Psychedelic Metal Recommendations?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
bigfootkit

Psychedelic Metal Recommendations?

Post by bigfootkit »

Was just wondering if any of you could recommend some proper psychedelic Heavy Metal bands whom i may not have encountered.
Some of those early 70's "proto" Metal bands like Captain Beyond and Sir Lord Baltimore managed to pull off the blend really well, but most of these "Doom" & "Stoner" bands nowadays just recycle Sabbath without any individuality.
There were still traces of the style in a lot of the early NWOBHM bands, but the psychedelic "thread" seems to be lost in modern Metal.
I reckon Voivod probably pull it off better than any band i've heard since, but i'd be happy to be proved wrong.
Suggestions?
tomas

Post by tomas »

First one that comes to mind:
Dwarr - Animals LP

By the way: are you looking for real heavy metal bands with psych influences? Or old psych that just was realy heavy?

Another one:
Cirith Ungol - the old demo's are really cool. They were reissued on double CD with a few live tracks and unreleased songs. Proggy hardrock metal with lots of synth.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

THE MEZMERIST of course. Haunting, twisted and absolutely unique.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I just got the MEZMERIST EP recently, good call!
It's really unique sounding and it has that "vibe" maaan.
Am already a big Cirith Ungol fan & have the Dwaar album you recommended, although i haven't really got to grips with "Animals" yet, i think it's gonna take a few plays to get used to, really unsettling stuff.
I was meaning Metal bands who incorporate psychedelia really, but heavy old psych bands would suit me just as well.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Have you had in mind strictly Heavy bands or Thrash and Death Metal bands would count, too? Isn't Coven - Worship New Gods psychedelic in a way?
I am ... the One you warned me of
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Jex Thoth! I haven't hear Totem yet but Jex T. sounds really spacy and drenched in psylocybin with a deadly heavy sound.
tomas

Post by tomas »

Totem is the same band, they just did a namechange.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Haven't heard Jex Toth or Totem, sounds interesting.
Thanks for the tips.
:wink:
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

tomas wrote:Totem is the same band, they just did a namechange.
Oh, cheers for clearing that up!
Rock Beast

Post by Rock Beast »

Legend !!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Rock Beast wrote:Legend !!
Good call Rock Beast, i already have their "Anthology" album, which compiles the first 2 albums & the ep, nice stuff, i'm not sure if their reformation was any good though, is "Still Screaming" worth getting?
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

There were more obscure Heavy sounding Psychedelic bands.Check out for example Neurotic (US)

Heavy Shit here.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

lunaboy wrote:There were more obscure Heavy sounding Psychedelic bands.Check out for example Neurotic (US)

Heavy Shit here.
Wow! This is a new one to me, the tracks on the myspace site sound great, do you know if the rest of the "Mazy Craniacs" album is of this same standard?
Thanks very much for the tip off lunaboy.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

bigfootkit wrote:
lunaboy wrote:There were more obscure Heavy sounding Psychedelic bands.Check out for example Neurotic (US)

Heavy Shit here.
Wow! This is a new one to me, the tracks on the myspace site sound great, do you know if the rest of the "Mazy Craniacs" album is of this same standard?
Thanks very much for the tip off lunaboy.
It is of the same standard, but not all as psych as Bomb Day. It has a really raw sound and the guitar is buried(12 feet under) in the mix.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Wicked Lady, if you haven't already heard of them. More hard rock than metal perhaps, but psychedelic as hell.