What year do you feel NWOBHM ended?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Keir

Post by Keir »

I haven't heard their demos either, but I do think that the song "The Reaper" from Heavy Metal Heroes is their best song.
Crimson Angel

Post by Crimson Angel »

Abyss wrote:
Crimson Angel wrote:I believe that the first wave of NWOBHM ended in 1982. Angel Witch, Diamond Head, Raven are the bands that I prefer from the first wave. But I like more the second wave with Grim Reaper being one of my favorite bands!
Grim Reaper for me are one of the worst NWOBHM bands.
Opinions may vary for anything :wink:
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

Well I guess the NWOBHM in itself was definitely influenced by the punk movement from slightly earlier and definitely upped the tempo of heavy metal in general around the time but then again I think if you take a band like DESOLATION ANGELS and their "valhalla" ep from '82 and they only released their full length in 86 which to me is nwobhm and there were plenty other bands in a similar situation. I think even their self released tape of 1990 while being a little more on the easy listening side of the genre has it's roots firmly implanted in the nwobhm and that was in 1990. I guess the general rule of 78-82 is fair enough but many bands had stuff released after that was equally as good if not better in some cases....like SAMURAI!!
You also have to look at the diversity of the nwobhm from the high energy uptempo stuff to the likes of WITCHFYNDE or WITCHFINDER GENERAL for example.
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

I read in a book a longtime ago it was officially 1979-1981... but that just seems too soon for it to end because there were still bands booming after that.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:I read in a book a longtime ago it was officially 1979-1981... but that just seems too soon for it to end because there were still bands booming after that.
I read that 1983 was official. And I concur with that.
DMR

Post by DMR »

"Official?" Is there some NWOBHM Council of Elders that makes official decisions and decrees?
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

DMR wrote:"Official?" Is there some NWOBHM Council of Elders that makes official decisions and decrees?
Yes, yes there is.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Black Axe wrote:
DMR wrote:"Official?" Is there some NWOBHM Council of Elders that makes official decisions and decrees?
Yes, yes there is.
Yes, that's something i wanted to ask too. Who is the one that decides about what's original/official or not? :? :? :?
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Black Axe wrote:
Yes, yes there is.
Yes, that's something i wanted to ask too. Who is the one that decides about what's original/official or not? :? :? :?
Obviously, it's the most "kvltist" of the "kvlt" AKA: those unemployed, 35 year old bastards still living in their parents basement.

Edit: "official" my ass...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

I guess 83 is a fair estimate as even if bands of the nwobhm period released their albums later well I guess like the name says NEW WAVE OF BRITISH HM....I guess in 85 or 86 it was hardly new anymore.
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Black Axe wrote:
Yes, yes there is.
Who is the one that decides about what's original/official or not? :? :? :?
Retards like Martin Popoff who are self proclaimed metal genius snobs.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:
Black Axe wrote:Yes, yes there is.
Who is the one that decides about what's original/official or not? :? :? :?
Retards like Martin Popoff who are self proclaimed metal genius snobs.
:lol: 8) Thumbs up dude, fuck snobs and metal geniouses.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

Haha, Marin Popoff's NWOBHM book is hilarous.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Avenger wrote:Obviously, it's the most "kvltist" of the "kvlt" AKA: those unemployed, 35 year old bastards still living in their parents basement.
I wouldn't utter so specific words on this particular forum. :lol:
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

I would say 1985...I was pretty new and cool when NWOBHM started when I was in 6th grade in 1980, but by 1985 when Blitzkrieg "A time of Changes" came out the beginning in my senior year of high school. I could see this style to no-longer compete with the bigger bands of thrash metal Metallica, Metal Church (supported by thrashers like myself originally), Overkill, Anthrax, Slayer, Exodus, and Exciter

Even though I was excited by the cool riffing and excellent singing, but I was getting into the heavier sounds of hardcore thash punk rock, and speed metal bands and power metal bands who were thrashing metal mad. As well some new cool death and black metal bands who sounded pretty fresh sounding at the time.

I thought NWOBHM was the coolest thing ever...then I discovered stuff like Black Flag, Discharge, Suicidal tendencies, DRI, Corrosion of Conformity, Metallica, Slayer, Exciter, Exodus, Mercyful Fate, Anthrax...then I realized the evolution of heavy metal was the bands were playing faster and heavier riffs, with better songwriting with more virtusoity.

So I began to look for bands, who knew where to push the sonic envelope.

When I first heard Metallica "Kill em all" beginning of 10th grade, i recognized this sound as super-charged NWOBHM, I could hear the Tygers of Pan Tang, Raven, Venom, Satan, Mercyful Fate, Holocaust, Jaguar, Diamond Head, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Discharge.

Suicidal Tendencies released there first album a few weeks earlier...so with Discharge, Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, Venom and now Metallica.

I started to look at NWOBHM as NOT my music any more, because those guys were 10 years older than me and bands like Metallica, Exodus, Anthrax, Satan, Mercyful Fate, all had members closer to my age, and I could relate to them more, because I had the same beliefs/ philosophy as to how heavy metal should be played. With Power and Originality.

My first heavy metal heros were Randy Rhodes, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden. So I appreciate NWOBHM because it gave me a good foundation, when I decided to become a hardcore thrashing metal maniac.

After thrash metal and power metal ran its course...I was glad to still have my NWOBHM metal records.

As a hardcore Metalllica devotee through out Junior and High School, At the time...I was glad the Metallica's "Master of Puppets" released February 1986 drove the final coffin in the nail of traditional and NWOBHM, but it also killed of hardcore thrashing punk rock in the process, and the crossover trend kind of at the same time.

Being a collector from that era, I just learned to just collect the bands who had the most authenticity, no matter of there sub-genre.

NWOBHM- had tons of killer metal. But I would say it was December 1983 that caused alot of metallers like myself to look for bands even faster/ heavier than Riot, Raven, Anvil, Accept Oz. Before Slayer, I was a total Anvil freak and fanatic. But after Slayer released "Show No Mercy". I figured the Anvil/ Raven was not the direction to go... but in this Discharge, Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, Metallica, Venom, Motorhead direction.

1984's Exodus - A lesson in Violence advance copy, which would be come "Bonded by Blood" was a good reference point, when thrash strarted to look like the future for heavy metal. Even though that album has NWOBHM influences all over the place like Satan's "Court in the Act" and Mercyful Fate's "Melissa" + Saxon and Venom influences, alongside Angel Witch and ChargedGBH.

Mercyful Fate's "Melissa" was a album that always made me want to seek out the most lethal molten metal known to mankind.