The Corroseum bands

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
GJ

Post by GJ »

daniel wrote:QUICKSAND DREAM; the only thing weird about the production for me is the snare sound... I don't know if the vocals are amazing (they aren't!), but they're certainly NOT bad (I hear you :D ), and when it comes to Doom Metal I am mostly not a fan of Messiah style vocals, though Lowe on 'Through the Darkest Hour' is perfection, and the vocals here are better than say Matravers or Ingram of SOLSTICE. I really enjoyed the lead section on 'Wings of Suffering' and the ending is -beautiful-. Did you do more stuff? I certainly like this much more than for instance the Swedish SORCERER.
Sorry for infiltrating your post with comments in red bold text above!

As for if we did anything more, this was pretty much last call as a band proper. We did three demos as Epic Irae prior to this and me and the bass player "released" a Quicksand Dream CD-R of conceptual proportions :lol: in 2000 which can be downloaded here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/235136775/Q ... n.rar.html
(also found in the Poisonoise section with some historical info/nostalgical rants - this is where DaN tagged us, quite suitable, "EpicDoom-light")
Helm

Post by Helm »

daniel: It seems often what we make is too old-school for the metalcore hipster people and too new-school for the 80s enthusiasts. It is certainly informed by early 90's romantic doom/death, black metal and early progressive metal, which aren't the Corroseum's favorites. For me it's all Heavy Metal but I can see why others wouldn't agree. Perhaps 'music for supermarkets' was taking it a bit too far though.

Bigfoot I'm sorry, I didn't notice your comment, I wasn't snubbing you or anything. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. I'm not sure what context you're after... musically if you think about say, early Tiamat (Astral Sleep?) with early Anathema (Serenades) composing music with Psychotic Waltz (A Social Grace) while In The Woods (HEart of the Ages) surveys I think that's pretty close. If these bands aren't familiar to you, I wholeheartedly recommend them, they've been extremely positive influences in my life.

As to background info on the human whys and hows, probably better not publicly because the whole thing is kinda secretive. I believe this is the first time I've put a song of ours on a forum on the internet, but I think of the Corroseum as a safe haven, in a way, heh.

Which reminds me I also listened to the Bigfoot 4 song EP recently and I listened to it again now, here's my thoughts:

First of all I really really enjoy the singer's vocal lines. There's something really direct and melancholic about his range and choices of modulation. The guitarist has kind of a weird tone (is that the psyche influence?) but I appreciate that the mix is such that I can follow all the instruments at the same time. The material is pretty diverse actually and though I do note some songwriting lag during 'Medicine' it may be more attributed to my tastes than anything.

The most important thing I get from this material is the impression that the impulse that lead to the music is something human and real and that's hard to not be charmed by regardless of the conventions (or lack of) of the material.

Am I wrong to feel that the cementing influence here is 70's hard rock and proto-metal like Grand Funk, Cactus, Sabbath et al? I don't know if it's on purpose but this sort of music roundaboutly seems informed by the grunge thing of the mid 90's, I mean this can stand next to Soundgarden pretty well and I get a similar vibe from Alice in Chains, is that intentional?

I really think that - if that was your intention - this sort of music could appeal widely to people though I'd have my reservations on the guitar tone. I think a more conservative rhythm guitar tone might have helped in that direction but if you don't care about 'being played on the radio' then keep the flat bass-high treble gain guitar tone, it gives an extra charm to the whole thing.

The singer is a bit flat on 'Medicine' but not to an annoying degree. Usually when a singer is off-note and you add lots of reverb to it (as in this case) the slight detuning is compounded,you know what I mean? Something to keep an ear out for. Generally 'Medicine' is my least favourite track because of the psycheout 'empty space' feel in the verses. Sounds like a jam a band does when they first get together, you know?

I'll listen to more bands in this thread soon, good to see it resurrected.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I used to play in a band called Lamentations here in Ireland. I'm currently searching for our first (and only) demo, as well as a gig we did in a bar called Jerry's - I don't have those tapes anymore but SOMEONE somewhere does, I'm sure of this!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Helm wrote:Bigfoot I'm sorry, I didn't notice your comment, I wasn't snubbing you or anything. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. I'm not sure what context you're after... musically if you think about say, early Tiamat (Astral Sleep?) with early Anathema (Serenades) composing music with Psychotic Waltz (A Social Grace) while In The Woods (HEart of the Ages) surveys I think that's pretty close. If these bands aren't familiar to you, I wholeheartedly recommend them, they've been extremely positive influences in my life.

