:

Mael Mordha - http://www.myspace.com/maelmorda

Waylander - http://www.myspace.com/clanwaylander
(Their second album 'The Light, The Dark, and the Endless Knot' in particular, for that Black/Celtic feel)

You might also want to look into Karnayna and Geasa.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Critical wrote:There are bands such as the mighty Assassin, Killer Watt, Fifth Dominion, Winter's Reign, and Morphosis to add to Noisenik's list. Then there are killer bands who keep the old school flame burning, such as Old Season, Nemesis, Mass Extinction, Overoth... I could go on for ages. The Irish Metal scene is at an all time peek! Check out www.metalireland.com for more info.

Keep an eye on the 'Agressive Tyrants Vol. 1' release due out this summer. It will contain some truely awesome tracks from the forefathers of Irish Metal!

http://www.underground-movement.net/rel ... hp?relID=9
Whoa! killer! will certainly look to get the Agressive Tyrants volumes.

Hmm, to add to newer bands ... weren't Arcane Sun Irish too?
Bane

Post by Bane »

Yes they were! Their debut self-titled album is being reissued by Sentinel Records later this year. An essential release!

http://www.sentinelrecords.com/
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Mr. Critical,

there exist a new band that would combine thrash with Irish folk? Something in that vein would be also fine to hear :D ...
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

You can also mention FREEWAY, SWEET REVENGE, two NWOBHM bands from Ireland.
mordred

Post by mordred »

SWEET SAVAGE would deserve a mention methinks...
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

mordred wrote:SWEET SAVAGE would deserve a mention methinks...
Ouch! I completely forgot them. My memory, where have you gone?