"Classics" that leave you cold

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Morbid Tapes

Post by Morbid Tapes »

"Classics" that leave me cold:

Voivod - Killing Technology (and most other Voivod albums really)
Megadeth - everything (I hate that band with a passion)
Blasphemy - Fallen Angel Of Doom
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

BlackStele wrote: Piledriver=tripe soup

I just can't fuckin stand all of them...
Hey,what's wrong with tripe soup?
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

doomedplanet wrote:this is an interesting comment since I think they peaked at their first album and by Master I lost interest.
Helm wrote: Something from the eighties... hm... well, the first Liege Lord is considered by many to be amazing, but I think they hit their stride by Master. It's not bad by any means though. A lot of US Power is overrated (at least here in greece :P )
Same here, the first Liege Lord has it all to be an immortal classic. Balls out epic heavy metal the way it should be. Master Control has some nice songs but has already that goddamn modern approach, eliminating all testosteron they once had. Don't get me wrong; Master Control is a nice album but not 1% near the absolute marvellous first album. For instance: name me one section that is better then the middle part of "Warriors Farewell", impossible!!!!!
Long Live The Loud !!!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Helm wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:
BlackStele wrote:Pantera = Broccoli
Kreator=Aubergines
Dream Theater=split peas
Piledriver=tripe soup

I just can't fuckin stand all of them...
Brilliant, i laughed out loud. :wink:

On a slightly related note, i see there are a few here who can't get into Mercyful Fate, having heard the new Metallica song "The Day That Never Comes", you're probably gonna hate it too. Although it starts off like a ballad, the last four minutes sound like prime Fate! Harmony leads, time changes, spiralling riffage, it smacks of "Satan's Fall" to me.
I'm hoping the rest of their new material sounds like this, i know that's birds nest soup to some of you, but as they say, one mans meat is another mans poison.
:wink:
It's like somebody's highschool band trying to do a nwobhmesque medley. Prime Fate also requires actually brilliant riffs and solos and lots of them. Not just riffs and solos and lots of them.
My first impression was much the same Helm, but after a few plays it really fell into place for me and i can't stop playing it. Having said that i have "My Armageddon" from the new album too and it's crud, absolute toss. I really wasn't expecting much from Metallica to be honest, but that song really piqued my interest.
Witchfynde

Post by Witchfynde »

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

a boring album. Unbelievable after their earlier masterpieces. They said it was to be their Reign in blood...
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

I still enjoy Slaughter of the Soul, even after all those cacky metalcore copyists. Had my copy signed by all five of 'em back in 1996 & I cherish it. Still prefer the complexity of their earlier work tho'.

Here's a forum fave I don't like: Purgatory's Tied to the Trax. It's just really cringeable & cheddary. Nearly as bad as Lääz Rockit.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Witchfynde wrote:At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul.
:wink:
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The Sentinel wrote:
doomedplanet wrote:this is an interesting comment since I think they peaked at their first album and by Master I lost interest.
Helm wrote: Something from the eighties... hm... well, the first Liege Lord is considered by many to be amazing, but I think they hit their stride by Master. It's not bad by any means though. A lot of US Power is overrated (at least here in greece :P )
Same here, the first Liege Lord has it all to be an immortal classic. Balls out epic heavy metal the way it should be. Master Control has some nice songs but has already that goddamn modern approach, eliminating all testosteron they once had. Don't get me wrong; Master Control is a nice album but not 1% near the absolute marvellous first album. For instance: name me one section that is better then the middle part of "Warriors Farewell", impossible!!!!!
Master Control shortened is MASTERPIECE.

"Freedom's Rise" is an awesome album, but Master Control is THE ALBUM.

The vocals alone are such a huge improvement that I can barely even fairly compare the two...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:Here's a forum fave I don't like: Purgatory's Tied to the Trax. It's just really cringeable & cheddary. Nearly as bad as Lääz Rockit.
I didn't just read that... I didn't just read that!!!!!.............

Excuse me, while I make myself believe it...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
HamburgerBoy

Post by HamburgerBoy »

Anthrax, for being the first major thrash band to contribute to thrash's downfall. Proto-groovy parts, lame attempts at comedy, and weak PC lyrics as early as 1987. Spreading the Disease is still good though.

Sodom has never done anything for me. They have some slight moments of enjoyability when at their most primitive and/or brutal (In the Sign of Evil, Obsessed by Cruelty, and Tapping the Vein) but the rest of their discography seems really unoriginal and monotonous.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Avenger wrote:
The Sentinel wrote:
Master Control shortened is MASTERPIECE.

"Freedom's Rise" is an awesome album, but Master Control is THE ALBUM.

The vocals alone are such a huge improvement that I can barely even fairly compare the two...
I love all Liege Lord releases. However, i'll have to agree with Avenger. With Master Control they reached the TOP. A top-20 US metal album with stellar riffing and godly vocals by Comaeu. Freedom's rise is not overrated by any means as it features somer real monster songs and the same thing happens with Burn to my touch. Huge band.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

I'm into Master Control more too.The title track is immortal!
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Witchkiller wrote:I don't like Slayer
Really? It's hard for me to believe anyone could not like Show No Mercy as for me it's the perfect 10/10 metal record...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

The Knell wrote:
Witchkiller wrote:I don't like Slayer
Really? It's hard for me to believe anyone could not like Show No Mercy as for me it's the perfect 10/10 metal record...
or the un-godly HELL AWAITS