As to background info on the human whys and hows, probably better not publicly because the whole thing is kinda secretive. I believe this is the first time I've put a song of ours on a forum on the internet, but I think of the Corroseum as a safe haven, in a way, heh.

Which reminds me I also listened to the Bigfoot 4 song EP recently and I listened to it again now, here's my thoughts:

First of all I really really enjoy the singer's vocal lines. There's something really direct and melancholic about his range and choices of modulation. The guitarist has kind of a weird tone (is that the psyche influence?) but I appreciate that the mix is such that I can follow all the instruments at the same time. The material is pretty diverse actually and though I do note some songwriting lag during 'Medicine' it may be more attributed to my tastes than anything.

The most important thing I get from this material is the impression that the impulse that lead to the music is something human and real and that's hard to not be charmed by regardless of the conventions (or lack of) of the material.

Am I wrong to feel that the cementing influence here is 70's hard rock and proto-metal like Grand Funk, Cactus, Sabbath et al? I don't know if it's on purpose but this sort of music roundaboutly seems informed by the grunge thing of the mid 90's, I mean this can stand next to Soundgarden pretty well and I get a similar vibe from Alice in Chains, is that intentional?

I really think that - if that was your intention - this sort of music could appeal widely to people though I'd have my reservations on the guitar tone. I think a more conservative rhythm guitar tone might have helped in that direction but if you don't care about 'being played on the radio' then keep the flat bass-high treble gain guitar tone, it gives an extra charm to the whole thing.

The singer is a bit flat on 'Medicine' but not to an annoying degree. Usually when a singer is off-note and you add lots of reverb to it (as in this case) the slight detuning is compounded,you know what I mean? Something to keep an ear out for. Generally 'Medicine' is my least favourite track because of the psycheout 'empty space' feel in the verses. Sounds like a jam a band does when they first get together, you know?

I'll listen to more bands in this thread soon, good to see it resurrected.
Helm, no worries, i had forgotten all about this thread and certainly didn't feel snubbed that you hadn't replied until now. In regards to the song you posted, i enquired about the scope of the music as i had no frame of reference for this type of style at all. At the time when all these "new" sub-genres came about (Grind/Black/Death/Pagan/Metalcore/Whatever-the-hell-they're-calling-it-this-week metal), i was losing interest in what passed for the whole Metal scene, and started instead seeking out older stuff that had passed me by. The whole growly style of singing just turned me off of investigating most of the Metal music that came out from the early to mid '90's altogether. Although i'm more tolerant of that vocal style nowadays i still love to hear singers who can sing.
The thing that impressed me most in the song you posted was the scope and breadth of it's sound, it managed to sound epic and intimate at the same time, which is a very neat trick!
Many thanks for the reference points and recommendations, i'll certainly give some of them a listen. I'm sure i heard In The Woods at some point in the past and thought they might be worthy of further investigation, so i may start there.
Thanks for your considered in depth opinions of my band's EP too, it's always interesting to me to get an outsider's perspective as i often feel too close to the music to view it objectively. Thanks for the (mainly) kind words on my singing, and my choice of vocal lines, that's something i work really hard on, so it was nice to have it noticed. As for your comments about the guitar tone, we actually felt that the sound had been neutered somewhat by the mix, it sounded so much rawer in the studio than it did after the mixdown. Yes, "Medicine" is a bit of a sprawl, fair comment, when we play it now it's far shorter, back then we used to use it as a song where we could stretch out and improvise live. I've got a 14 minute live version somewhere on cd-r with a spontaneous (dub) reggae mid-section that really cooks!
I can certainly hear the reference points you attribute to our sound, (although i doubt the other guys in the band have ever heard Cactus or Grand Funk), we all have very different tastes. If memory serves, the only common bands in our record collections are Frank Zappa, Sex Pistols, Slayer, Sabbath and Creedence Clearwater Revival!
I'll put up some of Bigfoot's recent material if there's any interest, as our sound has progressed in the 5 years since that EP significantly.
Thanks again for your considered critiquing Helm, i appreciate you taking the time.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

daniel wrote:The BALROG demo file has been deleted, I'd like to hear it though
Same here!

Got round to listening to the Bigfoot EP finally, & it's definitely getting my head nodding. Grooveh.

About time I contributed something...

