Hungarian metal - a recommendation thread

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

mordred wrote:I will probably be going to Budapest this atuutmn. I know there were a lot of good bands from Hungary, but is it easy to find record shops with Pokolgep, Ossian, Omen etc LP's in Budapest?
There seems to be one good store from who I bought both my copies of Tepj szet minden lancot. I never visited in when I was in Budapest though but it's supposed to be close to the Oktagon
GJ

Post by GJ »

Just wondering if I'm the only one here who thinks that the hungarian early eighties hard rock scene (especially P.Box and Dinamit) thrashes (slightly so :wink: ) the later eighties/early nineties Heavy Metal wave (with bands like Ossian, Pokolgép and Omen). Especially on the writing side, but also the playing and production. And guys like József Kalapács and Endre Paksi sounds utterly weak when compared to someone like Vikidál Gyula (or should that be G V? - maybe the greatest vocalist in rock ever!). Still, I won't sell my A Sátán/A Maszk single - ever!

Now:
Kill me!
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

antichrist, angel reaper, fantom and detonator all rule
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

khiijol wrote:antichrist, angel reaper, fantom and detonator all rule
Fantom is great!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

khiijol wrote:antichrist, angel reaper, fantom and detonator all rule
FANTOM-Lucifer Jelenj Med contains some of the most unique Black Metal ever.
Total riff slaying madness.

ANGEL REAPER-2nd demo is very good untechnical and honest Black/Heavy Metal.
mordred

Post by mordred »

GJ wrote:...And guys like József Kalapács and Endre Paksi sounds utterly weak...
I actually prefer Joe Rudán to Kalapács as the singer in Pokolgép. Rudán has more power, and the Adj uj Eröt album slays. Is Endre Paksi the the singer of Ossian? If he is, I agree that he sounds weak. I never liked Ossian too much.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

GJ wrote:Just wondering if I'm the only one here who thinks that the hungarian early eighties hard rock scene (especially P.Box and Dinamit) thrashes (slightly so :wink: ) the later eighties/early nineties Heavy Metal wave (with bands like Ossian, Pokolgép and Omen). Especially on the writing side, but also the playing and production.
I guess it's just a matter of weather you prefer more 70's style HR over 80's Metal. What I've heard from P.Box and Dinamit hasn't impressed me so far, but then again it really isn't my Rock of choice.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

mordred wrote: I actually prefer Joe Rudán to Kalapács as the singer in Pokolgép. Rudán has more power, and the Adj uj Eröt album slays. Is Endre Paksi the the singer of Ossian? If he is, I agree that he sounds weak. I never liked Ossian too much.
I agree that Joe Rudan is better for POKOLGEP.Yes Adj Uj Eröt is my favourite POKOLGEP album too.

Kalapacs is perfect also but i prefer them in OMEN.He has done great work with Feketeben.

Nothing bad about OSSIAN's singer.He sounds too much Hungarian.In fact his nasal vocals are characteristical for Hungarian singing and OSSIAN defines this term.

OSSIAN's Acelsziv is masterpiece.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

What blasphemy! Kalapacs is the real Pokolgép singer for me. I love his voice.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
GJ

Post by GJ »

mordred wrote:I actually prefer Joe Rudán to Kalapács as the singer in Pokolgép. Rudán has more power, and the Adj uj Eröt album slays. Is Endre Paksi the the singer of Ossian? If he is, I agree that he sounds weak. I never liked Ossian too much.
I agree with you about Rudán although I prefer the older Pokolgép material on a songwriting and general sound/style basis.

I had the great luck to get to see both Pokolgép and Ossian when me and my wife (then girlfriend) were visiting Budapest in the year 2000. I was impressed by both bands (I had only heard Acélszív and Totális Metál at the time so there was a lot of songs I had never heard before) but more so by the fantastic atmosphere in the hall. It seemed everyone in the audience sang every word throughout both sets (verses, choruses, whatever) and although not understanding one word, after a while I sort of did the same (aah-ing and ohooh-ing ). Two great strange nights (it was a two day festival) in which I only saw these two bands, leaving out Gamma Ray, Metalium and who ever else was there...
GJ

Post by GJ »

DaN wrote: I guess it's just a matter of weather you prefer more 70's style HR over 80's Metal. What I've heard from P.Box and Dinamit hasn't impressed me so far, but then again it really isn't my Rock of choice.
I´m not sure about this as I rather listen to Accept or Judas Priest stuff circa 80-84 than say Deep Purple´s or Uriah Heep´s seventies material (of course Judas Priest were even better 1976-1978...). It´s more a case of what really strikes you emotionally (something that the vocals of Gyula Vikidál does for me). I'm not sure that I'm capable of analysing this as I like to think of it as (or rather want it to be) an unconscious process.
I would guess my record collection (if that is anything to judge from) consists of maybe 50% eighties heavy metal (and to a lesser extent hard rock) and circa 20% seventies hard rock (and heavy metal = Priest and Sabbath) most of the rest would be progressive stuff mainly from the seventies and more recent metal (hard rock).
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

wyzard wrote:
anthares wrote:Karthago fucking rules!
Hell yeah!
I strongly second this.
Gott ist tot.
vansinne

Post by vansinne »

Thanks for all the great replies! If I don't find a record store in Budapest I'll definitely try hunting some of this stuff down online instead.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

There is at least this one !
Near Octogon !

Laci basci's record store
Andrassy ut 46

He also sells on eBay !
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

man try SAMAN, really good heavy metal, plus there are some ex-ossian members but im not quiet sure about the line up

thanks to the metalmaster for this :wink:
Last edited by MEXDefenderOfSteel on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.