Same Riff??? (Riff-Off)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Running Wild-Bones to ashes and Judas Priest-Tyrant

just chek the opening riffs and you will see what i mean! :?
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

ION BRITTON wrote:CHAOS UK - Control / SODOM - Outbreak of evil
"Outbreak of Evil" -> "Kick Out the Jams"!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

another JUDAS P one!

check out the intro riff from Virgin Steele's "Heading For A Life of Crime" and the classic "you got another thing coming" :wink:
®O©O

Post by ®O©O »

Kabat - Ma ji motorovou = Ferat - Strach
Dave_the_Boss

Post by Dave_the_Boss »

The Obsessed - Freedom sounds a LOT like Black Sabbath - Slipping Away.
GJ

Post by GJ »

The wonderful opening/closing guitar melody from Reach for the Sky (Cloven Hoof) and that ugly chorus from I was made for loving you (Kiss).

Damned irritating come to think of it. Shouldn't have made this post in case it's infectious, but I'll do it anyway (because I am evil :twisted: ).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - :roll:
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

stormspell wrote:When it comes to stealing, notthing can compare to songlifter masters like ICEBERG and IMPULSE. Those bands used to lift off entire songs, write own lyrics, and credit the songs to themselves:

ICEBERG - Breathless = FLOTSAM & JETSAM - Suffer the Masses
ICEBERG - The Wizard = GALAXY GROUP - Ya Metal
ICEBERG - the Ballad = STORMWITCH - Tears by the firelight
ICEBERG - Surce ot Stomana = PRETTY MAIDS - Savage Heart

Also AGENT STEEL's The Day at Guyana has been dissected and used all over "HERETIC" album, along with riffs from Candlemass and Iron Maiden among many others :)

IMPULSE - Gladiator is full with riffs lifted off Racer X, including one entire song...

We will see when IMPULSE finally release the long-lost "Iron Rod" album how many riffs have been lifted and from where :lol:
Just noticed that one of the B-side tracks on the ICEBERG tape is more or less a cover of a SLAYER song (Crionics I think) and a OSSIAN song from "Aszelsiv" - that song with the very Hungarian football-chorus.
Fun records
Ernest Thesiger

Blatant "Four Horsemen" ripoff in the middle of "The Cage" by Atomkraft.
In The Raw

Post by In The Raw »

Interesting thread.

Here's a good one by one of my favorite bands (see avatar):

THE RODS - "Bad Blood" actually manages to rip off 2 riffs in one song: The opening riff is Priest's "Electric Eye" and later on in the track they steal a major "Breaking The Law" riff. Then there is THE RODS "Another Night On The Town" which RODS guitarist Feinsten called "Another Night On The Silver Mountain Town" because the riff is identical to the RAINBOW track.

Others:

LONE STAR's "From All Of Us, To All Of You" has the same opening riff as DEEP PURPLE's "Burn".

MANOWAR's "Shell Shock" always reminds me of THE SCORPIONS "I've Got To Be Free" off their "Taken By Force" lp

Then there is the LED ZEP/LUCIFER'S FRIEND "Immigrant Song"/"Ride The Sky" thing - though they were both released so close together I cannot tell who ripped off who....
"On your feet, or on your knees"
GJ

Post by GJ »

In The Raw wrote: Then there is THE RODS "Another Night On The Town" which RODS guitarist Feinsten called "Another Night On The Silver Mountain Town" because the riff is identical to the RAINBOW track.
I wouldn't call it identical - rather than that it shares many ingredients both in melody and rhythm - and since the Rainbow riff is quite original (and pretty long too for a riff) there is no doubt they knew that their little tribute would not pass unidentified.
DMR

Post by DMR »

In The Raw wrote:Then there is the LED ZEP/LUCIFER'S FRIEND "Immigrant Song"/"Ride The Sky" thing - though they were both released so close together I cannot tell who ripped off who....
Jimmy Page ripped off lots and lots of bands, so I'd suspect him. That guy's a fucking jackass.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

DMR wrote:
In The Raw wrote:Then there is the LED ZEP/LUCIFER'S FRIEND "Immigrant Song"/"Ride The Sky" thing - though they were both released so close together I cannot tell who ripped off who....
Jimmy Page ripped off lots and lots of bands, so I'd suspect him. That guy's a fucking jackass.
Or more likely, they both stole it from some blues artist. This was Page's area of expertise after all.

Then again, LF sound a lot like Purple/Zeppelin and they had releases before LF came to be.
Ernest Thesiger

Venom's "Welcome to Hell" & Vandale's "Rad(t)".
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Cro-Mags - Malfunction & Medieval - The Seventh Seal.

Don't know which song kicks more ass though.
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Damn..just heard "Satan's Empire - Soldiers of War" for the first time, and when I got to the verse-riff I was stunned. I know i've heard it somewhere else but I can't figure out where..

edit: Wait, I think I figured it out..Pagan Altar - Pagan Altar around 04:50