"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Helm

Post by Helm »

I'll put up some of Bigfoot's recent material if there's any interest, as our sound has progressed in the 5 years since that EP significantly.
I'm interested.
voidghast

Post by voidghast »

An interesting thread here. I had already heard Pedo and Dawnbringer. Pedo is decent-great but not my kind of death metal. I'm more of an Immolation, Gorguts guy but once in awhile I want to listen to this kind of dirty Autopsy/Impetigo death metal. Dawnbringer is really good and while being very simple in terms of songwriting and instrumentation, it comes off as brilliant when taking into consideration the lyrics, the mysterious aura surrounding the whole project, the cover artwork.
As far as stuff I hadn't heard until reading through this whole thread I'd have to say my favorites are the two Quicksand Dream tracks and Helm's Locust Leaves song. The "Recreate a Thought" song is above average but "Wings of Suffering" is absolutely fantastic. It's got that great Arabian Nights atmosphere to it and I like the mid range vocals..they work far better than low vocals would. That particular song managed to keep my attention for the entire listen while the other one bored me just a little bit. Helm's project sounds pretty unique, I was expecting that to be the case. Very ethereal and haunting. Sounds like just about all the influences listed with the exception of Psychotic Waltz but then again, I've only heard their first album. Nice to include the lyrics as well as they are difficult to make out.

I once recorded a poor 3rd wave black metal demo with some friends but I don't have the tape at my house(that's my legit excuse for not contributing). It's pretty bad on all levels..the only cool thing about it is the band name, Xytraguptorh.
xr2m

Post by xr2m »

I played in a black metal band called Lycanthropy from 1994 to 2000. We did a few demos and two CDs on a German label. Looking back on it, I think our material totally sucks ass, but I do have some great nostalgic memories of those times. Nowadays I can't relate to whatever mindset I was in at the time we did the band, though.
daniel

Post by daniel »

I do make music for one Doom Metal band but don't want to post anything here, I think the first demo is terrible haha and the second one isn't finished yet... and there are other bands I perhaps waste my time with but nothing recorded yet - of course there's older stuff I have rehearsals of but I wouldn't dream of letting anyone hear it haha ;) Another thing I love is the acoustic guitar and have made a few demo recordings of various material, and, the latest thing was from 2007 just a demo of two tracks, I'm not going to explain the idea behind any of it cos it feels a bit pretentious doing so, but here; The Path of the Flaming Sword 'EP':

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CZAYCCCF

and there are two other random tracks there, one written for and the same day as one of my animals died...
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Stark

Post by Stark »

Hehe, just dug out an old demo by my first band TNT from 1977. The band consisted of:
Pelle Thuresson: vocals/rhythm guitar (later in Paradize, Overdrive)
Janne Stark: guitar (me, that is)
Ola Persson: bass/vocals (later in Turbo and Mercy)
Janne Gummesson: drums (he was in the first incarnation of Paradize, but due to a motorbike accident he lost hearing on one ear and had to quit playing).
We recorded a demo which has a weird cover of Budgie's "Napoleon Bona Part 1" (Ola didn't know the lyrics), a proto-version of "Nattens barn" (later recorded by Turbo) and some other originals in the same style.
I'll transfer it to disc and upload it.

We recorded a demo with Paradize, too, but noone in the band can find it. The guy who recorded it passed away because of diabetes 15 years ago.
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
Zuul

Post by Zuul »

heres another band I've been doing since before Zuul http://www.myspace.com/theeoblongbox Got bored the other day and had these rehearsal tracks sitting around that no ones heard and decided to put them up. We don't get much done as we've basically played the same 6 songs for six years now but there is a lot more material written and we just started rehearsing again. THe only goal right now is to record those damn six songs for a demo.
Tom Bola

Post by Tom Bola »

New here, and also new on Myspace...

Uploaded two songs recorded in the rehearsal room on our 4 tracker in 2005 (so not the best sound...). But who cares about production, right? :D

80's metal it is:

www.myspace.com/diamonddream1
Voland

Post by Voland »

Tom Bola wrote:New here, and also new on Myspace...

Uploaded two songs recorded in the rehearsal room on our 4 tracker in 2005 (so not the best sound...). But who cares about production, right? :D

80's metal it is:

Bola! Long time!!! :D

So you guys have finally found The Internet! What did it take, 15 years? Sick solos as always... PM for a beer or two!
Chafe

Post by Chafe »

Tom Bola wrote:New here, and also new on Myspace...

80's metal it is:

AMAZING!!!!!, hope you release something soon!!!
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

a lil bit of self promotion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF-bVdPteDM